Laser Displays vs. SEDs, OLEDs, LEDs, LCDs, Plasma, etc.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I witnessed this interesting presentation from Novalux in regards to Laser Light Sources for Projection display...



http://www.novalux.com/assets/downlo...D2-2%20PDF.pdf



I wanted to discuss the viability of finding this technology in Mac displays anytime in the near future. Thoughts? This technology appears pretty promising, and so I wanted to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of it in regards to other display technologies as well.



I picture a totally pimped out Mac Pro with built in Blu-ray drive with a Laser Display boasting a near 100% color gamut, great contrast, thin encosure, etc. Ya feelin me?
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,277member
    Nice but I'd supplant that BD drive for a HD DVD drive



    My predictions for the future.





    LED- is going to become the defacto standard for LCD screens and projectors.



    LiFi - will contend with LED www.luxim.com for more info. Panasonic will use LiFi in a couple of their LCD lines.



    Novalux- Laser projector technology will likely hit mass production in late 2008 early 2009 is my guess. It's going to have to compete hard to catch up with LED and LiFi IMO.



    DLP -is going to diminish in both HDTV monitors and projectors.



    SED -is dead and we'll never see them.



    OLED- is fantastic technology but price considerations will keep them at relatively small sizes. They'll make excellent use in areas where small screens and low power are a must.



    We now have 120hz screens that promise to eliminate "judder" from 24fps cinema. We have LED and LiFi drastically increasing the longevity of lamp and Laser technology waiting in the wings. We have 1080p projectors dropping drastically in price.



    We have excellent technology like *cough* Blu-ray and HD DVD for packaged media and excellent AVCHD and HDV camcorders.



    Now is the right time for HD.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    In my opinion the next step after LED LCD panels, will most certainly be OLED displays. They are cheaper to manufacture, it's just that the consumer may incur production set-up tax for the first year or two on them, so it may take a that much time for them to drop in price. They have already being demoed with 1,000,000/1 contrast ratio, because they don't have a backlight, and for that reason they are considerably better for low power consumption, which will be exponentially beneficial to notebook battery life, alongside affordable flash hard drives. The brightness of these displays will be of great benifit to people using their notebooks in bright light. The color of them is leaps ahead of current displays, and they will be thinner and lighter displays too.



    The only real obstacle that still remains is the life-span of the organic compounds used, though you can bet that will be solved sooner or later
  • Reply 3 of 57
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I see solid state laser taking over from where large format LCD and plasma displays left off. I agree with the above comments that LED/LCD will pave the way for the smaller formats until OLED becomes affordable. The thought of a nice 52in laser panel next year is the only thing holding me back from buying a new TV right now to replace my 1080i.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Nice but I'd supplant that BD drive for a HD DVD drive



    My predictions for the future.





    LED- is going to become the defacto standard for LCD screens and projectors.



    LiFi - will contend with LED www.luxim.com for more info. Panasonic will use LiFi in a couple of their LCD lines.



    Novalux- Laser projector technology will likely hit mass production in late 2008 early 2009 is my guess. It's going to have to compete hard to catch up with LED and LiFi IMO.



    DLP -is going to diminish in both HDTV monitors and projectors.



    SED -is dead and we'll never see them.



    OLED- is fantastic technology but price considerations will keep them at relatively small sizes. They'll make excellent use in areas where small screens and low power are a must.



    We now have 120hz screens that promise to eliminate "judder" from 24fps cinema. We have LED and LiFi drastically increasing the longevity of lamp and Laser technology waiting in the wings. We have 1080p projectors dropping drastically in price.



    We have excellent technology like *cough* Blu-ray and HD DVD for packaged media and excellent AVCHD and HDV camcorders.



    Now is the right time for HD.



    Hahahaha! LOL. I have a question though, what makes LED or OLED more viable than Laser displays, other than cost. Which is truly better?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Forget that post.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post


    I have a question though, what makes LED or OLED more viable than Laser displays, other than cost. Which is truly better?



    OLED is KING!
  • Reply 7 of 57
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Nice but I'd supplant that BD drive for a HD DVD drive



    My predictions for the future.





    LED- is going to become the defacto standard for LCD screens and projectors.



    LiFi - will contend with LED www.luxim.com for more info. Panasonic will use LiFi in a couple of their LCD lines.



    Novalux- Laser projector technology will likely hit mass production in late 2008 early 2009 is my guess. It's going to have to compete hard to catch up with LED and LiFi IMO.



    DLP -is going to diminish in both HDTV monitors and projectors.



    SED -is dead and we'll never see them.



    OLED- is fantastic technology but price considerations will keep them at relatively small sizes. They'll make excellent use in areas where small screens and low power are a must.



    We now have 120hz screens that promise to eliminate "judder" from 24fps cinema. We have LED and LiFi drastically increasing the longevity of lamp and Laser technology waiting in the wings. We have 1080p projectors dropping drastically in price.



    We have excellent technology like *cough* Blu-ray and HD DVD for packaged media and excellent AVCHD and HDV camcorders.



    Now is the right time for HD.



    The price of DLP is dropping pretty fast and the advancements and technology offer a pretty good picture in comparison. I don't know what if anything will win out, but DLP offers a pretty good lower end choice given the current technology as long as they continue to offer the 42-46" range.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    That laser shit looks pretty sweet to me. I'm excited to see how it progresses.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,399member
    Sorry, couldn't find the Sony flexible display thread, so...



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7QbQugXy1A
  • Reply 10 of 57
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm with Spam and Ireland. OLED looks like the shit. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple purchase the market in this like they've done with flash to get a huge lead on the competition. This technology just seems to fit into the Apple design philosophy of this era.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    tankgunktankgunk Posts: 43member
    I can see laser projection in small devices, because a laser projector could be "focusless", meaning you could simply point and project.



    However, I think that laser projection will take a good while to worm its way into TVs and larger projectors, simply because it hasn't been perfected, and also because some people just won't see a reason to change.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,229moderator
    The prototypes for OLED are out - I think that video above showed one of them:



    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...y/article.html



    One of the best uses I could see for a flexible display would be a 360 degree dome. Great for virtual reality. Video games would be great with one of them like a helmet, but you'd probably only be able to use it for short periods of time.



    Here's hoping full displays arrive around autumn this year.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post


    The price of DLP is dropping pretty fast and the advancements and technology offer a pretty good picture in comparison. I don't know what if anything will win out, but DLP offers a pretty good lower end choice given the current technology as long as they continue to offer the 42-46" range.



    Agreed, I'm still debating on going with a Samsung 46" slimfit DLP or a 37" HD LCD. DLP is far from gone but I have to admit that HP dumping DLP models didn't look to good this year. I guess it all depends on the entertainment center I buy. Many now have LCD mounts built in but I may choose to just go with a console which would hold a 46" DLP just as easy.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tankgunk View Post


    I can see laser projection in small devices, because a laser projector could be "focusless", meaning you could simply point and project.



    However, I think that laser projection will take a good while to worm its way into TVs and larger projectors, simply because it hasn't been perfected, and also because some people just won't see a reason to change.



    Lasers are intriguing. I hope Novalux can get their product out and get some design wins like Luxim has. The idea of 20 thousand hour life on LCDs sound great ...especially for gaming on a projector. No worrying about bulb replacements!



    If I had my druthers though I'd be right there with Ireland pining for OLED based screens. The thinness and contrast ratio are mind blowing. I wonder how much power a 30" OLED display requires.



    I'd love to see an ADC2 which would deliver digital signaling, audio and power fit to run a 30" monitor over a single cable. I love eliminating cable clutter.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    acocddyacocddy Posts: 1member
    In my opinion sed is the best
  • Reply 15 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acocddy View Post


    In my opinion sed is the best



    SED delayed again



    Lets hope SED ships. It's enticing technically but they delays and failure to move the product forward reduce it's relevance as a future technology that will be anything but a niche.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    The new Pioneer plasmas shows that plasma is currently still the king,
  • Reply 17 of 57
    kobe12erkobe12er Posts: 1member
    Great find! Thanks for posting this, that's my something new for today learnt.

    ------------------------

    Video Tools

    http://www.bestvideotools.com
  • Reply 18 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post


    The new Pioneer plasmas shows that plasma is currently still the king,



    100% true.. currently.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    100% true.. currently.



    100% true? 25%, I can agree with. 50%, I can accept. 75%, I can live with. It is clearly true that plasma has some advantages over other technologies. But, 100% means that plasma beats them in every way. This is simply not true. If you want lightweight, then plasma loses to LCD. If you want low price, then plasma loses to varies rear-projection technologies. If you want a 1080p plasma display, then you have to twiddle your thumbs for a few weeks more. You can, however, buy a 1080p LCD flat panel TV set today in sizes as small as 32" or as large as 65."
  • Reply 20 of 57
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    If you want lightweight, then plasma loses to LCD.



    What? Most LCDs either weigh more than or around the same as a similar sized plasma.



    But I was referring to the new Pioneer plasmas and image quality (the most important part).
Sign In or Register to comment.