Why are TV shows cancelled anymore?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Just saw that Jericho was canceled and there is a massive online campaign to get it back, so it's at least fairly popular.

With hundreds of networks on cable, satellite, and the internet why don't popular shows just move to another venue?

My guess is that the major networks contractually forbid this when they buy from the production companies, but why would production companies continue to accept this? Is this just a racket?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I would imagine it's because the networks aren't sure how they'll make money if a show is moved to an online distribution model. Even if there are hundreds of thousands of viewers of Jerico, their purchase of the show at $2 doesn't equal the millions that advertisers paid for spots when it was on the teevee.

The networks will figure something out, though. They have to.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    What is this "television" you talk about?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well for me there are 4 shows that should never have been cancelled...

All 3 by Joss Whedon, and one by Matt Groenig.

Buffy

Angel

Firefly

Futurama

If a new network could resurrect those four shows (and not have to pay the stars a gazillion bucks) it would be the most popular network ever.

Fox is a big red bloody turd of a network. :|

From Futurama:

TV Guy: "Oh my God!!! You've knocked FOX off the air!!!!"

Fry: "Like anyone on earth cares..."

Oooooh, that's my list too! Although Buffy was because Sarah Michelle Gellar wanted to move on, if I recall correctly. Angel was cut down in mid-stride and Firefly was never given a chance to develop its mythology, although it was never anything but excellent from the first episode.

Futurama has got some weird deal going where Fox bankrolled something like 4 "DVD movies" and Comedy Central is going to air chopped up versions as new episodes (Matt Groening is doing the chopping, so it's not evil).

I've got the Futurama DVDs, and I like it even more now than when it aired. It's got a sweetness to it that really draws you in.

I don't understand why something like Firefly isn't picked up by, say, SciFi. Seems like a perfect match for them.

For that matter, why does Joss Whedon not have a show on television? He's one of the great auteurs of the medium-- and it's not like his shows are anything but entertaining.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I'd have to add ST:TNG personally.

I never got into the shows that followed it.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Firefly was awesome, no doubt. Mostly because I discovered Morena Baccarin, but also just in general...
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Firefly was awesome, no doubt. Mostly because I discovered Morena Baccarin, but also just in general...

I'm a Jewel Staite man myself, although obviously Morena Baccarin is smokin' hot. It's just something about a girl with a wrench in her hand.....
  • Reply 7 of 36
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I suspect while there are other reasons that come into play for the most part the economics just don't make sense. If an economic case could be made to keep a show on a lesser network they would do it.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I would imagine it's because the networks aren't sure how they'll make money if a show is moved to an online distribution model. Even if there are hundreds of thousands of viewers of Jerico, their purchase of the show at $2 doesn't equal the millions that advertisers paid for spots when it was on the teevee.

But the show has been cancelled so there is no money comming from advertisers. Why not collect that $2?
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

But the show has been cancelled so there is no money comming from advertisers. Why not collect that $2?

Because that $2 is likely to produce far, far less revenue than adverising would have.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Perhaps if there is still a substantial audience for a show, but not enough to garner advertiser support, some shows could be downsized for 'lonleygirl' sized audiences on YouTube or by direct sales through iTunes.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Perhaps if there is still a substantial audience for a show, but not enough to garner advertiser support, some shows could be downsized for 'lonleygirl' sized audiences on YouTube or by direct sales through iTunes.

Bingo. For maybe $0.99 a pop there could be something between YouTube and a 42/44(?) minute full-blown TV show.

Online-only $0.99 Futurama Season 5 and 6, say 20 episodes per season, each episode 15 minutes in length, ...?? maybe??

Hell, people are paying $1.99 for a 4-6 minute music video. Which costs hundreds of thousands to make each video. (But yes I guess revenue is realised in song sales, MTV, etc. etc...)
  • Reply 12 of 36
    the entire scale of the online tv economy could be reduced. advertisers could pay less for spots on the shows, some of this revenue could be made up by people purchasing episodes, the lengths of each episode could be shortened, etc.

it only requires one tv exec to TRY it...
  • Reply 13 of 36
    shortened?!
  • Reply 14 of 36
    I am actually suggesting that these shows get reconceived away from exclussive evening viewing to something more like the youtube model...
  • Reply 15 of 36
    I understand that. But your average half-hour show is what, 18 minutes long? And an hour-long show is 42 or 44 minutes. That's not very much time.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    it depends upon your measure. plot or distraction from sex...
  • Reply 17 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    With the iTunes/YouTube deal and re-encoding of their assets in H.264, I think we're just steps away from a real pay-per-view YouTube network. Of course, they will continue to be dogged with lawsuits for years to come, but they have the dollars to fight it off.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, Futurama, for one is coming back. Groenig has made/is making 3 feature length movies for Fox that will be split and edited into episodes that will be shown on Comedy Central starting next year.

But I agree that Whedon HAS to do someTV project at some point...

But what's this about Veronica Mars (not Whedon but apparently Whedon likes it)? Is it any good? Never heard of it.

Yeah, I think some Buffy writers were on it? Started out as a sort of modernized Nancy Drew, intrepid wise cracking girl investigator with real investigator dad, and has dealt with some pretty heavy shit, so you can see why Whedon might dig it. Never really watched it enough to speak to its quality, however. Not enough of the undead for my tastes.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    In Feb, I delivered a paper on Lost at a conference and there was a woman on my panel talking about Veronica Mars. She made it sound really quite fascinating.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

In Feb, I delivered a paper on Lost at a conference and there was a woman on my panel talking about Veronica Mars. She made it sound really quite fascinating.

How are yo finding Lost these days, to venture a phrase?