iPhone discussion/question

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Do you guys thing there will be a rebate/discount with the purchase of the iPhone and a 2 year contract? Usually for instance if there is a $300 phone there will be a $100 mail-in rebate, a $50 instore rebate and like a 2 year activation rebate or something so the $300 phone will be like $150 or $100. Do you think anything like this will happen for the iPhone at launch?

And also I have a razr (black). Its my 6th razr on my warrenty . They all failed internally. Not from dropping it or anything. So I wan't a new phone. Do you think I should get the iPhone at launch? Or what is this 3G thing people are talking about that will come out on the iPhone later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    jbf13jbf13 Posts: 39member
    no one?!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I tend to think there will be no subsidation for the phone, traditionally speaking. You will pay $499 or $599 for it, but AT&T will give you something in the form of credit... maybe a year of free unlimited data or something like that.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up... just my thoughts.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    What do you guys think the data plans will be like/cost. Does anyone know what they are now?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There is a whole forum on this site dedicated to these subjects. iPhone, TV, iTunes, iPods. Your supposed to post your iPhone questions in there if they have not been answered already.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Apple has made it very clear that there will be no subsidizing in the iphone. That is their philosophy, especially with all their hardware. They make premium product for a premium cost. Plus the razr started at the 500 dollar mark, and it was an iconic symbol of status. Moto whored it out with rebates, and has struggled to make a profit ever since. More does not always equal more.

You will need to front atleast 500 clams to purchase an iphone, apple will not subsidize the phone cost. However, there has been much speculation that ATT will subsidize the data plan costs at a much reduced costs, maybe even for free. A normal plan is somewhat around $20 min for voice and $50 a month for data for $70 a month total. There has also been speculation that Att will offer a voice free data plan, which would be a first for the company i believe, saving customers $20 a month. There is even more speculation that ATT will offer six months of free data service, to entice customers with some sort of subsidation.

You may not need to sign a ridiculous contract at all however, as recently rumors have surfaced that the iphone will have a pay as you go plan.

However, besides these facts: Apple bought 100,000 15in LED screens; The stevenote is tuesday june 11th; the iphone recieved fcc approval; and ATT is reving up the marketing machine; we don't know anything. Most of what i told is based on rumors to inflate or kill the stock price. In fact, 75% are scared shitless that apple has nothing up their sleeve and the other 25% have fallen to blindness from RFD. You may not get much happy conversation regarding the iphone here, as most of us gotten ulsers of worry within the last four months talking about it, but you are free to do some checks in the archives. Read it all, its some good stuff.

P.S. 3G (Third Generation) is the leading edge technology on the market, available in major cities, for broadband data downloading. ATT does not offer it and many in the apple community think that it was foolish of apple to bind themselves to a somewhat feeble company, we'll see. ATT does offer EDGE which is a 2.75G tech, but apparently bitch ass slow (though ive never really used it, i wouldnt know.)

P.S.S. Ultimately we are all hoping that the iphone is release June 1st with wimax internet, skype, video conferencing with the camera in the screen, 32gb hardrive, updated .mac hosting service, ms. pacman, a built lazer pointer, and a "shadow steve for a day" card. However when apple fails to deliver our wildest fantasies the stock will fall after releasing an awesome product and a quarter of us will commit suicide.

PSSS. Oh and this website will speculate that the iphone will destroy the ipod and declare it as news, promtly after banning my existance for eternity.

I think thats about it, ill write if i think of anything else. search the archives, there is good stuff.

patiently,

kcd
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

There is a whole forum on this site dedicated to these subjects. iPhone, ?TV, iTunes, iPods. Your supposed to post your iPhone questions in there if they have not been answered already.

Yeah, but this is about future hardware so it can be posted in either place.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    "You will need to front atleast 500 clams to purchase an iphone, apple will not subsidize the phone cost. However, there has been much speculation that ATT will subsidize the data plan costs at a much reduced costs, maybe even for free. A normal plan is somewhat around $20 min for voice and $50 a month for data for $70 a month total. There has also been speculation that Att will offer a voice free data plan, which would be a first for the company i believe, saving customers $20 a month. There is even more speculation that ATT will offer six months of free data service, to entice customers with some sort of subsidation."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you saying here?? im confused. How much do you think a text, data plan add on would be. Whats a data voice plan?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    kcdstudios,

P.S. stands for "Post Script," which I suppose means PSSS stands for "Post Script Script Script." Next time add another P instead of another S.

Loved the post though
  • Reply 9 of 25
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    I highly doubt there will be any subsidy from AT&T. They make their money on the service, not the phones and if they were to suddenly find themselves with hundreds of thousands of users taking up time slots on their cells for free they would not be a happy camper. Expect AT&T's current pricing of 39.99 with a voice plan and 44.99 without a voice plan.

The thing that hasn't been covered that I'm interested in knowing. When the iphone price was announced, I saw a slide that said 499/599 with carrier subsidy. Remember it's never the phone manufacturers offering the 150/200 off phone subisdy, it's the carriers. My question, is the iPhone 499/599 with the carrier subsidy already or is AT&T not subsidizing the phone at all. If AT&T is offering a subsidy on the phone so it can hit that price point then those people looking to buy just an iPhone without renewing their service contract will be looking at the 699/799 range, which isn't bad considering most WM phones run 600 w/o subsidy (how I've bought my last 3 WM phones through Sprint).
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

I highly doubt there will be any subsidy from AT&T. They make their money on the service, not the phones and if they were to suddenly find themselves with hundreds of thousands of users taking up time slots on their cells for free they would not be a happy camper. Expect AT&T's current pricing of 39.99 with a voice plan and 44.99 without a voice plan.

39.99 + 40 data plan for 2 years will push a lot of people off of the iphone.

some carriers force data planes on some phones will the iphone be set up this way?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

39.99 + 40 data plan for 2 years will push a lot of people off of the iphone.

some carriers force data planes on some phones will the iphone be set up this way?

From what I'm aware, no carrier forces you to buy a data plan with a smart phone/device. They're more than happy to allow you to use the plan without a data plan at 2 cents per kilobyte. AT&T also has tiered plans offering a set amount of data per month. 5MB for $20, 10MB for $25 and 20MB for $35.

Data prices are the reason I have stayed with Sprint. I jumped on to their Vision plan early with a old Toshiba 2032SP (before WM Phone Edition even existed, ha!) and paid $10 a month for unlimited data and text messaging up until last year. When I replaced my PPC-6600 with a Treo 700wx they had to pull off all of my old data access, but I was still able to get unlimited data for $10 and unlimited text messaging for $8, so not a bad deal considering.

The cheapest dataplans are currently offered through Alltel, who gives you unlimited data for $30/mo. Even if you signed up as a new customer with Sprint you could pay $30/mo for unlimited data and and text messaging where as everyone else charges an additional $20 for unlimited text on top of the data access. The catch is that Sprint will not sell you just a data plan that cheap, you have to have a voice plan. Alltel. Verizon and AT&T will sell you just the data access and charge you per minute if you happen to use the phone for voice dialing.

So, under AT&T's current plan structuring, you would pay $40 for 450 minutes, $40 for unlimited data access and $20 for unlimited text messaging, putting the plan range into the century mark for all of the capability.

I do not forsee this changing for the iPhone or that there will be 'special' iPhone plans. At best, expect Cingular to offer data access and text messaging either free or heavily discounted for maybe the first 1-3 months of your service just to get those crazy people who are going to run out and buy a iPhone when they come out used to the services it provides before handing them the full price of what they are doing.

I've looked at swiching to other carriers, especially AT&T as GSM gets all of the cool WM phones first and I could import them from Europe or something, but I pay just a tad under $50 a month for 500 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text and insurance. Doubling my bill just so I can spend more money on phones just isn't worth it.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

From what I'm aware, no carrier forces you to buy a data plan with a smart phone/device. They're more than happy to allow you to use the plan without a data plan at 2 cents per kilobyte. AT&T also has tiered plans offering a set amount of data per month. 5MB for $20, 10MB for $25 and 20MB for $35.

I know someone who ass a blackberry on nextel and he tryed to get rid of the $40 data plan just to have it auto put back on.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

I know some who ass a blackberry on nextel and he tryed to get rid of the $40 data plan just to have it auto put back on.

He should call back and have Sprint fix it. I used to sell Nextel and it's absolutely possible to have a blackberry without the data services on nextel. If, however, his phone is still set up to send/recieve push email it will throw it back on there.

But if he's not attached to a server and not browsing the web or using any data services it's not required.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    bump. more
  • Reply 15 of 25
    $30 sounds about good. What do you think i should do to ensure i get an iPhone the 1st day? IF i call cingular stores around 94941 (my zip) Then will they know if they are getting them?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    But the £30 is just for data only right? How much is the regualr plan for calls and texts?

I heard its going to work out to like $70 a month for you guys?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nbvewt View Post

I will purchase an 8GB iPhone. If it supports 3G, it will be the

* Flash videos supported: At present, iPhone seems only supports mp4, h.264, mp3, aac. If it supports Flash files, iPhone will be more popular. Flash is working its way into all of todays popular sites (YouTube, MySpace, Google Talk (web), Yahoo! Messenger (web), etc)

What about regualr encoded videos such as 3GP? When you say MP4 do you mean H263 encoded? Its a new phone and id be very dissapointed if it didnt support the normal formats that other new phones do. The basics are 3GP, MP4 H263, H264, MP3, AAC, and of course the iphone will support the m4a format.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    ooza227ooza227 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

What about regualr encoded videos such as 3GP? When you say MP4 do you mean H263 encoded? Its a new phone and id be very dissapointed if it didnt support the normal formats that other new phones do. The basics are 3GP, MP4 H263, H264, MP3, AAC, and of course the iphone will support the m4a format.

couldn't agree more....
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ooza227 View Post

couldn't agree more....

Even though it will be nice to be able to buy tv shows from itunes current phone users will surley want to use their existing library of encoded content. I for one have lots of series of shows i have encoded myself over the years and i hope I dont have to go through the process of re encoding them.

i hope Apple dont isolate other formats. Im sure they wont but im sure all will be revealed soon.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I have another question.

I currently have Att/Cingular, Will I have to change up my plan at all, like add 2 more years in order to get the iPhone or will I be able to simply go and buy the iPhone on my current plan?