Quanta lands orders for future iPhone - report

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 35
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post


    Not quite sure what you try to say with this one, but I'm European, Swedish in fact. I assume they want to make sure it is CE-approved, but that won't take particulary long time.



    I think he was referring to the aging US networks.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    What are you talking about? A camera is one of the uses of 3G, it's not 3G. 3G in Europe is mainly used for fast internet access, or mobile TV.



    Name one 3G Cameraphone that does not also have a front facing camera for video calls. Apple, inventor of the iSight and all things iChat would certainly look a bit foolish not having one in it's 3G phone.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post


    Not quite sure what you try to say with this one, but I'm European, Swedish in fact. I assume they want to make sure it is CE-approved, but that won't take particulary long time.



    The original poster said the phone would have to be FCC approved. Obviously it doesn't if it's not intended for the USA. CE approval is another matter of course.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    It can't be the same AND 3G, unless they've found some way of hiding a front facing camera.



    Is it part of the 3G standard, or just a de-facto standard feature of 3G devices?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Is it part of the 3G standard, or just a de-facto standard feature of 3G devices?



    It's not part of the standard but almost every phone sold that is a 3G phone, in Europe anyway, is marketed on it's ability to have a video phone conversation. Obviously you can't do that without a front facing camera above the screen. I don't know of a single non-business phone (ie. one that has a back camera) that doesn't have a front camera for video calling. They've all had them from the very first 3G bricks.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    It's not part of the standard but almost every phone sold that is a 3G phone, in Europe anyway, is marketed on it's ability to have a video phone conversation. Obviously you can't do that without a front facing camera above the screen. I don't know of a single non-business phone (ie. one that has a back camera) that doesn't have a front camera for video calling. They've all had them from the very first 3G bricks.



    How much is that feature used? It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to watch video footage captured from any camera small enough to be put into a phone. That said, YouTube is pretty popular, and that's about as good as I would expect from a compact video phone w/ a 1 mm lens.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    Name one 3G Cameraphone that does not also have a front facing camera for video calls. Apple, inventor of the iSight and all things iChat would certainly look a bit foolish not having one in it's 3G phone.



    Yeah, cause they certainly looked foolish with no fm tuner or built-in mic in their iPod's.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    How much is that feature used? It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to watch video footage captured from any camera small enough to be put into a phone. That said, YouTube is pretty popular, and that's about as good as I would expect from a compact video phone w/ a 1 mm lens.



    You misunderstand. In most 3G phones sold here there are TWO cameras. A megapixel camera on the back. Typically 2-3mp but 3-5 is more typical on 3G phones released this year from European phone companies.



    The second camera is front facing - ie. back straight at you like a built in iSight camera in an Apple laptop. Typically they are no more than VGA at best since they don't really have to be high quality.



    Very few people make video calls because a) they don't want to appear on video and b) the call charges are higher than voice.



    However, that's not the only reason they are there. Phone carriers in Europe spent a fortune buying 3G airspace and another fortune on new masts. To recoup that cost they want users making more expensive video calls and MMS. That's partly why they are there.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Yeah, cause they certainly looked foolish with no fm tuner or built-in mic in their iPod's.



    You just look like an arse equating the phone market of 2007 with the mp3 player market of 2001.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

    "a different outer design to fit different markets"



    IPhone nano for sure. Or maybe the iPhone Pro.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    You misunderstand. In most 3G phones sold here there are TWO cameras. A megapixel camera on the back. Typically 2-3mp but 3-5 is more typical on 3G phones released this year from European phone companies.



    The second camera is front facing - ie. back straight at you like a built in iSight camera in an Apple laptop. Typically they are no more than VGA at best since they don't really have to be high quality.



    Very few people make video calls because a) they don't want to appear on video and b) the call charges are higher than voice.



    However, that's not the only reason they are there. Phone carriers in Europe spent a fortune buying 3G airspace and another fortune on new masts. To recoup that cost they want users making more expensive video calls and MMS. That's partly why they are there.



    Maybe I don't misunderstand, if it's a feature that no one uses, then it's a feature that doesn't need to be there. It's hard to look reasonable in asking for a feature that no one uses, that is only there in the hopes that someone is willing to be on a video phone and spend a lot of money doing so. That does call into question why Apple includes a camera on all their notebooks though. I've never seen anyone use it for anything other than a few minutes of inane PhotoBooth amusement.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    How much is that feature used? It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to watch video footage captured from any camera small enough to be put into a phone. That said, YouTube is pretty popular, and that's about as good as I would expect from a compact video phone w/ a 1 mm lens.



    Hardly ever. I've used mine once to see if it worked. It did... but I never felt the need to use it again!
  • Reply 31 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,898member
    OK wishful thinking I know, but I'd really love to see an iPhone that has a clip on battery arrangement. The idea being that a commercial user would rather swap a battery and leave the old one in a charger and keep going with the iPhone. It is common in two way radios used commercially and would really open up the markets that this phone could slip into.



    So what I'm suggesting is an iP{hone HARD HAT model.



    Interestingly two way radios that can't do half of what the iPhone is going cost go for about the same amount. So for some markets the iPhone isn't priced that bad. Of course you need a service contract with the phone company and that is an issue.



    Dave
  • Reply 32 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,499member
    It's the Cisco/Apple branded iPhone... CONFIRMED!
  • Reply 33 of 35
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    The original poster said the phone would have to be FCC approved. Obviously it doesn't if it's not intended for the USA. CE approval is another matter of course.



    Well, duh, I am the original poster. It just read like you assumed I was American. "You lot..."
  • Reply 34 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    The original poster said the phone would have to be FCC approved. Obviously it doesn't if it's not intended for the USA. CE approval is another matter of course.



    Even if a revision might not be sold in the US, wouldn't it also get FCC & Asian certifications so that travelers can use it overseas?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Even if a revision might not be sold in the US, wouldn't it also get FCC & Asian certifications so that travelers can use it overseas?



    It doesn't have to be FCC approved for use, it just has to be FCC approved so you can sell the things.
Sign In or Register to comment.