D Preview: Apple, Microsoft, and Palm

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    On the bright side, all those incessant whiners who insist that Apple should remake the 12" MacBook Pro can now go join TreoCentral.com.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I was sure I read / heard 2 days in an Engadget news piece but now they are saying 5 hours too. There goes another reason to have a Foleo. They've really got this thing wrong.

Now, I'm totally confused. When I wrote that last post, I could only find the 2 days bit.

But, saying that you can use it for a weekend doesn't mean that it will run for an entire weekend.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    This gives a view that I can agree with.

So, it can do limited web browsing and send/receive e-mails.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32261/128/
  • Reply 44 of 48
    bulls96bulls96 Posts: 10member
    Call me a fanboy, but Foleo is a visionary product much the same way Palm Pilots were back in the day. No one understood it, everyone thought it was stupid, but years later, you see people having one using one and loving it.

Foleo has the same things that Palm Pilots had going in the beginning... simplicity of design, simplicity of use, and third party support... Foleo's main strength is its being linux... dont be surprised to see that 10 years from now, you'll see as much apps for Foleo as you see for Palms today.

Foleo is more of a potentially important product... Hawkins vision is a smartphone centric world, where you do everything with the smartphone... but limited by its small keyboard and/or screen... thus he makes this extender for the smartphone (yes he sees it supporting th iPhone as well) which can also serve as a standalone Linux laptop just enough for your everyday mobile computing needs...

To quote Hawkins: "The further out you are, the more people have trouble understanding. It's hard to go back in time, but when we did the Pilot, there were a lot of people that thought that was a stupid idea. I mean a lot."
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

Call me a fanboy, but Foleo is a visionary product much the same way Palm Pilots were back in the day. No one understood it, everyone thought it was stupid, but years later, you see people having one using one and loving it.

Foleo has the same things that Palm Pilots had going in the beginning... simplicity of design, simplicity of use, and third party support... Foleo's main strength is its being linux... dont be surprised to see that 10 years from now, you'll see as much apps for Foleo as you see for Palms today.

Foleo is more of a potentially important product... Hawkins vision is a smartphone centric world, where you do everything with the smartphone... but limited by its small keyboard and/or screen... thus he makes this extender for the smartphone (yes he sees it supporting th iPhone as well) which can also serve as a standalone Linux laptop just enough for your everyday mobile computing needs...

To quote Hawkins: "The further out you are, the more people have trouble understanding. It's hard to go back in time, but when we did the Pilot, there were a lot of people that thought that was a stupid idea. I mean a lot."

Fanboi!
  • Reply 46 of 48
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

But nobody uses Palm Pilots anymore, they use smartphones, and this isn't a visionary product, it's a poor copy of the Psion NetBook.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    With the forthcoming iPhone, the Foleo gives a bigger display without the ability to make phonecalls or stream video. If people are complaining about the price of the iPhone, what are they going to say about the Foleo? Seems to me that the Foleo's target group would be better off buying the iPhone and spending $5.00 at the local Walgreens for a pair of magnifying eyeglasses and $30.00 on a bluetooth keyboard.

Hawkins was a visionary 20 years ago when he took a block of wood and copied the concept of the Newton to create a PDA market. Unfortunately, the PDA market is completely dead and now he is grasping at straws to figure out how to cash out his shares http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070530/palm_...ions.html?.v=1

Even Palm fanatics have christened this product the Fool-eo.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Everyone says they want a cheaper machine to check the web and email until they go to the store with cash in hand, and then they trade up.

I still say that Jobs will offer a more entry level version of the MacBook, and put this thing out of its misery.