Do you think Apple are clearing the stage before WWDC?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Given the closeness of WWDC, I cant help but think that Apple are doing a tidy up exercise to clear up items in order to keep the stage free for WWDC.

By that I mean the MacBook revision and the iPhone release date. The MacBook could have waited and been a part of WWDC announcements and I'm more surprised that they have chosen to announce the release date out of the blue.

Given that Apple seem to think the new iPhone as a big play in their strategies ( both in terms of the actual unit and possibly further units based on smaller OSX platform ) then it seems wierd to not have announced it in the keynote - it is a big release date . . . so why not have it in the big talk?

I know it reads obivous, it implies to me that Apple are looking to clear the stage of the small what about this? type questions.
  • Yes, Leopard is going to be shown in all its glory, but will ALL be about leopard? I doubt it.

• Will we see new displays? I expect so . . . but that seems an awfully small hardware item to push out something important like iPhone release date.

• Will we see a new MacPro? I dont think so .... whats out there to make a big thing of changing it? to that new thing

• Will we see new graphcis cards in the MacPro ... possibly . . .but is that really a big enough thing to push out iPhone? ( remember its only a different card in the same machine )

So it suggests to me, that something else pretty big in the hardware wide of things has to coming along .... that is assuming that it wont all be about leopard.

Or is my reasoning completely flawed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    kurtzkurtz Posts: 9member
    Tie together the expected introduction of new hardware other than MacBook and MacPro (leaving iMac, MacBook Pro and mini?) with the inevitable revelation of Leopard's "Secret features" and what do you get....?

Well, a MS-Surface thrashing MultiTouch UI (in new desktop(s) and MacBook Pro / ultraportable) would fit the bill.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    OK, maybe I'm just weird but I don't understand when people say "Apple are." Does that make sense? Apple is one thing, not many. Apples are doing something. Apple is doing something. Apple is clearing the stage. Apple is doing a tidy up exercise. Given that Apple seems to think.

Tell me I'm wrong and explain it please.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post

OK, maybe I'm just weird but I don't understand when people say "Apple are." Does that make sense? Apple is one thing, not many. Apples are doing something. Apple is doing something. Apple is clearing the stage. Apple is doing a tidy up exercise. Given that Apple seems to think.

Just one idea from someone who is not native english speaker: maybe the US vs. UK version?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Quote:

I'll tell you that your being pedantic.

I can see your point, but I could argue that I used the word 'Apple' as a respresentation of the body of employees working under the group name of Apple. Thus creating the plural aspect and necessitating the need for 'are' instead of 'is'.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

So it suggests to me, that something else pretty big in the hardware wide of things has to coming along .... that is assuming that it wont all be about leopard.

Of course it won't be all about Leopard. We will get the usual reviews on Apple's performance on several sectors, and also some words on iPhone.

On the hardware front, some whispers want new redesigned iMacs going together with Leopard. While this is a possibility, I somehow doubt it will happen at WWDC. I think Apple Expo fits more the purpose and it is close to the official release month of Leopard.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

I can see your point, but I could argue that I used the word 'Apple' as a respresentation of the body of employees working under the group name of Apple. Thus creating the plural aspect and necessitating the need for 'are' instead of 'is'.

The proper pronunciation would be, "Apple is..." If you wish to speak about the body of employees working at Apple, Inc., you would say, "the employees of Apple," or "Apple employees."

The phrase, "Apple are..." reduces the credibility of the source to me. That's my honest opinion.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000193.htm

Quote:

The only significant difference I can think of is that the British sometimes treat collective nouns as plural where the Americans treat them as singular.

UK: "The government are announcing an important decision." (Speaking of specific people in the government).

"The government is a constitutional monarchy." (Speaking of the government as an institution)

US: "The government is announcing an important decision."

"The government is a republic."

Being the fact that America is basically a country formed by British colonials that over time developed its own colloquilisms I'd say that if anything the British way is correct and that America has skewed the standard over time.

The US isn't even 300 years old. You could point out a million buildings in Europe that are 5x older than the US itself. We're just babies compared to the rest of the world when age and cultural history is considered.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

No, you are not wrong. Apple (the company) is singular just like 'world' is singular even though it contains 6 billion people. However, some collective nouns can be singular or plural. For example: the word 'audience'.

You can say, "The audience claps." - singular. But you can also say, "The audience take their seats." - plural. How about 'fish' or 'sheep' - singular or plural. English is made up of about 15 different languages with all their spellings, sentence structures, syntax, etc. It's no wonder we get confused. Incidently, there is a book about the English language called, "English and How She is Spoke."

Sorry for interjecting these words of wisdom (?), but I can't help myself. I have taught college English for 18 years and have written legal briefs for a lot longer. I STILL make mistakes.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Okay can we get back to the subject?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Sorry for interjecting these words of wisdom (?), but I can't help myself. I have taught college English for 18 years and have written legal briefs for a lot longer. I STILL make mistakes.

Evidently you do. Might wanna do some reading on the subject of collective plurals.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Apple is a single entity. Apple has people, yes, but Apple is a single entity, hence saying "Apple are" is grammatically incorrect.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    I think I enjoyed this pointless back-and-forth a lot more the first hundred times I heard it.

Here's the thing: in the UK it is common and acceptable to use 'are' and other plural descriptors with collective nouns (like 'team' for instance). In the US, it is not generally done. That's it. Nothing more.

Does anyone really find the OP's point incomprehensible because of this vast gulf in transatlantic grammar? No? Then can we get back to the frickin' topic already?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    I think the stage is being cleared for Leopard, iPhone, new and new iMacs.

The common theme among them will be some kind of limited touch screen capability.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'm not counting on the iMacs anymore, though I don't think they'll be too long after WWDC (2-3 weeks). An hour and a half may be used to sum up the iPhone, general updates, and Leopard.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    I had the same thought that Apple was just clearing the slate of things they could talk about by doing away with some smaller things like Macbook updates and the iphone release date and possibly MBP.

Speaking of the new macbook update and the new thread about the release of new MPB with the back to school promotion I was wondering if we may see another upgrade to these notebooks hardware now and again before the end of the year. I personally was holding off buying a mbp for leopard but after the delay to october I figured id buy one come the next round of upgrades. But now im kinda looking at it and thinking freak these are nice upgrades but nothing really cool is being done. Ranting aside here is my real question.

Will we see another "upgrade" or overhaul to the MBP again this year, 2007, if they are upgraded within the next week as is predicted? (assuming they dont get santa rosa, led backlights, flash memory ect...)
  • Reply 16 of 22
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I'm not counting on the iMacs anymore, though I don't think they'll be too long after WWDC (2-3 weeks). An hour and a half may be used to sum up the iPhone, general updates, and Leopard.

it would be great if new imacs were announced and demo-ed at wwdc, then released a few weeks later - this would tie up nicely with pay day!

it would be madness if they (it?!) delayed new imacs until leopard.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-thinker View Post

The proper pronunciation would be, "Apple is..."

That should be "The proper syntax . . ."
  • Reply 18 of 22
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    So Ali G was right all along "You is going to fail the exam"
  • Reply 19 of 22
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Jings. I just hope Leopard comes with a grammar checker built in too now!

Quote:

Does anyone really find the OP's point incomprehensible because of this vast gulf in transatlantic grammar? No? Then can we get back to the frickin' topic already?

touché
  • Reply 20 of 22
    i rec new imacs announced at WWDC with availability coming 1-2 weeks later

hopefully a small revision of mac pro as in new gpu and 2gb of ram as standard, as it is world wide 'developers' conference, not totally out of the question