Advice: Buy MacBook (Pro) now/later?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just curious to see what other people think. I'm in the market for a MacBook or MacBook Pro (still haven't decided whether or not to dish out the extra $$ for the Pro) for undergrad school this fall. Should I go ahead and buy now? Or should I wait until the very last moment to buy to make sure I have the latest and greatest?



Like all normal human beings, I want it now, but do you think Apple will release anymore upgrades before I leave for school in August? Seeing as how they just added some minor upgrades not too ago, it seems, logically, that nothing will happen before school starts. I'm somewhat new to the Apple scene, so I don't know how often upgrades are made. I just really don't want to buy and have another model released the next day. Also, when's the new OS being released? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    the MBP, if you take a look around the rumor sites, is widely believed to be receiving an update tomorrow or next week, so if you are interested in a MBP, you definitely want to hold off.



    Leopard is supposed to be released in October. I wouldn't put off a computer purchase just for that. As a student, you'll be able to get for $69 anyways.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Oh, know! Haha, I was just about settled on buying a plain macbook (for the $$ a much better deal). This, if it's true, makes my decision a bit more complicated. Just curious, what are these "rumor sites"?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post


    Oh, know! Haha, I was just about settled on buying a plain macbook (for the $$ a much better deal). This, if it's true, makes my decision a bit more complicated. Just curious, what are these "rumor sites"?



    You're looking at one right here. I'd recommend going to the AI front page and the future hardware forum.



    This thread specifically:

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=74957



    Over the past couple years, AI probably has the best track record of anyone.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post


    the MBP, if you take a look around the rumor sites, is widely believed to be receiving an update tomorrow or next week, so if you are interested in a MBP, you definitely want to hold off.



    Leopard is supposed to be released in October. I wouldn't put off a computer purchase just for that. As a student, you'll be able to get for $69 anyways.



    Looks like you're right. Those suspicions are looking to be correct. I just talked to a friend today about it. Her sister tried to buy a macbook pro, and the guy mysteriously wouldn't let her. He told her to come back in two days. So... June 6 is the big day? I can only hope it's worth the wait.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,195moderator
    Buy now, they've just been updated.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Woohoo!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Now would be an excellent time.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post


    Now would be an excellent time.



    Haha, thanks. Appreciate the advice
Sign In or Register to comment.