Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 221 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Honestly, unless you have old equipment or want the high res 17", I fail to see the excitement. The speeds are barely improved. The specs are similar to the current gen. I have a last rev Macbook (current until today) and I see nothing that excites me other than maybe the LED display. No reason to upgrade for me, not that I expected there to be.

Similar Specs??? New CPU, new GPU, more RAM, new screens, new motherboards (RAM capabilities at least), and better HDs. Yeah, thats not a very good update at all.
  • Reply 222 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Similar Specs??? New CPU, new GPU, more RAM, new screens, new motherboards (RAM capabilities at least), and better HDs. Yeah, thats not a very good update at all.

I agree, but the person you responded to was looking at it in view of already having a previous generation unit. The updates are very nice, but rarely does any single update improve the device enough to make it worth an upgrade from a previous revision. Most people can probably keep their existing unit until it breaks.
  • Reply 223 of 280
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Mine's been shipped from Shanghai. I should get it on Monday.

• Reply 224 of 280
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Totally incorrect. I had a white spot develop on a PBG4 after 2.5 years. I've gone through several AC Adapters. They even tighten up the screen hinges. Little things can go wrong after a few years that really can add up. I had the power port replaced on my Pismo right before I sold it as it was loose and malfunctioning. That PB I mentioned? they straight up replaced the whole screen. That would have been at least a $400 repair...probably $500.

Good points, I am not saying people shouldn't get AppleCare, I recommend it, especially to any laptop buyer. I however do not find it to be extremely useful.

I did use it the first year I had it to replace white spots. I hadn't heard anything about white spots developing later, was it just because the back screen was bend a little and being pushed into the screen?

My point was just that without something horrible happening (like a logic board frying, which I wouldn't expect after a year without a recall), I have been able to successfully replace my own HD, & cracked screen bezel for under what AppleCare would have costed me. I may get the extended AppleCare for my new MBP before the year is over, but I am not completely confident that it's necessary.

Does AppleCare cover that 'pitting' from sweat on the palm rests? That is the one thing I would have liked to been able to get fixed but didn't want to spend the money. I just have two stickers over it now so I am not actually touching the metal. I am concerned about this for my new MBP actually.
  • Reply 225 of 280
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

It's basically the same machine, either way you slice it. It's a little like the Pismo vs. Lombard debate from 2000. Yeah, it was faster, had Firewire, a speed bump, HD size, etc. But it wasn't the hyped overall some thought it would be. The same applies here. Ooohh! Santa Rosa! Santa Rosszztsaaa! I realy want to see them in real-world performance differences. Does it edit video much faster? Does it browse better/faster? Is the screen that much more bright and evenly lit? Are the graphics really that much better?

Also, see below....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, but the person you responded to was looking at it in view of already having a previous generation unit. The updates are very nice, but rarely does any single update improve the device enough to make it worth an upgrade from a previous revision. Most people can probably keep their existing unit until it breaks.

Exactly...thanks. It is a nice update. My issue with those acting like it's best thing since sliced bread. It's just an update for chrissakes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post

Good points, I am not saying people shouldn't get AppleCare, I recommend it, especially to any laptop buyer. I however do not find it to be extremely useful.

I did use it the first year I had it to replace white spots. I hadn't heard anything about white spots developing later, was it just because the back screen was bend a little and being pushed into the screen?

My point was just that without something horrible happening (like a logic board frying, which I wouldn't expect after a year without a recall), I have been able to successfully replace my own HD, & cracked screen bezel for under what AppleCare would have costed me. I may get the extended AppleCare for my new MBP before the year is over, but I am not completely confident that it's necessary.

Does AppleCare cover that 'pitting' from sweat on the palm rests? That is the one thing I would have liked to been able to get fixed but didn't want to spend the money. I just have two stickers over it now so I am not actually touching the metal. I am concerned about this for my new MBP actually.

Yeah, my white spot was different. I don't know why it developed. It was on the bottom of the screen, in the dock. It started as a "wide vertical line" and then expanded. I don't think it was from the standard white spot recall or whatever.

I agree it's not always worth it. As I said, I don't have it now. I don't travel to work with this one as much, which is one reason I didn't get it. I just use it at home for the most part.

And Apple does like to give you the middle digit with Applecare. They don't cover batteries for the most part. That really pissed me off when I wanted a new PBG4 battery after 18 months. It was down to an hour and they wouldn't replace it. 18 months...sorry guys, that's not reasonable to me. I've heard other stories that are far ore horrifying. I think lately they've been better though...but that is just a perceptin based on lack of said stories.
  • Reply 226 of 280
    To stay on topic, I'm using a TiBook 867 and to me the upgrade looks fantastic. However, the TiBook, which I use as a second computer downstairs and is plugged into ac about 98% of the time, still works fine for me. It's a lot slower than my MacPro but still is acceptable for web browsing, light Photoshop and InDesign use, and the run of the mill Word, Excell and FileMaker tasks. Maybe next year I'll replace it either with the current Macbook Pro on iMac.

Now on to AppleCare. Basically it's an individual decision based on how much you're willing to gamble on Apple's quality control. Here's my experience: I've used Macs since 1987 but the TiBook was the first one I bought AC for back in 2002. The machine has performed flawlessly and I never used the AC.

I bought a Power Mac G5 dual 2.5 in 2004. At about 6 months out and still under warranty the power supply failed. So at the 11 month point I bought AC for it. At about the 23 month point the computer went basically wacky and after 5 trips to the Alderwood Apple Store, where they replaced the processors, the mother board and about everything else they could think of-- all of which would have been very expensive if I had had to pay for it myself, they gave up and replaced it with a new MacPro at no cost to me.

In one case the AC was wasted money, in the other it was a life saver. BTW, I bought AC for the Mac Pro this week.
  • Reply 227 of 280
    More information on the technical information & Human rights info on nobosh

If you are looking for more technical information on LED screens and where Apple is with human rights be sure to check out the latest article on nobosh.

The article also discusses the suit against Apple in CA against the LED screens.

http://www.nobosh.com/Article/Apple-...D-Screens/634/
  • Reply 228 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

To stay on topic, I'm using a TiBook 867 and to me the upgrade looks fantastic. However, the TiBook, which I use as a second computer downstairs and is plugged into ac about 98% of the time, still works fine for me. It's a lot slower than my MacPro but still is acceptable for web browsing, light Photoshop and InDesign use, and the run of the mill Word, Excell and FileMaker tasks. Maybe next year I'll replace it either with the current Macbook Pro on iMac.

Now on to AppleCare. Basically it's an individual decision based on how much you're willing to gamble on Apple's quality control. Here's my experience: I've used Macs since 1987 but the TiBook was the first one I bought AC for back in 2002. The machine has performed flawlessly and I never used the AC.

I bought a Power Mac G5 dual 2.5 in 2004. At about 6 months out and still under warranty the power supply failed. So at the 11 month point I bought AC for it. At about the 23 month point the computer went basically wacky and after 5 trips to the Alderwood Apple Store, where they replaced the processors, the mother board and about everything else they could think of-- all of which would have been very expensive if I had had to pay for it myself, they gave up and replaced it with a new MacPro at no cost to me.

In one case the AC was wasted money, in the other it was a life saver. BTW, I bought AC for the Mac Pro this week.

Totally agree...if you have a Tibook, the difference in performance will be staggering. You can expect at least a 5 fold increase in nearly everything. Wait til you see how it renders iMovie effects, for example. And then the interface too. I'm thinking back to the PBG4 1.25 I had until December 2005. Even my current gen puts that machine to utter shame, especially with video. Try playing a 1080p stream on a tibook or Alubook or even iMac G5.

I agree ApplCare is hit or miss.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nate.willard View Post

More information on the technical information & Human rights info on nobosh

If you are looking for more technical information on LED screens and where Apple is with human rights be sure to check out the latest article on nobosh.

The article also discusses the suit against Apple in CA against the LED screens.

http://www.nobosh.com/Article/Apple-...D-Screens/634/

Yeah, we're not. Thaaannks.
  • Reply 229 of 280
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Totally agree...if you have a Tibook, the difference in performance will be staggering. You can expect at least a 5 fold increase in nearly everything.

How fast a TiBook? The reason I ask is that I'll be moving from a single processor G4 sawtooth 450MHz with a radeon 8500 video card to a new MacBook Pro (maybe this week...)
  • Reply 230 of 280
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

How fast a TiBook? The reason I ask is that I'll be moving from a single processor G4 sawtooth 450MHz with a radeon 8500 video card to a new MacBook Pro (maybe this week...)

I think you'll be pleased Please let us know what you think once you've got it.
  • Reply 231 of 280
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    2 questions.

1. Are apple stores stocking the MBP with the 7200 rpm hd option? (Its Sunday so I cant call)

2. Any word on if the ship date will be reduced on the 7200 hd?
  • Reply 232 of 280
    wirwzdwirwzd Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

2 questions.1. Are apple stores stocking the MBP with the 7200 rpm hd option? (Its Sunday so I cant call)

No

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

2. Any word on if the ship date will be reduced on the 7200 hd?

I hope so! I am waiting for a 15' w/7200RPM hd, but I haven't read anything which leads me to believe so.
  • Reply 233 of 280
    I visited the Apple Store in Simi Valley Ca Sunday to see a new model in person. Would you believe that they had about a dozed MBPs out but they were all pre-Santa Rosa models ! Maybe they are trying to sell them off to the unsuspecting buyers.
  • Reply 234 of 280
    I ordered mine last Tuesday when they were released, and it's on its way from China, expected Wednesday. I don't think there is a large number of them in the country quite yet.
  • Reply 235 of 280
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auslander View Post

I ordered mine last Tuesday when they were released, and it's on its way from China, expected Wednesday. I don't think there is a large number of them in the country quite yet.

I just saw the notice that mine has been delivered to my university office! I'll be out there first thing in the morning. I got the 17" High Res and they claim they loaded it with the 7200rpm HD that was supposed to take 4-6 weeks. Maybe because I ordered an hour or so after the online store opened, I got the one on the line in China??
  • Reply 236 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

I just saw the notice that mine has been delivered to my university office! I'll be out there first thing in the morning. I got the 17" High Res and they claim they loaded it with the 7200rpm HD that was supposed to take 4-6 weeks. Maybe because I ordered an hour or so after the online store opened, I got the one on the line in China??

Interesting -- I ordered the 15" 160GB with 7200rpm and glossy screen via my university office and I was told it would ship in 7-10 business days per the campus computer store. From the overwhelming evidence of a 4-6 wk delay, I just figured that the store didn't have the latest info. Maybe they do...
  • Reply 237 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

That's going to be very nice indeed!
  • Reply 238 of 280
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    So I called the apple store up today, the real big one not just the local one (1 800MY APPLE) and the dude told me that they expected the 4-6 week shipping to be that way for the next 2 months or so because of the demand ect... Im not quite sure but I was planning on buying a MBP cash in another month when Ill have all the money but the guy suggested to me that I should charge it now so that I get it in 4-6 weeks instead of buying it in another month and then waiting another 4-6 weeks. A friend of mine did me the favor and called up again and got a different guy and he suggested the same thing. So it looks like you better buy now, if your looking at the 7200 rpm option, now if i could only find the damn credit card...
  • Reply 239 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Any TiBook, I would think. That fastest was what...1GHZ? 1 GHZ G4 vs. a 2.0-2.4 ghz C2D, better graphics memory, bus speeds, etc? It won't even be close. If you're going from a G4 Sawtooth, I wouldn't be surprised to see some operations 10X as fast. Just a guess. My experience comes from my PB 1.25 and even an iMac 20" G5 2.1ghz (latest PPC).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think you'll be pleased Please let us know what you think once you've got it.

He'll be very pleased.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

I'm torn between the Macbook and Macbook Pro. The only real benefit I see of the Pro is it has a dedicated video card. Is this really worth $1100 more than the MacBook?!

And how important is a dedicated video card now-a-days?

I had one of the first gen white iBooks (600Mhz). I liked it, but it was SLOW from the start. Pauses during dock animations, etc etc. Spinning beach balls forever. And it wasn't very good at graphic-intense games. Granted, this was running 10.2 and 600Mhz.

How are the MacBooks today? Any complaints regarding speed/graphics?

If money is not an issue, the Pro is far better machine. Faster, more memory standard, bigger drives, and dedicated graphics.

Personally, I think you'll notice a big difference between integrated and dedicated graphics. The integrated graphics on the MB are only 64MB to boot. I have 4 times that in my MBP. And it's not just games, the graphics processor deal with the interface too.

You're also getting a better screen size and resolution, which I find to be an issue.

I have a MBP C2D, and I love it. The backlighting is a little uneven, but it's not LED. I will likely upgrade once they start offering Blu-ray burners/LED/bigger drives.
  • Reply 240 of 280
    Mine just got delivered today. I'll pick it up in a hour or so. Woohoo!