Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mathijs de Bruin View Post

And i am very happy with my macbook pro!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auslander View Post

I love my MBP too.

Mine hasn't shipped yet.
  • Reply 262 of 280
    Ok, I appologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot on here, but I am really really having a hard time deciding... 17 or 15 inch... I will be using my MBP for school (architecture) so I will need it for running AutoCad and Photoshop, etc. I am wondering if the resolution upgrade will be worth it... I like to have a high res screen... but... I also have a Dell 20.1 external monitor that I can attach to.... should I just get the 15 (and the nice LED) and not worry about the lower res... right now I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 17inch and it has the same res as the 15 inch MBP.... and I am pretty satisfied... but I am wondering about the future, and if I will want more resolution... the only other thing that's diff. about the 17 inch is the extra USB right...? (which I admit would help... then I can have mouse, external HD and Ipod all plugged in without having to detach and reattach things all the time... I am really torn... I have the extra $420 for the 17 with the res upgrade... but will it be worth it...??? I just want some opinions... thanks so much!
  • Reply 263 of 280
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stankewich View Post

Ok, I appologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot on here, but I am really really having a hard time deciding... 17 or 15 inch... I will be using my MBP for school (architecture) so I will need it for running AutoCad and Photoshop, etc. I am wondering if the resolution upgrade will be worth it... I like to have a high res screen... but... I also have a Dell 20.1 external monitor that I can attach to.... should I just get the 15 (and the nice LED) and not worry about the lower res... right now I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 17inch and it has the same res as the 15 inch MBP.... and I am pretty satisfied... but I am wondering about the future, and if I will want more resolution... the only other thing that's diff. about the 17 inch is the extra USB right...? (which I admit would help... then I can have mouse, external HD and Ipod all plugged in without having to detach and reattach things all the time... I am really torn... I have the extra $420 for the 17 with the res upgrade... but will it be worth it...??? I just want some opinions... thanks so much!

If you've an external monitor already, I'd go for the extra portability of the 15". The USB issue can be solved by using a USB hub. Plug everything in to that and then it's just one cable to the hub to plug/unplug. Spend the savings on a bigger internal hard disk or more RAM.
  • Reply 264 of 280
    Quote:

I've said this a few times now... maybe people don't want to listen and are waiting for someone to say the 17" is amazing and just as good as the 15" LED? Sorry, it's not even close. I've previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" PB and I do a lot of "screen stuff" like graphic design and Logic work. The 15" is the way to go. The LED backlights will not fade over time as the CCFL's do rather quickly and the LED's are brighter and much more even. I can't see anyone buying what is now old technology. In 12 months when your 17" "high-res" screen is dull and faded, don't kick yourself when the 17" MBP's come out with LED's and these 15" models still look as bright and vibrant as the day they were purchased.
  • Reply 265 of 280
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

I've said this a few times now... maybe people don't want to listen and are waiting for someone to say the 17" is amazing and just as good as the 15" LED? Sorry, it's not even close. I've previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" PB and I do a lot of "screen stuff" like graphic design and Logic work. The 15" is the way to go. The LED backlights will not fade over time as the CCFL's do rather quickly and the LED's are brighter and much more even. I can't see anyone buying what is now old technology. In 12 months when your 17" "high-res" screen is dull and faded, don't kick yourself when the 17" MBP's come out with LED's and these 15" models still look as bright and vibrant as the day they were purchased.

I'll wait until the 17" MBP is led screened and 1900 X 1200. The increased resolution is very important to HD video editing and I want this screen resolution but I'll wait until all the bugs are worked out on this model ~ should come out in the fall.\
  • Reply 266 of 280
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I did my unscientific graphics test today on the 2.2 and 2.4 MBP's. What I usually do is open 4 QT movies (around 100MB or so in size for each movie) and then loop run them. I noticed that both the 2.4 and the previous high end MBP played them over and over again without any noticable stuttering. The playback was smooth as far as I could see.

The 2.2 didn't play them well at all and in fact, in my opinion, the lower end MBP (of the previous versions), played them better (although they did stutter but it wasn't as bad as the 2.2).

I'm going to have one of these in a few weeks and wanted the 2.2 but now I'm not sure if I should get the 2.4. I don't want to drop the extra 500 bills (but it does have more power... )
  • Reply 267 of 280
    I am a new to Mac and can't decide if I should buy a new MBP now or wait until leopard is released. The money is burning a whole in my pocket and my wife is getting tired of me sitting on the fence. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 268 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hands224e View Post

I am a new to Mac and can't decide if I should buy a new MBP now or wait until leopard is released. The money is burning a whole in my pocket and my wife is getting tired of me sitting on the fence. Any suggestions?

Why wait? Just buy Leopard when it comes out and install it on your MBP. These MBP's are state-of-the-art and were originally going to be released with Leopard last month. Apple's new OS's don't cost an arm and a leg either. There's no reason to wait that I can see...
  • Reply 269 of 280
    I am a gamer and am going to install windows xp on my mbp (which I haven't bought yet, and will be my first ever mac anything - i don't even own an ipod) but was wondering if 1440x900 resolution is enough or should I go with the higher res 17" mbp? I would really like to know if the 15" mbp is good enough for gaming. Does the LED make that much of a difference compared to a higher resolution? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

crispux3
  • Reply 270 of 280
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crispux3 View Post

I am a gamer and am going to install windows xp on my mbp (which I haven't bought yet, and will be my first ever mac anything - i don't even own an ipod) but was wondering if 1440x900 resolution is enough or should I go with the higher res 17" mbp? I would really like to know if the 15" mbp is good enough for gaming. Does the LED make that much of a difference compared to a higher resolution? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

crispux3

Honestly it depends on what resolution you run your games at. If you play games at higher than a 1440x900 then get the 17'.

When I play single player I crank things up;resolution, anti-aliasing, vertex lighting ect. When I play online I tone things down some to get better FPS and to have one less thing for my internet connection to worry about. I personally dont play online games at higher than a 1280x1024. Also with the MBP id play more of my games in widescreen if the game offered that option. I find widescreen to be a better experience in single player and in multiplayer. Personally the 15' is fine enough resolution but another things to consider, Is it big enough for you?

I game on either a 17' display or 19', cant afford anything bigger or new for the time being, and cant see myself doing anything except maybe some single player or quick network gaming with friends on a 15' notebook display.
  • Reply 271 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I do big-screen stuff like graphics work and Logic sessions and I still got the 15" for the LED. I previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" Powerbook, but the noticeably brighter screen that doesn't lose 1/2 it's brightness after a year overcame any doubts I had about going a bit smaller. The LCD screens seem archaic to me now. If you absolutley have to have a 17" then I'd say you should wait 4-6 months for the 17" LED, otherwise, you'll be kicking yourself.

I think your argument would be workable without the obvious hyperbole, half brightness in a year? I have a five year old notebook that doesn't seem like it's at half brightness.

Also, are people that freaking blind? In most cases, I can see everything just fine on the lowest brightness setting. The one thing that would convince me is if the dimming was better. I think the previous models dimmed to maybe 50% and for looking up IMDB while watching a movie, I only need maybe 10%.
  • Reply 272 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think your argument would be workable without the obvious hyperbole, half brightness in a year? I have a five year old notebook that doesn't seem like it's at half brightness.

Also, are people that freaking blind? In most cases, I can see everything just fine on the lowest brightness setting. The one thing that would convince me is if the dimming was better. I think the previous models dimmed to maybe 50% and for looking up IMDB while watching a movie, I only need maybe 10%.

There's no hyperbole... If you use your notebook everyday at work for 8-12 hours like I do your CCFL notebook screen will lose 25%-50% of it's brightness. I know because my Dell laptop did it and my 17" Powerbook did it. For many applications it is important to have the screen as bright and crisp as possible. It does matter.
  • Reply 273 of 280
    I stopped by the Apple Store in Green Hills, Nashville, today. When I was using the new 2.4 MBP, I noticed that the trackpad seemed rough, and my finger didn't slide as easily across the surface as easily as it does on my TiBook's. It "stuck" when I used the same pressure as I use normally.

Keeping in mind my TiBook has been used almost daily for almost 5 years now and when I look at an angle at my trackpad, there is a shiny circle that takes up about 2/3 of the pad - oily residue from my finger. The circle is away from the edges, which is clearly because I use the middle more than the edge.

Has anyone noticed a "break-in" period for their trackpad, during which their finger doesn't slide quite as easily across the surface? It's been too long to remember what mine was like when the machine was brand new, and I'm assuming it was as rough as the MBP's but I was still getting used to the idea of a trackpad in general.

I don't really care - I'm getting an MBP as soon as possible and seeing as there have been no complaints about the trackpad, I'm assuming I'll either get used to it, or it will develop that silky surface like my TiBook in a relatively brief period of time.

I just found this on nnforums:

Quote:

I noticed the same thing. The trackpad on my powerbook was much smoother than my macbook pro. Then today I realized the trackpad on my MBP seemed smoother than it did the day I got it. I appears that the trackpad is a little rough at first, but just needs to be broken in. Now it is physically smoother, and scrolling/mousing seems much more responsive.

note: I use my laptop at least 10 hours a day for my job, so it took around 5 days @ 10 hours a day to start feeling smoother to the touch. Thats about 50 hours of usage.

Has anyone else noticed the "break in" period for the trackpad?

Yes, just as I suspected. Good news.
  • Reply 274 of 280
    Hi!

Im from the netherlands, and I got mine, 2,4 ghz model MBP today! Im so happy!

-anyone have any tips on the colour calibration?

I do notice the colours are rather pale, and i read i can change this via system prefs-displays-colours, but any tips on how to use the expert settings? what worked for you guys?

=They say its good to charge your battery to the max, and use it until its almost emtpy. Is this true?

Furthermore, they say that if you don't use your mbp much, its good to discharge it once a month. How do I do this? (www.apple.com/batteries/notebook.html)

Thanks!
  • Reply 275 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

Didn't there used to be a 250GB hard BTO option? Or am I imagining things?

Isn't there still? Coulda sworn there was one for the 15" at 5500rpm... *checks* hm, guess it was just 200GB...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I haven't ordered it yet. I'll be picking it up, from my bookstore, in a couple weeks and yes I plan on the high-res as well as filling her up with memory from the get-go. My current concern is the screen that I read about in another thread here (not LED?). My previous MBP model didn't impress here, so if I'm going to hang on to this for a while this is a big concern.

From what I've heard, the backlighting on the high-res display is much better than the normal 17" display, so you should be pretty good there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Mine hasn't shipped yet.

Join the crowd... *points to his signature*

Quote:

Since you have the larger external display, I'd say go with the 15" 2.4Ghz machine. The portability is much friendlier, and the LED will give you much better defined, crisper pictures than the 17", as well as save you a good amount on battery life.

Quote:

listen to Loungepop:

Quote:

Why wait? Just buy Leopard when it comes out and install it on your MBP. These MBP's are state-of-the-art and were originally going to be released with Leopard last month. Apple's new OS's don't cost an arm and a leg either. There's no reason to wait that I can see...

• Reply 276 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I I don't really care - I'm getting an MBP as soon as possible and seeing as there have been no complaints about the trackpad, I'm assuming I'll either get used to it, or it will develop that silky surface like my TiBook in a relatively brief period of time.

I just found this on nnforums:

Yes, just as I suspected. Good news.

I hope youre right man, im experiencing the same, too incidental 'break in/stuck' period with my trackpad from my new 2,4 MBP
  • Reply 277 of 280
    jcoopjcoop Posts: 3member
    Quote:

The first iteration of Leopard is going to have some glitches. It's been true of all the OS X cats so far--Puma, Cheetah, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger--and there's no reason to think Leopard will be immune. So why wait at least three, and possibly four, more months? Buy now, enjoy Tiger's stability, and let others do the final round of beta testing on Leopard.
  • Reply 278 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oscarroberto View Post

I hope youre right man, im experiencing the same, too incidental 'break in/stuck' period with my trackpad from my new 2,4 MBP

I'm confident we would have heard complaints if the sticky trackpad remains for long. My PB G4 trackpad has a section that's literally as reflective as glass by now - either it's worn down to be smooth, or my happyfingergrease has established a nice little slippery pond in the middle. Either way, it's like tracking over ice (toasty warm ice, that is.)
  • Reply 279 of 280
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Why do you think there will be another upgrade in less than 6 months? I was of the impression that 6 months was a minimum # these days for upgrades?