Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 141
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post


    No, no, no. As long as Steve Jobs is around, Apple will not release a headless midrange. As for the subnotebook, I really doubt that they would do that.

    They will likely release an update to the design of the Mac Pro. Remember, the design is even older then the current iMacs.



    And their will never be a sub $500 Mac and they will never switch to intel CPUs.
  • Reply 42 of 141
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post


    I'm not too sure I understand that. We sell iMacs like crazy, and lots of people want them. Just because you don't, doesn't make them unpopular. The vast majority of PC-switchers that walk into our store are positively thrilled with the idea of eliminating that big rat's nest of cables behind their desk. Calling the iMac a computer that nobody wants is a bit of a stretch.



    The MacPro is far from out-dated! You can show me hardware that is faster and cheaper?



    No one said the iMac is unpopular. It's very popular. But that doesn't make a headless option unpopular either. It appeals to a WHOLE different type of crowd. A crowd that won't even consider OS X because the hardware doesn't match what they want. 256bit / 384bit graphics cards, cheap full speed DDR2 ram, harddrive expandability, screen upgradeability... the imac doesn't offer any of these features. My favorite machine until the g5 was apple's 1500 - 1700 dollar model. It always fitted me. It was a nice desktop with graphics card upgradability, ram upgradability, 3+ harddrive slots, pci slots. It was my machine of choice. I have reasons not to purchase a mac pro but I will avoid those reasons to keep this thread on track.



    Point is, the imac isn't for everyone and apple needs to quit saying it is.
  • Reply 43 of 141
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post


    ... and they will never switch to intel CPUs.



    Huh? Aren't they already intel cpus?
  • Reply 44 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post


    Mac pro is in desparate need of new GPU's!!!!



    And for a computer that price, needs 2GB Ram as standard!!



    As it is a developers conference as such, i do think we could see this happen



    I'll agree here. If the MacBook Pro can get that kind of Ram upgrade, no reason the Mac Pro can't. And they do need new GPUs. I wouldn't be surprised to see either the Mac Pro, or Mac Mini get an upgrade at WWDC.
  • Reply 45 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post


    Mac pro is in desparate need of new GPU's!!!!



    And for a computer that price, needs 2GB Ram as standard!!



    I would hardly call that being "outdated". You can bring up the RAM and Video and still pay less than any competitor for similar hardware. I agree that the MacPro should ship with 2GB RAM. Hell, the MacBook Pros do. But the price is still less.



    As far as WWDC is concerned, updates could happen, but they will not likely be part of the Keynote.
  • Reply 46 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post


    And their will never be a sub $500 Mac and they will never switch to intel CPUs.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    Huh? Aren't they already intel cpus?



    That was sarcasm incase you missed it...
  • Reply 47 of 141
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    Huh? Aren't they already intel cpus?



    He was being ironic. Prior to the Mac mini launch, people were saying that Apple would never make a sub-$500 computer. Then, right before the Intel switch, people (including me, I'm afraid) were saying that Apple would never switch to Intel. Now, people are saying Apple would never introduce a minitower. The point is that these "Apple would never" statements tend not to be true these days.
  • Reply 48 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    No one said the iMac is unpopular?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post


    ?Build desktops that nobody wants (iMac)?



    Yes they did.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    Point is, the imac isn't for everyone and apple needs to quit saying it is.



    I agree with that. But whether or not Apple is going to do anything about it is up in the air. The Cube was moderately upgardeable, but was a $$ failure. The mini sucks eggs for upgradeability, but is relatively cheap.



    One way or another, Apple's exisitng model is what we have to work with. End of story. We can gripe, and they might listen, but they might not. We'll see.
  • Reply 49 of 141
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post


    They gotta intorduce something don't they. I cant remember a single keynote where some form of hardware wasn't introed.



    That means either a headless mac or a subnotebook. I cant wait.



    I can't imagine Apple would have refreshed Apple TV and the MBPs ahead of next week if they had nothing else to show. I'm thinking maybe displays, slightly refreshed MBs and HD content for iTS. Oh, and Leopard!
  • Reply 50 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post


    I would hardly call that being "outdated". You can bring up the RAM and Video and still pay less than any competitor for similar hardware. I agree that the MacPro should ship with 2GB RAM. Hell, the MacBook Pros do. But the price is still less.



    As far as WWDC is concerned, updates could happen, but they will not likely be part of the Keynote.



    I disagree. The new GPU's from nVidia that are rumored to be introduced into the Mac Pro (the new Quatro line) could get a spot in the keynote because they are so advanced and a huge leap from the last Quatro.
  • Reply 51 of 141
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post


    He was being ironic. Prior to the Mac mini launch, people were saying that Apple would never make a sub-$500 computer. Then, right before the Intel switch, people (including me, I'm afraid) were saying that Apple would never switch to Intel. Now, people are saying Apple would never introduce a minitower. The point is that these "Apple would never" statements tend not to be true these days.



    What does that mean, though? Just because I say Apple would never release Apple-branded donkey saddles doesn't mean it's going to be the One More Thing next week. Saying down is up doesn't make anybody right about anything.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post


    I disagree. The new GPU's from nVidia that are rumored to be introduced into the Mac Pro (the new Quatro line) could get a spot in the keynote because they are so advanced and a huge leap from the last Quatro.



    It's a far off possibility. Steve may take a moment of time to tell us something nifty like that. I guess it all depends on how much time he needs to demo Leopard/iLife/iwork.



    Back to iMacs, I'm still pretty certain that nothing will happen there. I bet we see a random note on the home page, after the keynote, that the iMacs are getting the same bump as the MacBook Pros, short of the RAM upgrade.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    Been waiting for months for somthing new.. has to be a update to the mac Pro!
  • Reply 54 of 141
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Frankly, I could care less about updated cases/form factor- IMO, the current iMac is, simply put, a stunning machine in the looks dept. But, they can't possibly be planning to go all the way until the fall without at least some incremental spec improvements.



    C'mon Apple!! I've got a switcher I'm buying an iMac for as soon as a new one gets released and he's gettin' impatient!
  • Reply 55 of 141
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    And, by the way, for the people that keep saying, "It's a developer's conference, not for consumers blah, blah..." --



    Yeah, the conference is. But the keynote is and has always been focused on everyone, not just developers. You won't find Steve up there talking about nitty-gritty technical matters. The keynote is aimed at the rest of us as well, and developers, being Mac users themselves, enjoy it too.



    Afterwards, they go to their technical workshops, and so on...
  • Reply 56 of 141
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    Mac Pro was NOT updated at MWSF 07. The OCTO update was a silent update on April 4th 2007.



    Sorry, before he updated his post it said WWDC 2006.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


    Been waiting for months for somthing new.. has to be a update to the mac Pro!



    The Mac Pro only came out last fall and was updated in April.



    That's a lot for towers that Apple in the past has only updated once per year.
  • Reply 58 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post


    And, by the way, for the people that keep saying, "It's a developer's conference, not for consumers blah, blah..." --



    Yeah, the conference is. But the keynote is and has always been focused on everyone, not just developers. You won't find Steve up there talking about nitty-gritty technical matters. The keynote is aimed at the rest of us as well, and developers, being Mac users themselves, enjoy it too.



    Afterwards, they go to their technical workshops, and so on...



    That is a very good point. Never thought of it that way.
  • Reply 59 of 141
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Maybe we'll see the subnotebook or an update to the Mac mini. Yeah, not likely. I've pretty much given up on Apple.
  • Reply 60 of 141
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post


    And, by the way, for the people that keep saying, "It's a developer's conference, not for consumers blah, blah..." --



    Yeah, the conference is. But the keynote is and has always been focused on everyone, not just developers. You won't find Steve up there talking about nitty-gritty technical matters. The keynote is aimed at the rest of us as well, and developers, being Mac users themselves, enjoy it too.



    Afterwards, they go to their technical workshops, and so on...



    That's what I think. How many times have you heard Steve Jobs at WWDC say stuff like "I don't know what it does, but it works!"?
Sign In or Register to comment.