Apple, AT&T neophytes to define iPhone audience - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Now the iPhone is a "male urban hipster object of desire".... What the hell does that mean?

It means that you are not one of them, and that the phone is not for you.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laurence13 View Post

Actually, the statistics are incorrect. I believe they mean 57000, rather than 75000, however even that is incorrect. The average income for the entire population is closer to 23000, but if you disregard children it falls closer to 36000. I'm not sure where they got the figure quoted, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househo..._United_States has details and links to the US census pages with the actual data.

Both you and Spam are wrong here.

If you read the paragraph more carefully, you will see that they are talking about those males who are interested in the iPhone. Those males are college graduates with an average salary of $75,000 a year.

This isn't so difficult to believe. Many college grads today can expect a high five figure salary walking in the door in many companies, if they are the right person, in the right profession.

Several professions will give even more.

And these males averaged 31 years of age, which will be several promotions later for the "successful" male they are describing.

And as they are a 31 year average, they could be lawyers, doctors, professors, computer people in leadership positions, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Here back in old Blighty, I have yet to see this mythical Apple hype about the iPhone. Steve Jobs presented it and demonstrated live its functionality, and now we have 3 or 4 TV ads. In between we have had news of the carrier and its release date. The only hype I have seen is the media self generated waffle. Apple-centric press praise the fact that it will be at least twice as good as any other phone, and dream up extras that could be added, while the PC-centric press deride the fact that is only twice as good, surely a sign that Apple is doomed - only estimating 10 million sales in a year, Zune will smash that with 1 million sales Microshaft maths is wild.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Didn't a report come out like a few minutes ago that more than half the cell phone population were female and that they would trade in their phones for the iPhone? Could we come up with some kind of analytical reports based on AI statements and Sean Wu and come up with something that's based on fact?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

The other interesting factor will be the use of OS X in the iPhone, giving every PC owning iPhone users a chance to "use the Mac" every day. As the Widgets get added over time this exposure is going to increase, adding another halo effect to the Macs.

Sorry, but there's not much OS X on the iPhone that anyone can see. Its more of a 'front row' type interface on top of OS X. So, its not like people will be using this and going "Wow! OS X is a great OS! I'm getting a Mac!"
  • Reply 26 of 36
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Sorry, but there's not much OS X on the iPhone that anyone can see. Its more of a 'front row' type interface on top of OS X. So, its not like people will be using this and going "Wow! OS X is a great OS! I'm getting a Mac!"

Enough people said "Wow! iPods are ace! I'm getting a Mac" though.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

zyphoid beeblebrok

Sounds like one of the names Eddie Izzard went through in the "Dress to Kill" bit about how Engelbert Humperdinck picked out his name. Awesome standup.

Engelbert Humperdinck is dead you know. No, I'm just kidding. Seriously, he died. I just saw it on CNN.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Many college grads today can expect a high five figure salary walking in the door in many companies, if they are the right person, in the right profession.

My maid makes five figures
  • Reply 29 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Almost half (43 percent) of all likely buyers lived in technically adept states such as California and New York.......

Example

Top Six States in U.S. Residential Broadband Penetration

Hawaii\t35.0%

Massachusetts\t32.2%

New Jersey\t30.6%

Connecticut\t29.1%

New York\t28.6%

California\t28.4%

Source:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0407/
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Er, what carrier offers unlimited voice? I've never seen it.

If voice (say 500 min + 5000 nights & weekend) plus unlimited data is over $60/mo for the iPhone, I'll probably pass.

Sprint offers unlimited voice and data... We thought about it then decided against it.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

My maid makes five figures

Reading comprehension!

I said *high* five figures.

You pay your maid $75,000 a year?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Example

Top Six States in U.S. Residential Broadband Penetration

Hawaii\t35.0%

Massachusetts\t32.2%

New Jersey\t30.6%

Connecticut\t29.1%

New York\t28.6%

California\t28.4%

Source:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0407/

California and New York get mentioned because they have the highest populations in the category.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Reading comprehension!

I said *high* five figures.

You pay your maid $75,000 a year?

Ex-wives can be very costly.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ex-wives can be very costly.

Ooh! That would be all my wife needs to hear, compared to a maid!
  • Reply 35 of 36
    eric1285eric1285 Posts: 29member
    Quote:

California and New York get mentioned because they have the highest populations in the category.

They've also got a very high concentration of Mac users and yuppies. No doubt the iPhone will be a great tool for getting people to switch, as people will show it to their friends and their friends will be wowed, and think "gee, maybe I should get an iPhone/iPod/Mac".
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post

They've also got a very high concentration of Mac users and yuppies. No doubt the iPhone will be a great tool for getting people to switch, as people will show it to their friends and their friends will be wowed, and think "gee, maybe I should get an iPhone/iPod/Mac".

To be sure.