New Redesigned iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    That's cute. I guess you glue the base to your desk?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Why would you have to do that? It's not going to tip.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Thats f'in tight. You should work for Apple. If there was a tipping problem you could mount magnets in the base and under your desk, shielded if necessary.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I love the assuredness here. Very good.

Seriously, though, nice mockup. Still doesn't quite look like it's achieving equilibrium, but it's attractive nonetheless.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Because as stiff as the hinges would have to be, when you pull the display back up the base will come along with it, if not fastened down. Nice looking mockup though!
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I was thinking more like the tech used in the arm of the old G4 iMac...so not just hinges, somethig magical...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:

I'd like to see the front of this thing.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

I was thinking more like the tech used in the arm of the old G4 iMac...so not just hinges, somethig magical...

Magical...I like that.

Spring loaded hinges might work but I think the base would have to be heavier than it appears. Sorry, I don't mean to spoil the concept with useless practicality.

Something much like your idea would be an improvement over the current iMac, since there's no height adjustment on current models. But I'm gonna barf if I hear the phrase "multi-touch" very much more than I already have.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    that is one hell of a iMac,

one question with all these slim design, how thick is the 3.5" HDD?

thinness is possible when they really go for 2.5"/1.8" HDD in there, but not yet, 7200 RPM drives are costing a bomb now

or

Flash based HDDs
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

I'd like to see the front of this thing.

The reflection is fjucked up, but who cares.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    the base is big, it should be same size or less

but nice nice
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Looks great! I like the black face much better than white. I'd be very tempted by one of these even though I don't like all-in-ones. Make it 30 inches and I'm sold.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Sexiest mock-tp I've seen yet. Love it!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

the base is big, it should be same size or less

but nice nice

With the fold its probably needed for stability.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

With the fold its probably needed for stability.

it'd be pretty scary if that's what the new iMac looked like
  • Reply 16 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

The reflection is fjucked up, but who cares.

Apparently Apple don't either because they make them the same way. On the iMac one, they've started to cut off the reflection sooner to avoid the distortion. ctrl-scroll zoom on the images:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

I think the bevelled edge would be stronger than the flat edge but that would be more appropriate on their laptops and iphone. It doesn't look nice to me on a desktop.

I like the screen on the front view but the hinge would never pass Apple's strict design - oh wait, they used a chin on the last one so yeah I guess it would get through. For support, I don't see it. It would have to have a clip in there somewhere - those machines are heavy.

I also don't think the silver base goes with the black. I don't think it goes with white either and it's why I'm hoping the brushed metal is all over.

Someone posted an aluminium iMac mockup with cheese grater sides like the Mac Pro and that's more what I'd like to see. The iphone resemblance doesn't work IMO. For being able to lay it down, I could see a design like Sony's iMac equivalent being more suitable.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I bet we will see a new glossy screen on the imac
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Vapour View Post

Weren't they glossy already? With the case plastic that goes over it... or something... <_<

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Magical...I like that.

Spring loaded hinges might work but I think the base would have to be heavier than it appears. Sorry, I don't mean to spoil the concept with useless practicality.

Something much like your idea would be an improvement over the current iMac, since there's no height adjustment on current models. But I'm gonna barf if I hear the phrase "multi-touch" very much more than I already have.

I'm totally with you on that, especially the barfing at the sound of multi-touch...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    [QUOTE=MusLtngBlue;1093938]Weren't they glossy already? With the case plastic that goes over it... or something... <_<

The case was glossy, but I think the screen will also go glossy like the MacBook.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Vapour View Post

And Apple's new marketing line will be "not only can you see what you're working on, but you can now see your face, your shirt and everything else in the room too!"