iPhone to support third-party Web 2.0 applications

Comments

• Reply 61 of 139
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I'm interested. What are you talking about - multiple contact points???

The big touted feature of the iPhone: multitouch (tracking multiple touch points at the same time). That's what really interests me as a developer.

Now that I think about it, Apple hasn't really mentioned anything about multiple fingers being dragged across the screen (only multiple fingers touching the screen). I hope it isn't a weird hack that's only useful for typing. That would be a bit of a disappointment.
  • Reply 62 of 139
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Given that Apple claims that the pointer from a finger is plenty good to punch into a keyboard, I really don't see the problem here. It looks to me like it has better operation than a mouse, and without having to push around a piece of plastic. I've used my fingernail on a Palm to handle drop-down menus without trouble, and my Palm has exactly the same size and rez screen as the iPhone. I'm well aware that a fingerprint is a larger area to track than a fingernail impression, but it looks like maybe they have improved tracking enough to make it a viable means of "mouse" input, and IMO, better than a trackpad.

I don't agree at all. Just using the finger will prove to be very limiting.

I have no problem with the stylus from my Treo. Jobs should have given the option of both. There is at least one new phone from HTC that does. It's far better. I can use my finger even with my Treo, in the right application. I can also use my nail to select, which you can't do on the iPhone either. Don't forget that. So, if you were thinking that you could use your nail, don't.

It's not the keyboard that's the problem. You're just picking one part of the computer interface. It's everything else.
  • Reply 63 of 139
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Now that I think about it, Apple hasn't really mentioned anything about multiple fingers being dragged across the screen (only multiple fingers touching the screen).

Doesn't the "pinch" to zoom work by dragging two fingers?
  • Reply 64 of 139
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, I want my iphone to be able to replace my Treo. But it can't. It's not as capable.

My new iPhone to come, will replace my Treo like shit through a goose. And to suggest that it is not as capable, man you better get your head out of the way?
  • Reply 65 of 139
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

No, I want my iphone to be able to replace my Treo. But it can't. It's not as capable.

Then again, for me, its exactly what I need to 'replace' by laptop. On most trips I don't need all the capabilities of the laptop just e-mail and web access to both the internet and our companies web apps. Also, simple syncing with my calendar and contacts along with music and videos is a simple plus. With the ability to potentially customize those apps its even better.

I think Apple has made it clear they are going after a different market than the current 'smartphones'. There is certainly overlap between the markets but its a different take and one I obviously think will be very successful.
  • Reply 66 of 139
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    can you plug in an ethernet port when there isn't wifi.

No. Then it can't replace my laptop when traveling. Unless I also pack an airport express.

Let's wait and see what develops. I get a sense that we are only seeing some of the pieces of the puzzle. The full feature rich iphone (which apple is booking as a 24 month revenue stream) will be revealed when leopard pounces. I am sure.

Right now there are a bazillion people about to line up on june 29th at 6pm. The wall to wall coverage of the hoards and the ensuing ramp up is what is probably concerning steve and co right now.

Once all of the iphones go live there will be updates. My guess is that Steve wants as smooth a roll out as possible with as few feature sets as he can safely roll out. Then later add fancy stuff.

Think ipod + itunes paradigm. Web 2.0 is a stop gap measure. There will be a sdk just not yet.
  • Reply 67 of 139
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I am disappointed that Apple will not allow 3rd party widgets. And it appears they won't even allow an interface for web apps.

90% of the use of any phone will be for communication: phone calls, sms text, and e-mail. All of those other functions will fall into the lower 10%. I think the ultimate success of a phone will be on how well it performs the main communication functions. And depend less on how you can use a drawing app or word processing app. Why would you do that stuff on a phone anyway?

Lets wait and see what Apple's ideas are.
  • Reply 68 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

My new iPhone to come, will replace my Treo like shit through a goose. And to suggest that it is not as capable, man you better get your head out of the way?

Between this thread and the other, you are proving yourself to be quite the fanboy.
  • Reply 69 of 139
    What bothers me about all of this is the expectation that there is so much that is possible, but so little that is being offered.

I have nothing against what it can do.

My disappointment is where it falls down.

What's the point of Jobs emphasizing that it uses the full version of OS X (other than unneeded drivers, etc), if it isn't being used?

If we can't take full advantage of the OS then Apple could have put in a much simpler version with just the barest number of API's to get the job done. But, they didn't. Why?

I still have to hope that using AJAX and XML will be only the first method allowed. That at some point in time, perhaps before the end of the year, as he said, there will be another way that we will all be happy with.
  • Reply 70 of 139
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Come on boys and girls... Until just a few weeks ago (where Steve dropped a hint) it was ALL BUT GUARANTEED that the iPhone was to be a 'protected/limited-access' device. Where Apple and a perhaps a handful of anointed-others would be the only ones with developer privileges.

Now this is not entirely true - we've been shown that a method of adding functionality to the iPhone does exist for mere mortal-developers. Sure it's overflowing with limitations and unmovable roadblocks but none the less it exists.

If nothing else, it's a sign that Apple not only realizes that people want to develop for the iPhone but they are attempting to do something about it (as opposed to simply ignoring the situation - ala iPod).

With any luck this is simply the first set of many for iPhone development solutions...

Just my .02

Dave
  • Reply 71 of 139
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Between this thread and the other, you are proving yourself to be quite the fanboy.

Please define.
  • Reply 72 of 139
    I'm thinking that they will eventually open it up to 3rd parties. This Web 2.0 stuff is just to tie us over until they do.
  • Reply 73 of 139
    Quote:

My new iPhone to come, will replace my Treo like shit through a goose.

Clean up that analogy, Tommy Boy.
  • Reply 74 of 139
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Or the target market
  • Reply 75 of 139
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Nothing is. But I can guarantee that when a member of my staff hits the road, he/she will have custom apps via Web 2 that connects to a secure internal in-house server, allowing them to communicate with the company in the manner that I want them to. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the connection bullet-proof. Sure there could be a few scars on the way, but by the time the vault is cracked, the safe is empty or worthless and moved.

Suggest you start thinking out of the box. Apple is giving us tools, i.e., Multitouch, Safari 3 and the iPhone to do some highly innovative things. But first and foremost, the iPhone is a just a phone. I don't expect anybody to be playing, surfing or creating artwork wasting connect time on something that I am paying for it. They can do that on their MacBooks faster, easier and cheaper.

If you're pushing iPhones on your company, I hope they realize they can get web enabled phones for less than half the $600 price.
  • Reply 76 of 139
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Come on boys and girls... Until just a few weeks ago (where Steve dropped a hint) it was ALL BUT GUARANTEED that the iPhone was to be a 'protected/limited-access' device. Where Apple and a perhaps a handful of anointed-others would be the only ones with developer privileges.

Now this is not entirely true - we've been shown that a method of adding functionality to the iPhone does exist for mere mortal-developers. Sure it's overflowing with limitations and unmovable roadblocks but none the less it exists.

"We've been shown" that the iPhone has a web browser ... we've known this for many months (as do other phones). That is all we've been shown and offered. You're severely misinterpreting web browsing as "a method of adding functionality to the iPhone."

In that case, Apple is adding development capabilities to Windows PCs by offering Safari for it.
  • Reply 77 of 139
    Quote:

Please define.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy
  • Reply 78 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post

I'm thinking that they will eventually open it up to 3rd parties. This Web 2.0 stuff is just to tie us over until they do.

Hopefully so.
  • Reply 79 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Or the target market

Oh lord. I hope not.
  • Reply 80 of 139
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

What's the point of Jobs emphasizing that it uses the full version of OS X (other than unneeded drivers, etc), if it isn't being used?

If we can't take full advantage of the OS then Apple could have put in a much simpler version with just the barest number of API's to get the job done. But, they didn't. Why?

I'm surprised Mel. I thought you of all people would be able to appreciate taking caution with new hardware and software. Apple is new to all of this. Once there are a million iPhones out there they have to be sure they work as planned. Their will be the inevitable kinks that will need to be ironed out.

Using OS X sets a strong foundation from the beginning. That doesn't mean the iPhone has to meet its full potential from day 1. This is just a starting point. If it goes well Apple's development of more complex functions for the phone may accelerate quickly. If there are problems Apple may spend most of its time fixing things and further development may be slow.

I imagine in some ways Apple isn't 100% sure how its all going to work out.