Electronic Arts, id Software announce commitment to Mac gaming

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Games for the Mac. Great. But where is the hardware for that. Games like C&C 3 need a decent gpu and even the gpu in the new macbook pro is only a midrange card. All the integrated gpu crap just sucks for gaming. There is only one conclusion. Apple will release an expandable Mac with better gpu options. Just my two cents.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Great for you. Not everyone wants to reboot just to play a game.

Not to mention paying for Windows.

Couldn't you use Parallels if you hate rebooting?

And, $149 (which is only $20 over Leopard) for a legit copy of Windows XP Professional was not that much to pay for opening up a whole world of games etc (esp. for my 11 and 8 year olds). It also enabled me to use a whole lot of financial, statistical, and simulation software for which I had to previously use a computer at work.

I could go on.

The larger point is: good for you, if as an Apple user, you are pleased with being possibly able to play four games from EA!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

i bet they must be a ton of people that want their money back from WWDC,what the heck was that all about? they show everything they show last year, and who cares about another bowser i can already see apple stock falling from $126 to about 80 bucks, just watch and see,

No offense, but are you retarded?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

i bet they must be a ton of people that want their money back from WWDC,what the heck was that all about? they show everything they show last year, and who cares about another bowser i can already see apple stock falling from $126 to about 80 bucks, just watch and see,

You don't know what you are talking about. It's a developer's conference, not MacWorld Expo. There is far more to it than what the keynote would indicate, with numerous tracks in many different software technologies and easy-to-get help.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Couldn't you use Parallels if you hate rebooting?

Without knowing how the new version works, that's a bit much to say. I haven't seen any reviews of it yet. Their site says it only supports up to DirectX 8.1 and they make no claim of how much or little hit it takes vs running it in BootCamp. The EA games aren't out yet either, so there is no information or basis of comparison with the full Windows counterpart.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Without knowing how the new version works, that's a bit much to say. I haven't seen any reviews of it yet. Their site says it only supports up to DirectX 8.1 and they make no claim of how much or little hit it takes vs running it in BootCamp. The EA games aren't out yet either, so there is no information or basis of comparison with the full Windows counterpart.

I have seen a review of how version 2 ran using BootCamp, and it wasn't pretty.

While some aspects are ok, some were 20%, 30%, and in the case of disk access, 50% or more, slower than running it normally.

As DirectX 8.1 is already almost useless for newer games, one is limited to OpenGL games. How the performance through BootCamp will be, I can't imagine, except to look at what I said, above.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

So then, given all the uncertainly and ifs and buts, to me it sounds like non-news (which was the point of my original post that said "yawn.")
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

So then, given all the uncertainly and ifs and buts, to me it sounds like non-news (which was the point of my original post that said "yawn.")

Let me put it this way: your suggestions weren't really any better or helpful either.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

You don't know what you are talking about. It's a developer's conference, not MacWorld Expo. There is far more to it than what the keynote would indicate, with numerous tracks in many different software technologies and easy-to-get help.

This has to be the first WWDC where Cocoa finally is top billing and everything from the Finder to Xcode 3.0 is written in ObjC-2.0/Cocoa.

This is the first developer conference I wish I had attended.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

The larger point is: good for you, if as an Apple user, you are pleased with being possibly able to play four games from EA!

The game selection on the OS X side, while certainly not as wide as PC, is a bit better than most people think:

http://www.apple.com/games/

• Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

Let me put it this way: your suggestions weren't really any better or helpful either.

My friend, I will claim neither! Ever.

Just some stream-of-consciousness stuff, that's all.

• Reply 32 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,410moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

The game selection on the OS X side, while certainly not as wide as PC, is a bit better than most people think:

http://www.apple.com/games/

Yeah but then they go and try to buy those games and find that they cost 3 times the Windows version. This is really why transgaming's software is the easiest for most developers. Instead of having dedicated mac devs, they can focus on making a good product and just recompile with the transgaming devkit and they automatically get more sales.

I can actually see this becoming a big driving force for Mac gaming because as soon as big developers like EA get on board with popular titles, it should heat up the competition a bit. It probably won't attract PC gamers because they'll know they are just using Cider but it's quite good for Mac users who miss out on good titles.

One huge concern I have is whether or not they are going to have any low-level kernel extensions for copy protection. I've seen that more and more on PC games and I hate it. You have to restart after the game installs in order for it to verify your disc. The likes of the id games for Mac, you just drag the application into place. It's so much easier and I hope that won't change with transgaming.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah but then they go and try to buy those games and find that they cost 3 times the Windows version.

Eh? The prices appear to be what new PC games cost. Probably you're comparing to bargain bin prices, for titles that come out first on PC, and then hit the bargain bin by the time the Mac version comes out.

That does happen, but so do simultaneous or near-simultaneous Mac-PC releases. A lot of my PC friends were shocked that Mac folks got World of Warcraft at the same time they did.

• Reply 34 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,410moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Eh? The prices appear to be what new PC games cost. Probably you're comparing to bargain bin prices, for titles that come out first on PC, and then hit the bargain bin by the time the Mac version comes out.

Mainly I mean just separate versions of each. Price lowering happens based on sales. PC games have such huge sales that the game drops in price pretty quickly but Mac versions take ages to go down in price if they ever do.

If Transgaming releases are both in the same package, this shouldn't be a problem but I meant for existing games it still is a problem.