louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Hear Hear (or is it here here?)

I'm told the former, not the latter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirROM View Post

What I do to sync is this:

I go into Address Book and export my contacts to a file on the desktop. Then I do the same thing in iCal with the specific calendars I want. Then I mount my iPod on the desktop as a hard drive and open it. One the top level, there will be a folder for Contacts and another for Calendars. Remove the files that are already there (not the enclosing folder) and just drop in the exported files you created earlier into the appropriately name folder. Unmount the iPod and Viola!, there are all your contacts and calendars on the iPod. No iTunes needed!

Morale of the story, if your programs can export in the .ics (calendar) and .vcf (contact) formats, you can do this the easy way!

Great! Except the whole point of syncing is not having to do this. Also, its a pain in the ol' ass if your contact list actually changes (did I copy the changes, or didn't I?) or use the calendar for daily tasking.

But not one to use my iPod on multiple computers, but can't you set up iTunes on one computer to not sync music, but just contacts and calendar, and on the other have it sync music and not the other, and let it just work? Or is that too obvious a way to pirate music off your ipod that they don't allow this?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    17 bloody days until the thing ships, and I still can't figure out if it will sync To Dos from iCal, or just calendar entries.

It better do To Dos...
  • Reply 23 of 41
    neondietneondiet Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

17 bloody days until the thing ships, and I still can't figure out if it will sync To Dos from iCal, or just calendar entries.

It better do To Dos...

I know, I totally agree. Apple seem so focused on the other features they've completely ignored iCal. If this really is real OS X on a phone, then iCal on the iPhone should be capable of multiple calendars in calendar groups with full ToDo support. Just like it is on real OS X.

Come on Apple, give us some more information please !!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    gibsongibson Posts: 1member
    Since we now know that iPhone will be open to third-party developers, is it safe to assume that an official Gmail app for iPhone will be released by Google? If not by Google, then by some other adventurous developer? My guess would be yes. However the gmail app for dumbphones is Java based and according to Steve, Java is a no-go for the iPhone. Hmm...

Reason I bring it up here is that it would be great to use the iPhone's built-in email capabilities for "work-related" email, and a separate app for personal email. I like the separation of church and state.

I can't speak for most people, but free web based email is my preference for personal email as opposed to the costly MS Outlook for PC. However, Outlook is the preference for corporations. While it will be nice to sync with the work PC for contacts, etc. However, it would be even NICER to also have the capability to sync with gmail calendar and contacts.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Check out this link:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/getready.html

It says that it supports Yahoo mail, Gmail, AOL and .mac mail.

It can sync calendars from iCal, Entourage on the Mac and Outlook on a PC.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean formated with FAT32. The iPod runs its own OS so formatting as HFS+ or FAT32 isn't a big deal, but the iPhone is OS X. Either Apple will allow OS X to run under FAT32 (which I doubt) or they have created a tool that will allow Windows to see and access HFS+. Are there any other options for the iPhone connecting to Windows?

Parsing out CSV to VCF isn't tough. There are plenty of free tools that will do it. As far as I can tell, Apple is already doing this or they are having multiple configuration possibilities to the iPhone AddressBook. Whatever they do I just hope it's not a one way sync; it would be nice to auto sync your iPhone's new addressbook entries back into Outlook/Outlook Express.

Its likely that the memory could be partitioned into two volumes - one HFS+ storing the OS, another FAT32 or HFS+ for your media. Alternatively, the OS may be on an entirely separate flash chip. I guess this is more likely, as the OS is probably fairly large and would otherwise waste a fair amount of your 4 or 8GB.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

Check out this link:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/getready.html

It says that it supports Yahoo mail, Gmail, AOL and .mac mail.

It can sync calendars from iCal, Entourage on the Mac and Outlook on a PC.

Exactly as AppleInsider reported here yesterday
  • Reply 28 of 41
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Can the iPhone be purchased without a contract and activated later?

Can the iPhone be purchased without a contract and the SIM card from my exisitng phone be used?

Can the iPhone be purchased with a pay as you go plan?

Can the iPhone be purchased without a data plan?

The original iPhone commercials mentioned a manditory new 2 year contract which was removed from later versions of the commercials. If the iPhone is not subsidized shouldn't one be able to purchase it for $499 without contract and use their existing SIM and contract? Otherwise what is the point?

Can I transfer files such as PDFs and store them on the iPhone? It looks as if it can only display PDFs from websites and emails but not store them. I see no way of browsing stored files just the four icons for phone, email, safari and iPod. None of the icons shown in phone mode indicate that any files can be stored other than music and video.

Why is it that with just two weeks to go virtually nothing is known about the iPhone's capabilities?
  • Reply 29 of 41
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Why is it that with just two weeks to go virtually nothing is known about the iPhone's capabilities?

Because no one drinks the kool-aid if they know what's in it.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Can the iPhone be purchased without a contract and the SIM card from my exisitng phone be used?

Can the iPhone be purchased with a pay as you go plan?

Can the iPhone be purchased without a data plan?

The original iPhone commercials mentioned a manditory new 2 year contract which was removed from later versions of the commercials. If the iPhone is not subsidized shouldn't one be able to purchase it for $499 without contract and use their existing SIM and contract? Otherwise what is the point?

Can I transfer files such as PDFs and store them on the iPhone? It looks as if it can only display PDFs from websites and emails but not store them. I see no way of browsing stored files just the four icons for phone, email, safari and iPod. None of the icons shown in phone mode indicate that any files can be stored other than music and video.

Oh, it'll come (PDF + other files). Perhaps as soon as the launch date, or perhaps with the launch of Leopard and new iLife and iWork apps that better integrate with Leopard, Apple TV, and the iPhone.

Someone in another thread mentioned the possibilities of a "Back to My Mac" feature that would see a lot of use on the iPhone. What a concept with a lot of potential for increasing .Mac membership (that Apple has always wanted, but has never really been able to get).
  • Reply 31 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Someone in another thread mentioned the possibilities of a "Back to My Mac" feature that would see a lot of use on the iPhone. What a concept with a lot of potential for increasing .Mac membership (that Apple has always wanted, but has never really been able to get).

I'm been talking about this for a long time. IT's so simple for Apple to implement with it's current OS and .Mac services. It works like a bit torrent tracker servers work, except on the small scale only maintaining info about your personal machines. Like the way SlingBox works.

Jobs made no mention of this being available on the iPhone. He specifically said "Mac" during the demo. Even if AT&T didn't want that kind of streaming across their cell network they could at least allow it when WiFi was enabled.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:

I'm been talking about this for a long time. IT's so simple for Apple to implement with it's current OS and .Mac services. . . . they could at least allow it when WiFi was enabled.

Well then I'd say that you've been onto something for a long time then.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    So, if the iPhone goes on sale in the online Apple store, do you think it will go on sale at 6p.m. Eastern time or wait until 9p.m. Western time.

They can't control the internet separately in different time zones, can they?

So maybe the west coasters will be able to buy one online at 3p.m.???
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

So, if the iPhone goes on sale in the online Apple store, do you think it will go on sale at 6p.m. Eastern time or wait until 9p.m. Western time.

I think it goes on sale at 6pm in each time zone.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0 View Post

I think it goes on sale at 6pm in each time zone.

OK, but how do you control time zones on a website such as Apple's online store?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

OK, but how do you control time zones on a website such as Apple's online store?

Three letters: R-D-F.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

It will not make any difference, it still has to be shipped to you, so you're not getting it any earlier... They might offer it online the day before for all the difference it'll make.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

This has been my question for quite some time. I would like to buy the iPhone for someone else. I will not be able to sign any contract, activate it, etc. because the phone is not for me.

Can someone answer this question? Can I buy the iPhone as a gift on June 29?
  • Reply 39 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

This has been my question for quite some time. I would like to buy the iPhone for someone else. I will not be able to sign any contract, activate it, etc. because the phone is not for me.

Can someone answer this question? Can I buy the iPhone as a gift on June 29?

No, it can't.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

No, it can't.

Do you have any support for this? No one has yet been able to give me a reason -

(I don't mean to be smart; I just have been planning this for some time and will be disappointed if I can't do it.)