Safari for Windows downloads Top 1 million

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    did they release safari 3 for mac? how is that running?
  • Reply 22 of 37
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Anyone figured how to get rid of the "Are you sure you want to quit Safari" message? It's really annoying.

Also, just noticed after posting it doesn't want to close the tab: "You have entered text on “Safari for Windows downloads Top 1 million - AppleInsider”. If you close the tab, your changes will be lost. Do you want to close the tab anyway?"

All this "are you sure?" weirdness. I wonder if they've taken some nasty design cues from Windows?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Also on the mac version which is slower on my machine than 2.0 if you open a pdf in the browser it crashes.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    I'm really glad they release Safari for Windows, I have the shame of using a scratty old PC at work with no IE7 for tabbed browsing etc. Besides all the other Safari benefits this was somthing I really needed.

My only problem so far, which is to be kinda expected of a Beta, is that it freezes up every now and then, only to kick back into life again after about 30 seconds. Same happens on my other XP-based laptop at home which is a much higher-spec than the work PC.

I'm sure it'll get sorted
  • Reply 25 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

It's windows. They are used to unstable systems.

If you talk about Windows 95, 98, Me, then yes, those were the joke OS's of the '90 (although Mac OS 8 and 9 were not better in stability). But with Windows 2000 and afterwards the situation is much improved. Actually I have yet to experience a hard system crach under Win2000 and XP, while OS X already gave me 5 or 6 kernel panics in the last 4 years. So, not everyone has a bad experience with the last Windows versions in the stability front.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I'm really glad they release Safari for Windows, I have the shame of using a scratty old PC at work with no IE7 for tabbed browsing etc. Besides all the other Safari benefits this was somthing I really needed.

Why haven't you tried Opera and Firefox?
  • Reply 27 of 37
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By God, poor people always seem to get the short end of the stick, don't they?

reading that was a great way to start the morning. thanks!
  • Reply 28 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

It's windows. They are used to unstable systems.

Brilliant

ROFL
  • Reply 29 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

If you talk about Windows 95, 98, Me, then yes, those were the joke OS's of the '90 (although Mac OS 8 and 9 were not better in stability). But with Windows 2000 and afterwards the situation is much improved. Actually I have yet to experience a hard system crach under Win2000 and XP, while OS X already gave me 5 or 6 kernel panics in the last 4 years. So, not everyone has a bad experience with the last Windows versions in the stability front.

You are one lucky dude, thought about going to Vegas?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I wish we'd get back to why poor people are stupid? Because they use Windows? Safari for Windows?

Now I'll be up all night trying to figure it out. And I'm not even poor.

Poor person. Up all night trying to figure out this fact... Welcome to that group.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You pay my journey and I promise to take you with me to play. Oh, and I will bring this magic rabbit's foot, that keeps the Windows machines up and running, to rub your hand with every time you throw the dice.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

While I havn't experienced a hard system crash yet on Windows, if I leave my box on for more than 5 days (my work box), it gets wonky (apps start crashing for no reason). I gerneally restart it once a week. My Mac I only restart after software updates.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

While I havn't experienced a hard system crash yet on Windows, if I leave my box on for more than 5 days (my work box), it gets wonky (apps start crashing for no reason). I gerneally restart it once a week. My Mac I only restart after software updates.

You are both lucky. My XP system at work crashes at least once a week.

On the Mac side I've had about 6 kernel panics in the 5+ year life of my mac. The last time caused by a faulty PCI card
  • Reply 34 of 37
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Safari for Windows is OK, but like most Apple software, it's always better on Mac.

It's not very Windows-like, like iTunes, it uses some Mac conventions, and is a RAM hog, but seeing as a lot of PC's have at least 512 MB, it's not that bad, but by and large, Apple doesn't write the best of Windows apps, but at least it's better than the Quicktime.

It does load pages fairly fast, but it scrolls through pages slowly - Opera still smokes it in most areas for me. And with the Tango theme, Opera looks better as well, and since I'm running Vista, the Safari UI/Aero combination looks really odd together.

But what is most disappointing about Safari for Windows, is that it doesn't offer anything to set it apart from FF, Opera, or even IE7. Opera supports nearly all the web standards, passes ACID 2 test, etc...and it has widgets, which aren't nearly as flexible as FF extensions, but I have a couple that do use. Even IE7 has tabs and add-ons, Safari has tabs and a built-in spell checker, which FF also has, and Opera/IE7 can do with add-ons. The only real explanation would be because of the iPhone, but how many web browsers can someone really use?

As for the "it's only beta" thing, most Windows users wouldn't have been so quick to jump, if Apple hadn't made all the claims about being faster and easier to use than every other Windows browser, and for a lot of people, that didn't seem to be the case...so Apple should take the heat for it, they should've just announced the beta release, and left it at that.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Safari for Windows is OK, but like most Apple software, it's always better on Mac.

It's not very Windows-like, like iTunes, it uses some Mac conventions, and is a RAM hog, but seeing as a lot of PC's have at least 512 MB, it's not that bad, but by and large, Apple doesn't write the best of Windows apps, but at least it's better than the Quicktime.

It does load pages fairly fast, but it scrolls through pages slowly - Opera still smokes it in most areas for me. And with the Tango theme, Opera looks better as well, and since I'm running Vista, the Safari UI/Aero combination looks really odd together.

But what is most disappointing about Safari for Windows, is that it doesn't offer anything to set it apart from FF, Opera, or even IE7. Opera supports nearly all the web standards, passes ACID 2 test, etc...and it has widgets, which aren't nearly as flexible as FF extensions, but I have a couple that do use. Even IE7 has tabs and add-ons, Safari has tabs and a built-in spell checker, which FF also has, and Opera/IE7 can do with add-ons. The only real explanation would be because of the iPhone, but how many web browsers can someone really use?

As for the "it's only beta" thing, most Windows users wouldn't have been so quick to jump, if Apple hadn't made all the claims about being faster and easier to use than every other Windows browser, and for a lot of people, that didn't seem to be the case...so Apple should take the heat for it, they should've just announced the beta release, and left it at that.

I was on eBay and noticed this rather dismal assessment of Safari by some very hard core MS IE 7 lovers over there on the Computers & Networking Board. On that site , only Vista is despised more than Apple & Mac.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.js...=1182048861534

Pay particular attention to the post by the_id_that_dash_built
  • Reply 36 of 37
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

I was on eBay and noticed this rather dismal assessment of Safari by some very hard core MS IE 7 lovers over there on the Computers & Networking Board. On that site , only Vista is despised more than Apple & Mac.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.js...=1182048861534

Pay particular attention to the post by the_id_that_dash_built

I usually don't use IE7, even with the Protected Mode security; as for Vista, it's fine, it's mainly that MS completely updated/broke the video and sound subsystem, depending on your POV. If you have Vista drivers, it's smooth sailing, if not, you wonder who to blame first, MS or the OEM.

To me that the beauty/failing of Apple - they control all the hardware and stability should be way high, but you have no real choice in the selection. I've made complants about the lack of $1500 mid-tower, but Apple pidgeon holes everyone with a laptop in a different case (mini, imac, MB, MBP), or a $2500 server. There is no middle ground, the higher prices I could deal with, but the lack of hardware selection keeps me away. For example, I'm still using an AGP system, if I really wanted to, I could buy an AGP DX10 card, I think even Nvidia will release the 8600 as one.

As for Safari, it behaves nearly identical for me in XP too, it does remember my default browser (Opera) correctly though, I can't turn off smooth scrolling, and I still don't see any advantage with it over Opera or FF.

Safari has potential, but it needs an ad blocker, like the one built-in with Opera or the Ad Blocker ext for FF, a tab bar that opens a new tab when you double click on it, and one thing I like about IE7, is the hidden File menu, until you hit Alt; it does make it cleaner.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EdRed View Post

You are both lucky. My XP system at work crashes at least once a week.

On the Mac side I've had about 6 kernel panics in the 5+ year life of my mac. The last time caused by a faulty PCI card

I use XP SP2 and Tiger almost every day. When I work at home (i.e., when I'm not being a road warrior) I have both systems running simultaneously all day. XP has not crashed on me in 2 years and I have never had a Kernel panic on either my Macbook or my desktop Pro. Must be the water on Long Island.

As to Safari on Windows, I have not tried it yet. I use FF exclusively on XP and FF & Camino on the Macs. The list of problems (below) provided by the eBay guy was disturbing, if true. Was this guy accurate in his assessment or did he just not know how to setup Safari correctly?

Re-posted from an eBay commenter on Safari

Just downloaded it an installed it. Ten minutes in and I hate it already.

-You can't turn font smoothing off. If I wanted fuzzy text I'd buy an LCD.

-You can't close a tab by middle clicking on it.

-No page/text resizing/zooming with the scroll wheel.

-Only basic dragging and dropping.

-Tab history isn't portable.

-No going back to the previous tab by clicking on the current one.

-Crashed when I hit the bug report icon.

-No duplicating tabs.

-No extensions or addons.

-Crashed when I tried to customize the toolbars.

-No ad-blocker.

-No "unclosing" of closed tabs.

-No session manager.

-No "Alt-Tab" type function for switching tabs.

-No thumbnail or tiled view of tabs.

-No way to distinguish a read tab from an unread one.

-Very little control over the way pages open in Windows or tabs.

-Non standard title bar.

-Clicking on the address bar doesn't auto select it's contents.

-Tab bar disappears with only one tab open.

-Blue drop down arrows on pages.

-No splitting the window to more than one tab.

-No way to go "up a level" in a website address.

-Tries to autocomplete in the address bar, even with sites you've never visited.

-No "auto suffix" for URLs.

Well I guess it's fine if you only visit a couple of sites a day and don't spend too much time online.

And maybe I'm wrong with some of the above as I did only spend ten minutes with it, but that was enough for me. Feels like going back too far in time. And it's a bit ugly