AT&T recommending "Crowd Control Devices" for iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wireless carrier AT&T is recommending that its retail store managers acquire stanchions ahead of next week's Apple iPhone roll-out in order to assure an orderly and successful launch.

"You and your landlord need to determine an area outside the store where customer lines should form and whether or not stanchions (standards & ropes or chains) for crowd control are needed," AT&T's corporate offices wrote in memo to store managers.

"Unless you expect a low turn out at your store, Corporate Security and Corporate Real Estate recommend that all Store Managers order stanchions to help form orderly lines as customers wait for launch time."

The memo, which was published over at the Boy Genius Report, also instructs managers to tell their landlord that the iPhone launch will begin on Friday, June 29 at 6:00PM.

"In order to prepare for the launch we plan to close our stores 1 1/2 hours prior to launch time, at 4:30 PM," the memo confirms. "If the landlord questions your plan to close the store from 4:30 - 6:00 PM, explain that all AT&T and Apple stores nationwide intend to follow this plan."

The AT&T communication applies to all AT&T retail stores except those located within enclosed malls.

"Reminder: Inform landlords in all locations that your store hours will be extended until 10:00 PM on Friday, June 29th," the memo added.

Downloads: AT&T memo on "Crowd Control Devices"; AT&T memo on "Sample Dialog."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Huh, "stanchion." I learned a new word today.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Riot police! Bomb threats! Live at 5 news helicopters! What fun!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    lol. the dialog is like a bad commercial from the fifties. but it gets the point across...
  • Reply 4 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

What? You didn't know about the stanchions? Everyone knows about stanchions!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Well, I did too, I guess if you type as many posts as he has using a vocabulary without a word you forget what you don't use... Maybe he just forgot.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    This is why i have a stock pile of tear gas.

Everyone will be waiting in line all calm and ill be standing there in a gas mask. Then right before the store open i will "accidentally" let off some tear gas.

Actually, im waiting for the next gen.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Employees at the two AT&T stores in my area told me they'll be closing at 4 pm and reopening at 6 pm -- and that they'll have security guards there for the launch.

We should bring camcorders, take video of what goes on that night, then post it on YouTube and watch it later on our iPhones!

• Reply 8 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's going to be the most incredible product launch since the first Apple Stores opened. ...the anticipation is giving me stomach cramps...
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

Employees at the two AT&T stores in my area told me they'll be closing at 4 pm and reopening at 6 pm -- and that they'll have security guards there for the launch.

We should bring camcorders, take video of what goes on that night, then post it on YouTube and watch it later on our iPhones!

That would be totally awesome!!!1!!1
  • Reply 10 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What? You didn't know about the stanchions? Everyone knows about stanchions!

Before I saw the definition, I had actually pictured something like this:

• Reply 11 of 25
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    lol at the sample dialog. They don't have much confidence in their managers' communication skills.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

lol at the sample dialog. They don't have much confidence in their managers' communication skills.

I think they have even less confidence in their managers' landlords' communication skills.

"Unfortunately, we do not own any stanchions that you may be available to you."
  • Reply 13 of 25
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    all am really hoping to see is skype running on it, which will mean the end of the cellular age and the beginning of a new era $29 dollars for unlimited skype out for a year, and then $20 dollar a month for a unlimited data plan voip on a cell phone, already know of people doing it on smart phones
  • Reply 14 of 25
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Riot police! Bomb threats! Live at 5 news helicopters! What fun!

Actually, I bet someone does get

a) trampled by other customers

b) tasered by some dumbass cop/security guy

c) mugged/beaten/stabbed for their iPhone, or

d) all of the above (not the same guy though, lol. Now that would be unlucky).

It has all the earmarks of the Playstation 3 riots last Christmas, and that product wasn't even as hot as the iPhone. And its not like cellphone store managers know jack about crowd control. \

Someone's gonna screw up, and someone's gonna get hurt. And its gonna be all over the news.

• Reply 15 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Before I saw the definition, I had actually pictured something like this:

Ha ha ah ha I was going to post a reply about Tasers too!!!! w00t
  • Reply 16 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Actually, I bet someone does get

a) trampled by other customers

b) tasered by some dumbass cop/security guy

c) mugged/beaten/stabbed for their iPhone, or

d) all of the above (not the same guy though, lol. Now that would be unlucky).

It has all the earmarks of the Playstation 3 riots last Christmas, and that product wasn't even as hot as the iPhone. And its not like cellphone store managers know jack about crowd control. \

Someone's gonna screw up, and someone's gonna get hurt. And its gonna be all over the news.

You forgot the natural evolution of all this. By the 4th of July Apple will probably already have a dozen iPhone-related lawsuits.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

I like cheddar flavored stanchions.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Crowd control lol. I think they may be overestimating just how excited people might get over a cell phone.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

This is why i have a stock pile of tear gas.

Everyone will be waiting in line all calm and ill be standing there in a gas mask. Then right before the store open i will "accidentally" let off some tear gas.

Actually, im waiting for the next gen.

Nice...I'll bring the gun with rubber bullets!

Yah, I am waiting too...please post some sweet pictures and videos though so I can drool over it!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Am I the only one who thinks that graphic is freaking hilarious?