AT&T exec: iPhone data plans to be announced June 29th

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They've got that covered. It's called dropped call. I don't think anyone has ever actually completed a cell phone conversation of more than 5 minutes. Even Verizon to Verizon with maximum signal strength still drops regularly in my experience.

I've almost never had a dropped call, except when someone is calling me from Manhattan, and is moving around in a car.

I suppose you're joking, but still...
  • Reply 42 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

The whole idea of plans that aren't unlimited just blows my mind. Who wants to count the number of minutes they talk or the kilobytes that they transmit?

YUCK! ?Steve Jobs
  • Reply 43 of 86
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've almost never had a dropped call, except when someone is calling me from Manhattan, and is moving around in a car.

I seldom get dropped calls, except when driving over certain hills in SF.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think carriers are wary of "unlimited" talk time for fear that teens will just stay on the phone 24/7 whether they're talking or not.

I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I think everything you say is shit.

I think you're a liar. That's right, I think you're a filthy, lying, rat-bastard son-of-a-bitch.

And I'm gonna tell all of my friends not to listen to a word you say, you lousy, useless, moron.

Oh I hope you're happy! I hope you're happy, now that you've just propogated a vile lie in this good and wholesome forum where people are free to express their views without persecution. I hope you're happy because now everyone thinks teens will just stay on the phone 24/7 whether they're talking or not! And maybe you'll convince some, but I know... ohh I know that that's a flat out LIE!

j/k
  • Reply 45 of 86
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    An AT&T spokesman has denied that they will wait until the 29th.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...-earlier/10375

Go Banana, got prozac??
  • Reply 46 of 86
    It's not a matter of what your phone can do, it's what the capabilities of the other persons phone. Most people don't have phones that do "real" email. So unless you want to give them a call to tell them to check their email every time you send them a message, you'll need MMS. My phone does "REAL" email, but not many of my friends phones do, but pretty much all current gen phones do MMS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I've never sent an MMS?ever. Even though I get 200 of them a month.

MMS was invented for phones that can't do real email. iPhone can view and create emails with attached photos. I don't really see a need for MMS.

• Reply 47 of 86
    tcbritttcbritt Posts: 11member
    I think carriers are wary of "unlimited" talk time for fear that teens will just stay on the phone 24/7 whether they're talking or not.[/QUOTE]

also, limiting voice and data usage helps to increase battery life, think about it, if you are sweating how many minutes or how much data you have left for the month, you won't spend that extra time on the phone talking or on the net looking up some unimportant BS
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Seems like this phone is geared to the gadget freaks and iPod lovers. I'm not really going to be doing anything crucial to mankind on this phone. Most of it will be unimportant BS. I wonder how appleinsider will look on Safari for iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

I think carriers are wary of "unlimited" talk time for fear that teens will just stay on the phone 24/7 whether they're talking or not.

also, limiting voice and data usage helps to increase battery life, think about it, if you are sweating how many minutes or how much data you have left for the month, you won't spend that extra time on the phone talking or on the net looking up some unimportant BS[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 49 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah it was a joke, I forgot the smiley. But it is annoying. Both of our phones are brand new and high quality, but they still drop for no apparent reason. Unexpectedly I was getting perfect reception 30 feet below ground in the airport train but then dropped while sitting at the gate waiting area next to the window.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

Go Banana, got prozac??

Ohhh, ohh... think you're funny do ya?

Shut your mouth or I?ll shut it for ya. And if you think I?m kidding, just try me. Try me! Because I would love it!!

j/k
  • Reply 51 of 86
    tcbritttcbritt Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

Shut your mouth or I’ll shut it for ya. And if you think I’m kidding, just try me. Try me! Because I would love it!!

j/k

good one Costanza
  • Reply 52 of 86
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

An AT&T spokesman has denied that they will wait until the 29th.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...-earlier/10375

According to AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel, a report today that AT&T will wait until the day of iPhone’s launch to disclose rate plans for the device is inaccurate. “We will disclose before the 29th,” said Siegel, noting that customers will be able to show up at stores that day knowing how much they will be charged for both the Apple-developed hardware and AT&T’s cellular service plans. “It’s not going to be anything exotic,” Siegel told iLounge, confirming that there will be separate voice and data services components to its iPhone service plans, rather than the one-size-fits-all plans some had expected. As previously stated by both companies, and re-confirmed by Siegel, a two-year service commitment will still be required.
    Oh, why don't they just tell us already!
  • Reply 53 of 86
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Should certain locations sell out, the exec said sales people will take mail orders from customers, and the iPhones will be shipped in 3 to 5 days. To discourage scalpers, the carrier also plans to limit how many phones each customer can buy, but has not said how many that will be.

I guess this confirms that you don't have to sign up for a plan in order to buy the phone... So it should be a short time before the phone is unlocked and we can use it with other carriers...

I predict ebay in canada is going to be selling these like hot cakes in a few weeks...
  • Reply 54 of 86
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm betting that AT&T will charge $49 for unlimited internet/visual voicemail plus standard prices for however many minutes you want. It's simple and people will pay it.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Yes.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

I can personally vouch for Cingular's beefing up the EDGE network over the last few months. I regularly get 150-190 kbit/sec on my Treo now, whereas I hardly ever got more than 100k six months ago. This is in San Francisco (and on a recent trip to Oregon).

And for all of the Californians planning on driving up to Oregon, make sure you have the GoogleMap already on the phone before trying to drive Forest Service roads in the winter.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    How true.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

I've never sent an MMS?ever. Even though I get 200 of them a month.

MMS was invented for phones that can't do real email. iPhone can view and create emails with attached photos. I don't really see a need for MMS.

I have never sent an MMS either, but received several. The thing is, there are far more phones capable of sending MMS (vs. email with attachment).

On AT&T network, when you receive MMS and your phone (e.g., iPhone) is not capable of viewing it, it will arrive in the form of SMS with a URL where you can view the contents. Perhaps that's a workable solution for some, but I would like to be able to view it.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I think everything you say is shit.

I think you're a liar. That's right, I think you're a filthy, lying, rat-bastard son-of-a-bitch.

And I'm gonna tell all of my friends not to listen to a word you say, you lousy, useless, moron.

Oh I hope you're happy! I hope you're happy, now that you've just propogated a vile lie in this good and wholesome forum where people are free to express their views without persecution. I hope you're happy because now everyone thinks teens will just stay on the phone 24/7 whether they're talking or not! And maybe you'll convince some, but I know... ohh I know that that's a flat out LIE!

j/k

I like it better when you don't post.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i have a bad feeling apple is going to try to tie in some kind of itunes integration into the service contract, or worse yet, .mac

i'm sure that would be enough to make verizon say no thanks.