Updated Cinema Displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I think the thing that everyone is missing is that the LCD TV people are going to LED backlighting. So yeah, for the brief window of time when they first come out and are "exotic," they'll be expensive.

OTOH, with Samsung, Sharp, Sony and others stamping out 42" LCD panels like mad, one has to wonder exactly how long it will take for the LED prices to drop like a stone. Economies of scale, etc. I mean, backlighting LED needs should scale as a function of area, right? 42" panels have 96% more area than a 30" panel!

My guess? Apple will only need to overcharge for a 30" LCD for a short while. Either that, or be undercut by Samsung, Dell (shudder) and others.

LCD ≠ LED

LED Displays = LCD with LED backlights instead of CCFL.

I don't know of any HDTVs that are just affordable as others with LED backighting... they are, as was the case in my last post about large monitors, about $1500 or more higher than other HDTVs, and the picture on them aren't that much greater.

Again, in order for Apple to maximize their sales, they cannot afford to put the price of anything outrageously high, out of the reach of some consumers, and even professionals, regardless of product cost/profit margin. They must keep the price reasonable enough that professionals could afford it with hardly any trouble, and be in the price range of some consumers. That's why LED will not happen yet. I fully expect it eventually, in 2-3 years, but for now, they should stay mostly as is, other than perhaps making the 20" HD-resolution, and maybe slimming them a bit.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

No. Don't be thick.

Excellent point and well presented; I'm just glad I didn't have to say it myself!
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I want 2560x1600 in a monitor not larger than 24 inches. Anything about 18 to 24 inches would be fine. I have a 1600x1200 20 inch monitor now and I want substantially better resolution without substantially larger size.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I want 2560x1600 in a monitor not larger than 24 inches. Anything about 18 to 24 inches would be fine. I have a 1600x1200 20 inch monitor now and I want substantially better resolution without substantially larger size.

23- and 24-inch, probably. 22-inch, maybe. I have a 19" LCD that tops out at 1440x900. An average 20" gets up to 1680x1050. I can see them pushing that to 1920x1200, maybe 2048x1280. But 2560x1600? I would be very surprised.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

LCD ≠ LED

LED Displays = LCD with LED backlights instead of CCFL.

I don't know of any HDTVs that are just affordable as others with LED backighting... they are, as was the case in my last post about large monitors, about $1500 or more higher than other HDTVs, and the picture on them aren't that much greater.

I know that most LCD TVs use CCFL backlights, and I also know that the future is LED backlighting. What I was trying to say was that the TV market will drive down the cost of LEDs for backlighting purposes. It's just a matter of time, and not four years.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    ianjohianjoh Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Well, 2560x1600 on a 24" display is only 125 ppi - not much better resolution than what we have now! Certainly not enough for me to fork over big bucks for a new display and not high enough to make resolution independence work well.

You'd need a 20" monitor @ 2560x1600 to get 150 ppi, which would be good enough for me. But, is there a market for such "small" monitors?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianjoh View Post

Well, 2560x1600 on a 24" display is only 125 ppi - not much better resolution than what we have now! Certainly not enough for me to fork over big bucks for a new display and not high enough to make resolution independence work well.

You'd need a 20" monitor @ 2560x1600 to get 150 ppi, which would be good enough for me. But, is there a market for such "small" monitors?

I'd love to have a 24" monitor with 3840x2400, but I don't think the price will be attractive anytime soon.