How many use Safari? If not, what do you use?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Firefox. Tabs, feel, preferences, speed, spell-check, add-ons (adblock plus with element hiding helper is the best) are all good reasons. Actually whenever I am forced to use a different browser/computer I am amazed at all the ads I see because I just forget about them when they are gone. I love it. I do like some of the new tab options in Safari 3 like merge windows but I can live without it since I am so used to using Firefox that switching would be very hard (learning how to use stuff, etc.).

Edit: also I can use it on all my machines (Tiger, XP, and Ubuntu) so I can keep it unified and nice.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    can i uninstall the beta and get back to my safari 2.0?

also what is the difference between safari 3.0 beta?

thx
  • Reply 23 of 34
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I use Safari and have used solely Safari for a long time because it has the best UI and doesn't lack much functionality. RSS listing from a group of RSS bookmarks works well and I have no other RSS reader.

I got into Safari only after discovering the AcidSearch addon; lack of customized searches were a deal breaker for me.

Safari does crash on me uncomfortably often. I'd like whitelisting for cookies. I might at some point be interested in gestures and other stuff, too.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    I actually just switched to Safari from using Firefox. I love Firefox, I loved the plug-ins, how it managed tabs (links that open in new windows are forced into a new tab), search keywords, and that holding down the primary click acted as a secondary click, very useful because I still use my one button mouse.

But it started to get really slow and after a while I would have to restart it just so it wouldn't totally chug. While Safari is lacking a lot of features I liked in Firefox it just feels more peppy, and for now I am preferring it. Though I have switched before so it is probably just a matter of time before I am back with Firefox.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I don't use it, so i have no complains about it.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    halijanhalijan Posts: 24member
    i use safari but im not all that happy with the beta, but i guess i cant complain because they call it beta for a reason. Im finding that i cant access a lot of forums and different sites come up with compatability issues that didnt exist in v2
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halijan View Post

i use safari but im not all that happy with the beta, but i guess i cant complain because they call it beta for a reason. Im finding that i cant access a lot of forums and different sites come up with compatability issues that didnt exist in v2

my same problem, wish I could get the 2.0 back
  • Reply 28 of 34
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

my same problem, wish I could get the 2.0 back

Have you upgraded to 3.0.2 yet? That might help. If not, try Camino 1.5 or the latest Firefox. I use Safari sometimes, but still prefer Firefox.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Safari is the my main, Firefox as my alternative. Sometimes things just dont load right in Safari so I am forced to use Firefox. Not sure why, but firefox is very slow on my machine and I prefer the speed to the rare none page conversion.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    I prefer Safari and have only tried different browsers to see how they function. Opera 9 is cool but a little slow on some sites. Firefox is good but I haven't noticed any difference in speed or performance over Safari.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Snoop,

Why do you prefer FF over camino?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Have you upgraded to 3.0.2 yet? That might help. If not, try Camino 1.5 or the latest Firefox. I use Safari sometimes, but still prefer Firefox.

yeah it is 3.0.2 beta off of apple's site
  • Reply 33 of 34
    I only use Camino. I learned a long time ago not to play with Safari. Yeah, some of the features are nice, but the rendering sux, and I know all the Camino shortcuts so...Camino wins lol
  • Reply 34 of 34
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Snoop,

Why do you prefer FF over camino?

Maybe this is a silly reason, but Firefox is the only browser that properly displays a certain page on the Netflix website. When adding a movie to my queue, other browsers go to a new page showing other recommended movies. In Firefox, it is not a new page, but shows up as a semitransparent window over the existing page. I simply close the window when I'm done looking and Firefox is still on the same page it was.

As I said, it's silly, but I think it looks cool.