Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Sometimes when you reply to someone, it places the post above the post that you replied to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

ARRRRGGHHH, What the hell is with the time stamps being all screwed UP? EVery time I quick reply I get told that I just posted less than ten seconds ago.

• Reply 42 of 94
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

can someone help me get my head around this, currently itunes will not let you sync two ipods to the same itunes library, are we going to be able to sync the same library to both an ipod and an iphone?

I don't know why you can't do this. I can (although only one can hold the whole library, but I sync a couple of playlists and podcasts to my nano). Even with both plugged in at the same time.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

For other providers to get in on the action, Apple would have to revise the activation process amongst other things. It is all programmed in the software.

Yeah, I'm sure that for the activation process it will only work with Cingular since, as I mentioned, the condition of buying an iPhone is that you sign up for a contract with them.

However, after you've activated the phone (and thus signed the contract), say you want to pay the fee and break the contract? That's certainly an option you have as a paying customer. So you call Cingular and do it.

Now, you have your activated and working iPhone, but you've cancelled your service agreement (legally). I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to switch your phone to another service provider (even if it means needing to unlock it). That should be well within your consumer rights, and it shouldn't hinder all the other things you do with the iPhone at all.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Kinda makes you wonder what those slackers who work at the cell stores are actually doing for the 30 minutes they sit at the computer without addressing you as they activate your phone, doesn't it?

Seriously though, while this is great news for initial sales per hour, getting a customer out of your store as quickly as possible isn't generally the goal in retail....
  • Reply 45 of 94
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to switch your phone to another service provider (even if it means needing to unlock it). That should be well within your consumer rights.

Probably the only person that is going to go along with your thinking is a lawyer.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Kinda makes you wonder what those slackers who work at the cell stores are actually doing for the 30 minutes they sit at the computer without addressing you as they activate your phone, doesn't it?

Seriously though, while this is great news for initial sales per hour, getting a customer out of your store as quickly as possible isn't generally the goal in retail....

Unless the line is so long you have to implement 'crowd control' measures. If everyone is lined up for an iPhone, isn't knowing you're pulling 5-600 per person enough to make everyone move that line as fast as possible? I couldn't imagine anyone not buying an iPhone sticking around in a mobbed ATT store anyway as they aren't going to get great service.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Probably the only person that is going to go along with your thinking is your lawyer.

Either him or one of the computer hardware engineers I know...
  • Reply 48 of 94
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Unless the line is so long you have to implement 'crowd control' measures. If everyone is lined up for an iPhone, isn't knowing you're pulling 5-600 per person enough to make everyone move that line as fast as possible? I couldn't imagine anyone not buying an iPhone sticking around in a mobbed ATT store anyway as they aren't going to get great service.

True, of course, but still - accessories are hugely profitable. This won't help those sales - sure most of the sales will happen eventually, but to my thinking, there's nothing like spending $600 on a phone to make a $150 headset look like an insignificant extra expense. After a good night's sleep that $150 headset might start looking pricey next to the $50 one
  • Reply 49 of 94
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure that for the activation process it will only work with Cingular since, as I mentioned, the condition of buying an iPhone is that you sign up for a contract with them.

However, after you've activated the phone (and thus signed the contract), say you want to pay the fee and break the contract? That's certainly an option you have as a paying customer. So you call Cingular and do it.

Now, you have your activated and working iPhone, but you've cancelled your service agreement (legally). I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to switch your phone to another service provider (even if it means needing to unlock it). That should be well within your consumer rights, and it shouldn't hinder all the other things you do with the iPhone at all.

In the video, it shows iTunes displaying your phone number. I would assume, since you can't exactly.. use that number with a different carrier, that they've somehow bound the number to the activated phone. That way, when you stick a different SIM card in the phone, it's gonna say "Hey dude.. thats the wrong SIM card. Nice try, but we thought different.  AT&T ONLY, BIOTCH."

...or some similar message.

I would assume it writes it to the phone's OS somehow.

Just my guess. If I'm wrong... congrats, T-Mobile customers.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

Hey dude.. thats the wrong SIM card. Nice try, but we thought different.  AT&T ONLY, BIOTCH.

...or some similar message.

No, I'm sure that'll be the exact message
  • Reply 51 of 94
    Quote:

Just to be sure, I would bet the farm that there is no SIM card for the iPhone. It doesn't use one period.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:

Just to be sure, I would bet the farm that there is no SIM card for the iPhone. It doesn't have a slot for one. It doesn't use one period.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Apparently you CAN do it via iTunes -- transfer your number. Now that is pretty cool:

Excellent example of why I love Apple!
  • Reply 54 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Just to be sure, I would bet the farm that there is no SIM card for the iPhone. It doesn't have a slot for one. It doesn't use one period.

Sure it does. They could get away with that in the US but going global would require one. Their is a slot in the top for the SIM.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

Umm can I have your farm then please? The iPhone DOES have a SIM slot.

Watch the keynote again!

• Reply 56 of 94
    Wow, that is crap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Have you guys seen this:

Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval.

It's on the AT&T rate plans webpage:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

• Reply 57 of 94
    tcbritttcbritt Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

I don't know why you can't do this. I can (although only one can hold the whole library, but I sync a couple of playlists and podcasts to my nano). Even with both plugged in at the same time.

even songs bought from the itunes music store? i was thinking that this was not permitted on DRMed media, but i hopefully im wrong
  • Reply 58 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thadgarrison View Post

Wow, that is crap.

You are interpreting the quote wrongly.

"Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval."

It is meant to be read, "Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features and the iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval."
  • Reply 59 of 94
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Sprint and Verizon already let people activate their phones online "in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated". With Verizon, people can either go to their web site on your computer, or dial *228 on the phone and follow the instructions "in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated". What does using a phone have to do with an iTunes store account?
  • Reply 60 of 94
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

You are interpreting the quote wrongly.

"Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval."

It is meant to be read, "Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features and the iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval."

Actually I think you're interpreting his post quite wrongly. He's amazed, as am I, that you need to activate the iPhone via AT&T in order to even just use it as an iPod.