More iPhone reviews: Newsweek and USA Today

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Phones "tend to"? What does that even mean? Are phones some uncontrollable random wild organism that just crop up with certain feature sets?

Ok, I've never seen a phone that works any other way. That was my of saying that while it's possible, I've never heard of it.

Quote:

Phones do whatever the designers program them to do. How difficult would it be to program a phones software to only sync the contacts and calendars via bluetooth, and sync other things when plugged in?

Ditto for this.

Find a phone that does it any other way. I don't know of one.

Quote:

Again, if you're only syncing contacts and calendars it would only take a few seconds, and if everything is already up to date, even less time- it just has to connect and confirm that everything is the same. You're acting like this is some radical new feature- it's been around for a while now, and having used it, I find it very convenient.

Same response. You haven't said anything new.

Quote:

Because, if you have a dock that plugs into the wall and for example a stereo system, then you would want to come home and plug directly into that, and not worry about random cables all over your desk to plug devices into. Plug into your computer here, hit sync, monitor progress, unplug when done, then move it to your dock so you can listen to something you've been waiting to listen to..... Is there no advantage in not having to "hit the sync button"? In having it sync new calendar appointments automatically so that you are always up to date without having to consciously update it?

One cable. One dock.

So I guess you would want "random cables" in your living room with your A/V system, but not at your computer, which is generally more out of sight.

You sync and charge from the dock. You don't know that?

As I said, I don't want it syncing every time I come in range. And what happens if I walk out of range when it's syncing? I get a sync failure, from which you have to recover, by taking the phone out of wherever you carry it, and push a couple of buttons. Then you have to sync all over again.

Forget it. It's silly.

Quote:

This one's intriguing: You can disconnect the iPhone during syncing and reconnect it and it continues without missing a beat. In fact there is no "Do Not Disconnect" message like on iPods. Is this ZFS in action??

I've heard that one before. Good luck.

Quote:

The keyboard only rotates with the screen in the web browser. Huh? This is clearly just an oversight, right? Software version 1.1, anyone?

Another case of Apple giving us what they think we need most.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

The keyboard only rotates with the screen in the web browser. Huh? This is clearly just an oversight, right? Software version 1.1, anyone?

LOL. Yep, people are already hoping for a landscape virtual keyboard that's always available in any app, 'cuz the keys would be a lot easier to hit, and you wouldn't be accidentally hitting multiple keys as much:

Main complaint against it is that it would 'take up the whole screen', but it really doesn't have to. Vertical space isn't the prob... it's horizontal. If you look at the keys on the current virtual keyboard, they're a lot skinnier than they are tall, and are spaced perhaps more closely together than what'd be optimal for a touchscreen:

The image above is about 1:1 scale (at least on my laptop)... put your fingers up to the image. That's about how big the portrait v-board really is. Notice how your fingers are about 3 keys wide? \ Doesn't take a genius to figure out that a landscape v-board could help with both the 'skinny keys' and key spacing issues.

But hey, its software, Apple's forte. Hopefully they won't be too stubborn about it if a lot of people request this to be available for any app.

Ps- This is obviously optional, just a second v-board view... but I'm waiting for the first response to be "Nooo, I like the portrait v-board, please don't take it away!!!"

• Reply 43 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

LOL. Yep, people are already hoping for a landscape virtual keyboard that's always available in any app, 'cuz the keys would be a lot easier to hit, and you wouldn't be accidentally hitting multiple keys as much:

Main complaint against it is that it would 'take up the whole screen', but it really doesn't have to. Vertical space isn't the prob... it's horizontal. If you look at the keys on the current virtual keyboard, they're a lot skinnier than they are tall, and are spaced perhaps more closely together than what'd be optimal for a touchscreen:

The image above is about 1:1 scale (at least on my laptop)... put your fingers up to the image. That's about how big the portrait v-board really is. Notice how your fingers are about 3 keys wide? \ Doesn't take a genius to figure out that a landscape v-board could help with both the 'skinny keys' and key spacing issues.

But hey, its software, Apple's forte. Hopefully they won't be too stubborn about it if a lot of people request this to be available for any app.

Ps- This is obviously optional, just a second v-board view... but I'm waiting for the first response to be "Nooo, I like the portrait v-board, please don't take it away!!!"

Even the way it is spaced is fine in the horiz mode. What is needed though is an easy way to get to secondary characters, with a button that would allow you to scroll through keyboards with them. There should also be a shift for other, often used characters.

I would imagine that accented characters will come when the phones are issued for those areas that need them.

I would then expect to see an update for current models that would include the ability to switch between those keyboards.

I'm also hoping that Apple will use the upgradability to address users concerns about things such as this on a regular (every few months) basis.

After all, mail, contacts, SMS, and memo's really need the horiz keyboard more than Safari does.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    billiambilliam Posts: 2member
    Animal Internet has the first review of the iPhone written by a deer.

REVIEW: Apple's iPhone

by Donald Whitetail (deer)

Excerpt:

"By replacing the copious buttons found on other cell phones with a large touch screen, Apple has created a device that can be operated by the entire land-dwelling animal kingdom. Apple has once again created something "for the rest of us."