iPhone and iPod accessories; Pre-paid iPhone; RSS reader

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

That's right. Apple as it turns out is trying to be considerate of all those educated, albeit very poor fanatics of iPhone. Let all the others with the good credit (and the debts) pay up. Don't see anything wrong with that .

In any case, who's more worthy, someone who's net worth is negative but has a high credit score or someone with no credit history but with loads of cash?

I have to assume you guys are joking. Otherwise it would seem that you have no idea of what having a good credit rating means.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course it's the same OS. Powermac's and Intel based machines use the same OS as well. However, programs don't work on the cpu they weren't designed for.

The only reason PPC programs work on Intel Macs, and many of them don't, and the others run at 50% speed, at best, is because of Rosetta.

This means that even with the same OS, the programs won't run. At the very least, they would need a compile for the new cpu.

But, for most programs, that won't do at all. Almost the entire interface will have to be rewritten from scratch. Chances are that much of the rest would have to be rewritten, as the phyical part of the device is so different as well. Most programs are also written for what are now far more powerful machines than the iPhone is, that has to be taken into account as well.

No, not an easy job as well.

Leaving the OSX analogy behind for a while, I want to make sure you understand that I am already fully aware of the distinction beween "being the same OS" and "being binary compatible".

NetBSD is NetBSD is NetBSD, no matter if it's running on an i386, a PowerPC, an ARM, a 68K, a MIPS, or whatever else, even though binaries compiled for one CPU will not run directly on any other.

And FreeBSD is NOT Linux, even though a binary compatibility layer is optionally available to run binaries compiled for one on the other.

________

I assure you, I have an intimately clear understanding of the inner workings of computer architectures. I program computer systems directly at the bit-bashing level full-time.

But so far, the iPhone is still just a black box as far as anybody outside of Apple is concerned. Which makes the implication that it's running OSX, for the moment, irrelevant.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    I suspect two reasons for ATT's prepaid option for iPhone buyers (if they will actually offer it).

1. They are afraid they wouldn't sell as many iphones as they expected because of its price and costly two-year commitment, so a prepaid option would definitely increase iphone sales. Contract or not, you won't be able to use the iphone with any other carrier in the U.S. anyway. So you'll keep paying ATT for years to come.

2. Another reason could be that later this year iphone will go on sale in Europe, where it will most likely not be tied to one single carrier but work with many international carriers. That's how cellphones work in Europe anyhow. It's a prepaid card world out there. This means we could buy our iphone in Europe later and be able to use it in the U.S. as well, but with any carrier, say T-Mobile.

So, that's why I think ATT is being flexible.

Technology has progressed far, and there are more choices out there. That's why wireless providers don't have such a stranglehold on customers anymore.

What does everyone think?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Leaving the OSX analogy behind for a while, I want to make sure you understand that I am already fully aware of the distinction beween "being the same OS" and "being binary compatible".

NetBSD is NetBSD is NetBSD, no matter if it's running on an i386, a PowerPC, an ARM, a 68K, a MIPS, or whatever else, even though binaries compiled for one CPU will not run directly on any other.

And FreeBSD is NOT Linux, even though a binary compatibility layer is optionally available to run binaries compiled for one on the other.

Who told you that FreeBSD is Linux?

Quote:

I assure you, I have an intimately clear understanding of the inner workings of computer architectures. I program computer systems directly at the bit-bashing level full-time.

But so far, the iPhone is still just a black box as far as anybody outside of Apple is concerned. Which makes the implication that it's running OSX, for the moment, irrelevant.

This is essentially what I've said.

Even if Apple doesn't allow outside development, which would be a pity, the fact that a "real" OS is at the controls does matter though. These partial OSes that are now being used for phones, and that includes the very stripped down Linux distro's, don't allow enough support for what we're seeing with Safari, for example. And the phones themselves aren't upgradable as far as the OS is concerned. It isn't designed for that.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    riverskyriversky Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

That's right. Apple as it turns out is trying to be considerate of all those educated, albeit very poor fanatics of iPhone. Let all the others with the good credit (and the debts) pay up. Don't see anything wrong with that .

In any case, who's more worthy, someone who's net worth is negative but has a high credit score or someone with no credit history but with loads of cash?

Very educated and very poor is an oxymoron in America. The richest place on Earth. Unless it is a choice which is just lazy.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    have you ever heard about this "human digital assistant" ?

found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9492814@N06/662806438/