BMW iPhone integration; Woz in line; Fox News mic jacking

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
BMW plans to be the first automaker to offer a custom iPhone integrated solution within its automobiles. Meanwhile, Woz politely declines Steve Jobs' offer for an iPhone and is instead waiting amongst the masses. And, uh oh -- we have our first TV reporter mic jacking of the afternoon out in New York.

BMW to introduce iPhone connectivity

This afternoon, BMW will be the first automaker to announce a fully integrated system for Apple's brand-new iPhone.

Initially, the German automaker will only offer integration for U.S. models, but with international sales of the iPhone a given, BMW is likely to extend the technology across to other markets.

Woz: 'No thanks, Steve. I'll wait like everyone else.'

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak doesn't have to wait in line for one of the company's first mobile handsets, but he's doing so anyway out in San Jose. Althogh Woz is due to receive a complimentary iPhone from Steve Jobs on Saturday, he has a few other reasons to stay the wait.

Woz wants one immediately -- plus some for his three children -- and is standing in an hours-long line for the first time since 1972, when he coveted Rolling Stones concert tickets.

He and his friends are handing out T-shirts that read, "The Line Begins Here." Woz is also reported to have brought along his Segway Human Transporter for bathroom runs.

Fox News reporter gets mic jacked in NY

Back in New York, things have got a little rowdy. Watch as a crazed iPhone fan blows up an interview between Fox News reporter Laura Ingle and Newsweek's Steve Levy when he abruptly jumps in and grabs the mic. Mid-day photos from the Apple's Fifth Ave. store also follow:

Photos compliments of www.cheechandchong.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Who doesn't love the Woz! I would have paid to have been there for Fox News getting jacked as they deserve it!
  • Reply 2 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not really clear if the guy meant to steal the iPhone instead, or if he didn't like FoxNews?
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

WTF???

Is everyone out at Apple stores right now, place seems kind of dead... and high.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Wow. What a fatfest. Blimps in line, blimps using Segways to hit the can. Maybe Apple should mix in a few treadmills into the line.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, the iPhone was 2 inches away. That's what he was going for.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I'm glad the lady reporter is ok, but overall... F*** Fox 'News':

• Reply 7 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Woz could have received an iPhone the day after the launch while so many others recieved them weeks ago. IMO, Jobs was being a dick to Woz so Woz said "screw up, I'll wait in line."
  • Reply 8 of 41
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

Wow. What a fatfest. Blimps in line, blimps using Segways to hit the can. Maybe Apple should mix in a few treadmills into the line.

Mr. Prizebook.com in one of the pics looks like he could hit the treadmill too. Maybe he should lay off the iDoughnuts!!
  • Reply 9 of 41
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    I dunno. I could do a lot more damage with a Fox News microphone than an iPhone, at least in the short term. And the contract would be shorter.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

...but overall... F*** Fox 'News':

DITTO!
  • Reply 11 of 41
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    he wasn't going for the ipod because you can cleary hear him say "give me that f*kin mic"

but for wha? was he the guy that made the comment about buying the iphone for a 1000 bucks? maybe he was pissy that she looked at him and made a snickery reply "we'll prob need security"
  • Reply 12 of 41
    I'm not sure Woz will have to pay for his anyway... I've heard that he pops into the stores periodically but that Steve Jobs has instructed employees that even if Woz insists, he is not to be charged for any purchases.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

I'm not sure Woz will have to pay for his anyway... I've heard that he pops into the stores periodically but that Steve Jobs has instructed employees that even if Woz insists, he is not to be charged for any purchases.

Woz is the coolest walking advertisement for Apple throughout all Apple's history. I do think that Woz should have had an iPhone a month ago. Steve is just jealous that Woz is super cool!
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Woz could have received an iPhone the day after the launch while so many others recieved them weeks ago. IMO, Jobs was being a dick to Woz so Woz said "screw it, I'll wait in line."

Woz and Jobs have been on the outs for awhile though.

Apparently it came out, years after the fact, that when Woz and Jobs were starving up-and-comers, Jobs screwed Woz out of some money. Woz apparently was pretty irate, not over the money but over the principle of the thing, and retold the story to an interviewer or someone. Which infuriated Jobs apparently, who refused to be photographed on a Macworld stage with Woz in late '90s.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but given their respective personalities (Woz = idealist, Jobs = salesman/relentless corporate competitor), I'd imagine Jobs was likely morally in the wrong.

• Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Apparently it came out, years after the fact, that when Woz and Jobs were starving up-and-comers, Jobs screwed Woz out of some money. Woz apparently was pretty irate, not over the money but over the principle of the thing, and retold the story to an interviewer or someone. Which infuriated Jobs apparently, who refused to be photographed on a Macworld stage with Woz in late '90s.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but given their respective personalities (Woz = idealist, Jobs = salesman/relentless corporate competitor), I'd imagine Jobs was likely morally in the wrong.

I completely agree! If I had a choice of having Woz or Steve as a neighbor I'd choose Woz in a heartbeat. Steve would always throwing crap into my yard, cutting me off at the street, and never changing his wardrobe. Woz would be over barbecues, and the like?always welcomed!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

I think this issue came out when "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was released. Jobs got paid $5,000 selling the game Breakout to Atari and told Woz he got nothing. I remember watching an interview where Woz was talking about this and the fact he was upset because Jobs lied to him.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Surprised now one has made a comment about iPhone integration in the new BMW's.

I was doing my daily reading of www.e46fanatics.com when I came across the new coupe that will be released in the U.S. The 135i looks sweet and will have both iPod and iPhone integration. Maybe BMW will let them work on iDrive!
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I completely agree! If I had a choice of having Woz or Steve as a neighbor I'd choose Woz in a heartbeat. Steve would always throwing crap into my yard, cutting me off at the street, and never changing his wardrobe. Woz would be over barbecues, and the like—always welcomed!

Yeah, definitely. But to be fair, different personalities are good at different things.

Woz is the guy you'd want to hang out with, hands-down. But Jobs is prolly the only person on the planet who could've saved Apple... and he did. Credit where credit is due. Sometimes 'it takes an a-hole'.

And even Jobs at his most obnoxious is a waaay better than that mouth-breather Ballmer.

• Reply 19 of 41
    icareicare Posts: 4member
    He was obvously going for the iPhone. The iPhone could fetch alot of money before they go on sale. He was not trying to silence the media like new reporters said.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    I just drove by--at 2pm Central time, there were about 20 people lined up outside the at&t store in Evanston, Illinois (the home of Northwestern University, just across the border from Chicago).

My first thought was, "Hmm, isn't the store surely gonna have 20 iPhones?"

(I love the iPhone--I just hate Crapular/Stinkular/SBC/"The New at&t" )