Apple posts iPhone User Guide

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Those without the iPhone still have the opportunity to learn every last detail of the device's functions and support through Apple's official documentation.

The complete, 118-page user manual for the iPhone is now available online as a PDF.

The guide touches on the full interface for each of the bundled programs, typical maintenance and care, and extra tips such as using the iPhone's accessibility options. No new information is listed in the document.

In addition to the primary manual, Apple has also issued its first five technical notes for those experiencing problems with the device. The posting includes three troubleshooting notes for those unable to use POP3 e-mail, a failure to recognize the device by iTunes or Mac OS X, and those experiencing lockups or unresponsiveness.

Informational notes are also available for those setting up Internet access through EDGE or Wi-Fi, and those interested in the basis of SMS messages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    It should be noted that this User Guide is not packaged with the iPhone an appears to only be available online.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Informational notes are also available for those setting up Internet access through EDGE or Wi-Fi, and those interested in the basis of SMS messages.

Possible speed boost?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...speeds-a-boost
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I would love to confirm or deny that claim but my iPhone STILL has not been activated despite 3 customer service agents now telling me that it is in the process of being activated. I no longer believe them and will continue to call back. Apparently I am not the only one experiencing this problem. The device is unusable until activation is completed. Needless to say, I'm not pleased with AT&T at the moment. While completely understandable that they might experience problems on launch day, it should be noted that their computers were not working at the AT&T store I bought the device from either. I have already been given 2 pieces of false information from tech support (which I quickly had to correct the customer service rep on). All in all, this has not been a smooth process. I bought the phone 3 hours an 44 minutes ago and I still can only make emergency calls with it an lookup my ICCID and IMEI numbers (which you'll need in the customer service calls should you experience my difficulties. Ugh
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bschooley View Post

I would love to confirm or deny that claim but my iPhone STILL has not been activated despite 3 customer service agents now telling me that it is in the process of being activated. I no longer believe them and will continue to call back.

Same here. I've been waiting over two hours myself. Can't blame AT&T. How could they have known there would be a surge of activations June 29? You'd have to be psychic. Idiots.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    You Can Play Music Through The Built-in Speakerphone!!

• Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giantLemon View Post

Same here. I've been waiting over two hours myself. Can't blame AT&T. How could they have known there would be a surge of activations June 29? You'd have to be psychic. Idiots.

There is one common thread to all of the problems. Verizon.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    transferring service from verizon... wow this is a frustrating wait
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Yeah well, I called Verizon and they dont even have a transfer request. I have since had the # transfer cancelled and am attempting to obtain a new AT&T number but the activation department cannot cancel the account.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bschooley View Post

Yeah well, I called Verizon and they dont even have a transfer request. I have since had the # transfer cancelled and am attempting to obtain a new AT&T number but the activation department cannot cancel the account.

sore losers.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Wow! My first AI post on an iPhone. This device is simply amazing. I am floored by its brilliance and ease of use.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWAL View Post

transferring service from verizon... wow this is a frustrating wait

Indeed.

Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow! My first AI post on an iPhone. This device is simply amazing. I am floored by its brilliance and ease of use.

Droooooool...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    We're sorry. The phone number you entered is not eligible to be transferred.

Please re-connect to iTunes and don't select to transfer your existing number to complete your iPhone activation.

??????????????????????????????? : devil:
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Droooooool...

My 8-year old has fully figured it out in less than a couple of hours -- that's how simple it is to use. My wife (who is not a fan of tech) wants one now. A neighbor walked in when I was using it, and she wants one. Two of my colleagues who have seen it want it. More importantly, their teenage kids do.

The first thing that hits you is, how simply gorgeous and elegant-looking it is. And compact.

Guys/gals, this is going to be big.

It has a couple of annoying features (I am to busy playing with to post much more), but Walt Mossberg's "finding the comma button" is not one of them. Also, it is too bad that landscape orientation in the keyboard -- which is built-in, and automatically switches over if in that mode, for certain functions such as typing the search field, or name/password field on a web page -- has not been put in as a more generic feature for, e.g., emails.

Lots to say... but so little time -- it's jut me and my iPhone this weekend!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My 8-year old has fully figured it out in less than a couple of hours -- that's how simple it is to use. My wife (who is not a fan of tech) wants one now. A neighbor walked in when I was using it, and she wants one. Two of my colleagues who have seen it want it. More importantly, their teenage kids do.

The first thing that hits you is, how simply gorgeous and elegant-looking it is. And compact.

Guys/gals, this is going to be big.

It has a couple of annoying features (I am to busy playing with to post much more), but Walt Mossberg's "finding the comma button" is not one of them. Also, it is too bad that landscape orientation in the keyboard -- which is built-in, and automatically switches over if in that mode, for certain functions such as typing the search field, or name/password field on a web page -- has not been put in as a more generic feature for, e.g., emails.

Lots to say... but so little time -- it's jut me and my iPhone this weekend!

Oh, you tease! Post pix or additional observations as soon as you can... The insanity is over... the revolution has begun.