Time Machine Questions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I wonder how Time Machine will handle secure delete. If there's a file I'm using and I need to delete that file and it's contents using the secure delete feature called "Secure Empty Trash", will Time Machine search through all of the backups and secure delete all of them? If so, would that be a long process?

Excellent question. I'm not sure, though I know you can encrypt the backups, lest your backup drive falls into enemy hands.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post

lest your backup drive falls into enemy hands.

• Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

Heheh. It actually happened to a company I worked for. One Monday morning (at about 4 or 5am we thought) there was a break-in and we realised very quickly the backup drive was gone. Fortunately the cops worked out who was responsible (well known local burglars) and retrieved the drive intact.

the incident gave rise to certain policy changes regarding the security of information, and we started encrypting all backups.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Heheh. It actually happened to a company I worked for. One Monday morning (at about 4 or 5am we thought) there was a break-in and we realised very quickly the backup drive was gone. Fortunately the cops worked out who was responsible (well known local burglars) and retrieved the drive intact.

the incident gave rise to certain policy changes regarding the security of information, and we started encrypting all backups.

Not to mention, just how many laptops and backup drives have been reported in the media that were stolen from major corporations or agencies only to discover than nothing was encrypted and that hundreds of thousands of people's personal information was compromised? This is something I'm sure Apple will address, but we haven't been told much about it. I'm sure we'll learn more about it as October approaches.

Encryption is half the battle (provided it's not easily broken with hacker apps) and secure deletion of files off of the Time Machine backups when needed is the second half.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I expect it will be AES128 encryption, same as Disk Images and FileVault. Not been broken yet as far as I know.

Speaking of VileFault... erm I mean FileVault, does anyone know if it's been modified in Leopard? I used it once under Tiger and it was a DISASTER.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

I expect it will be AES128 encryption, same as Disk Images and FileVault. Not been broken yet as far as I know.

Speaking of VileFault... erm I mean FileVault, does anyone know if it's been modified in Leopard? I used it once under Tiger and it was a DISASTER.

I used it once under Tiger as well and it messed everything up. I'm not sure if everything is fixed now or not. Any FileVault users out there? As for the Leopard version, it's not even done yet so I doubt anyone knows what it'll truly be like. Those that have access to the Leopard builds might be able to tell us all more.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

i wondered if by the enemy you meant the taliban or something!