iPhone supply running low with AT&T, some Apple Stores

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 79
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Initial sales will be off the chart. I suspect a lot of buyers are profiteers and are listing them for sale on ebay. Sales one month from now will tell you if the iPhone is going to be next big thing.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Initial sales will be off the chart. I suspect a lot of buyers are profiteers and are listing them for sale on ebay. Sales one month from now will tell you if the iPhone is going to be next big thing.



    There are already OVER 14,000 listings for iPhones on ebay? man that didn't take long.



    I hope for someones sake, they sell them. I mean $1200.00, come on. Most people will wait inline for 10 - 30 minutes to purchase one for a whole hell of a lot less then that (time based on purchasing any time from Monday forward)



    Oh, many sales end within the next few hours - and NO bites yet;



    Skip
  • Reply 23 of 79
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    signed up yesterday via itunes and requested port of my sprint number. it said it would take 6 hours. now, 12 hours later, the switch is still not completed. no email saying how long it will take, in fact NO EMAIL FROM ATT as to my service plan, or welcome msg, at all! only a brief msg saying they are wokring on my account. no contact phone number, nothing. now i know why i left that sorry outfit a few years back. if i am not VERY HAPPY within the next 30 days back it all goes.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    As of Saturday night 8pm.... a salesperson at Apple Store in Troy, MI told me their supply of iPhones was getting extremely low.... but still had both models.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    What kind of idiot parent lets their 8 or 12 year old get a $600 phone? Unbelievable. Some parents spoil their kids to the point of making them unbearable to deal with.



    i agree. its not really the kids that are to blame, its the parents! unfortunately its my generation that to a large part has failed miserably in the parenting dept. case in point: paris hiton's parents. these ueber=losers are more star struck than their daughters. paris in jail? so what, lets go to some red carpt event! she wants to (and did) drop out of high school? thats ok, honey! britney, lindsay, etc etc.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    dettdett Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Numbr 250 after 45 minutes you say. Did you see many people buying 2 iPhones? Did tehy mention any supply constraints of the 4 or 8GB models?



    I'm trying to figure out how many iPhones the Apple stores received to then determine how many have been sold. From the comments, articles and blogs I've read it appears that there was at least 400 or 500 units per store.



    I think the 25 or so per AT&T store sounds about right but I can't figure out the Apple Store figures. If I were in the country I'd call a couple Apple Stores and inquire.



    I'm not sure on the 25 per AT&T store. I'm in Tallahassee, which isn't exactly a huge city, and there are only three AT&T stores here. There were about 50 people at the one where I waited, and everyone ended up with a phone, and the store still had stock.



    Then again, there's no Apple store in Tallahassee, so the AT&T stores had to get all the inventory for the city.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post


    There are already OVER 14,000 listings for iPhones on ebay… man that didn't take long.



    I hope for someones sake, they sell them. I mean $1200.00, come on. Most people will wait inline for 10 - 30 minutes to purchase one for a whole hell of a lot less then that (time based on purchasing any time from Monday forward)



    Oh, many sales end within the next few hours - and NO bites yet;



    Skip



    Almost no one is bidding or buying iPhones on ebay. I've got a custom search set up to flag sales. There may be a few dummies or Nigerian scammers doing so, but nothing is happening iPhone-wise on eBay except for eBay getting all those listing fees. If there are long shipment delays by Apple into normal channels, there may be a "Nintendo Wii" effect in coming months. New Wiis now sell on ebay at almost 1 every 2 minutes during major ebay traffic hours with a premium range of about $50-$100 on a $250 retail item,i.e. 20-40%. Two weeks ago, I sold 4 Wiis at $335 each with a listing that lasted about 30 hours. The sale of this device has reached epidemic proportions in the US. If the iPhone becomes similiar to the Wii, high demand & low supply, then it will sell at a premium on ebay.



    Edit--I just checked. About 500 new Wiis were sold yesterday on eBay in the price range $299-$350.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    eruithildureruithildur Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post


    Almost no one is bidding or buying iPhones on ebay. I've got a custom search set up to flag sales. There may be a few dummies or Nigerian scammers doing so, but nothing is happening iPhone-wise on eBay except for eBay getting all those listing fees. If there are long shipment delays by Apple into normal channels, there may be a "Nintendo Wii" effect in coming months. New Wiis now sell on ebay at almost 1 every 2 minutes during major ebay traffic hours with a premium range of about $50-$100 on a $250 retail item,i.e. 20-40%. Two weeks ago, I sold 4 Wiis at $335 each with a listing that lasted about 30 hours. The sale of this device has reached epidemic proportions in the US. If the iPhone becomes similiar to the Wii, high demand & low supply, then it will sell at a premium on ebay.



    Edit--I just checked. About 500 new Wiis were sold yesterday on eBay in the price range $299-$350.



    Although it creates hype, that is all it would do for Apple as they don't see the profit on a re-sale. So I doubt that they are too inclined to help people sell their device as the other person could just be an additional sale.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post


    signed up yesterday via itunes and requested port of my sprint number. it said it would take 6 hours. now, 12 hours later, the switch is still not completed. no email saying how long it will take, in fact NO EMAIL FROM ATT as to my service plan, or welcome msg, at all! only a brief msg saying they are wokring on my account. no contact phone number, nothing. now i know why i left that sorry outfit a few years back. if i am not VERY HAPPY within the next 30 days back it all goes.



    Did you try the tips in this story?



    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nd_iphone.html
  • Reply 30 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gobo View Post


    The sys requirements are available as with any Apple product listing. While I can appreciate how this information can be overlooked, it is nonetheless, printed on the box.



    This seems a little random. Who are you responding to? I can't find anyone else talking about system requirements in this thread or in the original article.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    I wonder how many of the Stores listed as having iPhones in stock on Apple Site have one 4G models Left.



    I know UTC in San Diego ran out of 8G models Sunday afternoon. The store was packed with people (typical for a weekend) but no one wanted the 4G phones. There was a pile of about 29 of them just siting there...
  • Reply 32 of 79
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    See post number three for what he was responding to.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    jeffhrsnjeffhrsn Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Add to that, perhaps, 25 handsets per ATT store



    FWIW, I saw more than 25 handsets walk out of an AT&T store that night. I'm sure that number is too low.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    jeffhrsnjeffhrsn Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    What kind of idiot parent lets their 8 or 12 year old get a $600 phone? Unbelievable. Some parents spoil their kids to the point of making them unbearable to deal with.



    I'm sure someone, somewhere might say the same about a phone costing $25. It's all relative. $600 is not necessarily "big bux" to someone else. Lumping all prosperous people's children into the "unbearable" category is a bit presumptuous and not always likely to be accurate.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post


    FWIW, I saw more than 25 handsets walk out of an AT&T store that night. I'm sure that number is too low.



    You're absolutely correct. CNBC's "On the Money" show at 6pm CST was broadcast live from a Chicago Loop AT&T store. The line was well over 200 people and growing. An AT&T exec who was interviewed live on the air outside the store said they had supply for all those currently in line.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I think that report of all stores getting equal quantities is quite illogical. Apple is managing the distribution with a very precise "just in time" allocation formula. I'm sure they have an expert team working 24/7 just to manage the flow of handsets to each location - all delivered by the FedEx mission critical division.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Here's the latest headline story from Bloomberg.



    Apple's IPhone Sells Out at Most AT&T Stores, Swamping Network



    "Shoppers snapped up as many as 200,000 iPhones the first day after the device went on sale June 29, according to Global Equities Research. While it was still available at all 164 Apple stores yesterday, AT&T said most of its 1,800 stores no longer had the phone in stock. AT&T is the only mobile-phone service that works with the iPhone."





    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...OFY&refer=home
  • Reply 38 of 79
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    here in central connecticut i showed up at the mall around 5:15 friday night. there were @400 people in line at the apple store. i was amazed there were that many. instead of flocking into the line [bahhh] i walked over the to att store, about 100 yards away & 1 floor down. there were about 30 people in line in front of me.



    well it took me until 6:30 to get into the store. [they were having problems selling units because there sales server [opal?] kept crashing. while i was in the store, people were running to the front of the store saying the apple store had sold out in less than 30 minutes and that less than half of the people in line got phones - i don't know how many bought two].



    i asked the sales clerk how many units they had in stock, and she said they were asked not to give out that info... strange.



    what i want to know is who is actually buyibng a 4gb version?!?!? anyone here buy a 4gb?



    btw, this thing is awesome.

    the keyboard was very annoying at first, but i'm getting much better at it. you really do have to "trust" it. just type a word w/ typos and hit space, it's getting better and better at guessing what i meant to spell. [if i slow down just a bit i don't get typos, but that's not the point in the software]



    the interface is extremely fast and elegant. web browsing on wifi is fine [not as fast as my laptop of course, but that must be the iPhone processor drawing and scaling??? i went to the beach and tried out edge browsing yesterday. it is very slow [duh] but i had plenty of time. still i found myself going to WAP sites if i just wanted to know something fast [like that the yankees lost again :P]



    the camera is about what you'd expect. not so great but does the job. i won't be leaving my canon behind anytime i plan on taking pictures. actually i don't like the interface for the camera - why can't they make the vol up or vol down the shutter release? if you're not careful, pressing the on-screen button to take a picture will move your phone slightly and blur your picture.



    i set a password for my phone, but it's a bit annoying to have to type in 4 numbers every time i unlock the thing. note to apple: THUMBPRINT recognition for security in future versions!



    the little mic/button on the headphones is brilliant. it does everything i want it to - play/pause/skip, and answer and hang up calls - with one tiny button.



    lastly i'm unhappy to see that i'm not the only one how had trouble activating their phone. i was plannin on going to a block party friday night, but spent 2.5 hours on the phone w/ att in order to get my phone activated. step two in the itunes activation told me to call att at the number shown onscreen. very very frustrating to have just bought this thing and have to stare at the "activate/connect to itunes" screen.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Any information that you get from any retail employee of either Apple or ATT is either speculation or complete BS. I know several Apple store managers and not one of them has any clue about number of units sold or delivered to any store beyond their own. Apple keeps those numbers as "need to know" as any other information, and for good reason.



    There is a legion of reporters out there just dying to find any numbers to justify a claim that iPhone was overhyped. I suspect all these guesses are not very close to the truth. Only Steve knows for sure, and he won't be talking for a while.



    Calling around to ATT stores is a waste of time. They know nothing.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Very cool. Is that a large Apple Store?







    Don't forget about the AT&T and Apple Store online sales. I think that could easily double the numbers.



    I still have a 2-4 week ship date, but this is a typical Apple strategy. I'm hopeful it will ship within a few days.



    att line was about 300+ deep but there system crash and they have to wait a extra hour, manager also came out and said not to worry, everyone was goin to be able to get one, i think it all has to do with location, stores at the mall always get a huge amount
Sign In or Register to comment.