For everyone who is disappointed with iPhone, Great News!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I spoke with a very good source, who's an Apple employee very "familiar" with the iPhone project over the weekend, I told him I loved the interface, and all the great subtle little features it has that makes it so easy to use. I then told him I really, wanted a File System Access so I could store files, download images from the web, and generally carry around data, not just load it up from iTunes..



He said Apple IS absolutely BUILDING this, and it will come in a software update no later than when Leopard ships in two months (there will be updates before this)



Here is what he said:
  • There will be a build in file browser like the new finder in leopard for sorting through files

  • There will be a disk mode

  • The reason that there currently isn't a file browser + way to save files from web is because there isn't a file browser on the phone, and they wanted to release the same one that's gonna be in the upcoming leopard OS, complete with coverflow.

  • There will even be a special version of "iWork" so you can show your keynote presentations

  • So anyway a FULL file browser is coming so you can browse just like windows mobile explorer only in the cool way leopard's file browser is

  • Full spotlight like search is coming too

  • Widescreen keyboard support will be coming in every app, not just safari

  • Copy & Paste, Select Text is coming too (clipboard)

  • Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.

  • Most of the delays in this is because iTunes is the App Windows & Mac users are familar with for iTunes, so Apple didn't want to do a bad interface that had a file browser hacked into iTunes.

  • When Leopard FINAL release comes out, plugging in the iPhone will pop open a special window in the finder that has areas for dragging all your files like a file explorer only more advanced and designed specifically for the iPhone, it will make sure that it works so iTunes knows how much space is for data, and how much is for "iTunes" stuff.

  • Apple will be putting iChat on the phone, very, very soon, before Leopard.

  • Real Applications are coming to the phone shortly.

  • These are all updates that will be software based for the iPhone you already have, so give it a little bit of time. In the meantime enjoy the features it already has.

  • Oh and also there will be Photo Sharing, just like in iPhoto how you can check an option to let other people on the network view your photos.

  • He said .Mac account would eventually sync your accounts to the .Mac server as well from the phone, and so forth.

  • Simplified File sharing when on WIFI networks through bonjour (auto ip discovery) is coming, so once the file system software is up, your buddy in the same room will be able to navigate to his file browser > Network, and grab a file off your phone that you are sharing.

  • Ringtones will be coming very, very soon.

  • The Camera Software will get upgraded soon to have stabilization (software based)

  • Flash is coming eventually, it's just a matter of handling it in a way so when i page has dozens of flash apps running at the same time the page doesn't slow to a crawl, so they have to take the Adobe flash and make some customizations, including for security.

  • Anyway, enjoy the great mobile phone for now, and look forward to all the great stuff coming really, really soon. I can't WAIT for the new file browser so I can store stuff on this device!!

  • Just remember Windows Mobile has been out or a long time, even everytime a new WM phone comes out all the apps that are supposed to work, have to be tweaked or don't fit on the screen or some bullcrap, so realize this is just Apple's very first OS release for mobile Phone. Apple has lots of treats instore for all of you.



I probably missed a few things, so if you have questions about features that will be software updated, ask because I only typed what I could remember right now, and we talked about quite a bit of stuff!!!!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Thats rubbish.



    I don't buy that Apple-zealot argument of "if it's not there, our deity will add it soon obviously" - because:



    a) they apparently spent years on developing the system

    b) it should not take all that much effort to create a different UI (after all, it is running the same system isn't it, so the app core should not have to be changed - MVC after all) for apps that are already available on OS X.

    c) it should take no effort at all to add things like OBEX profiles that OS X already supports. It probably took more effort to take them out



    So, after years of development for a system that has already been up and running, they:

    -didn't manage to do some video recording?

    -didn't manage to build an MMS app?

    -weren't able to put (the already existing) iChat on this (they even used the interface for the SMS threaded view, and still you believe they didn't because there was no time or what)?

    -couldn't implement A2DP?

    -couldn't port a file browser?

    -didn't manage to make it mass-storage compatible?

    -didn't create Office Viewer apps that aren't bound to the eMail-client?

    -Were oblivious to SMS/eMail recipient lists?

    -couldn't offer a function in the mail client to browse you images to select an attachment? Not that I expected any other file type, but c'mon, not even images?

    -couldn't let you attach multiple images to a mail?

    -forgot about letting you use your own ringtones?

    -didn't let you personalize it more than just the wallpaper that is only displayed when the device is locked?

    -forgot to let the user save image from the web, or videos? Or any other file, for that matter?



    Give me a break - a lot of these things are design decisions that simply fell victim to the Simplicity madness Apple has. They won't be changed.

    Don't ever let a user do anything that goes beyond the complexity of smearing butter on a bread, because who would do anything more anyway? That's what I feel about it - I'm not a tech-dummy, and MANY people I know aren't either (and I'm talking about pretty normal people, not the geek next door) and still there is no way expand the devices in any way even just approaching sophistication? That's just ridiculous...



    Btw: read through Engadgets iPhone launch transcript again - it's quite funny to hear what he promised and what was delivered in the end...





    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

    "9:51am - It let us create desktop class applications and networking, not the crippled stuff you find on most phones, these are real desktop applications."



    Yeah right - focus on "US", hmm?







    I'm so tired of Apple fans that first push the hype to obnoxious dimensions and now, when it doesn't live up to that, tell us to wait because the almighty Apple would of course remedy all the shortcomings the heretics claim there are.

    Without the hype, I would have applauded Apple for the first product - but after they styled it as be-all-end-all device (and the press avidly picked up terms like Jesus Phone), all I can say is I'm utterly disappointed and sick of the excuses that echo all shortcoming reports...



    One more thing to note: It will be the success Apple wanted (after that hype, there's no way it could be different) - so why change it for the EU version (beyond the inclusion of 3G, which I believe will be there)? Never change a winning team, anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Thats rubbish.



    I don't buy that Apple-zealot argument of "if it's not there, our deity will add it soon obviously" - because:



    a) they apparently spent years on developing the system

    b) it should not take all that much effort to create a different UI (after all, it is running the same system isn't it, so the app core should not have to be changed - MVC after all) for apps that are already available on OS X.

    c) it should take no effort at all to add things like OBEX profiles that OS X already supports. It probably took more effort to take them out



    So, after years of development for a system that has already been up and running, they:

    -didn't manage to do some video recording?

    -didn't manage to build an MMS app?

    -weren't able to put (the already existing) iChat on this (they even used the interface for the SMS threaded view, and still you believe they didn't because there was no time or what)?

    -couldn't implement A2DP?

    -couldn't port a file browser?

    -didn't manage to make it mass-storage compatible?

    -didn't create Office Viewer apps that aren't bound to the eMail-client?

    -Were oblivious to SMS/eMail recipient lists?

    -couldn't offer a function in the mail client to browse you images to select an attachment? Not that I expected any other file type, but c'mon, not even images?

    -couldn't let you attach multiple images to a mail?

    -forgot about letting you use your own ringtones?

    -didn't let you personalize it more than just the wallpaper that is only displayed when the device is locked?

    -forgot to let the user save image from the web, or videos? Or any other file, for that matter?



    Give me a break - a lot of these things are design decisions that simply fell victim to the Simplicity madness Apple has. They won't be changed.

    Don't ever let a user do anything that goes beyond the complexity of smearing butter on a bread, because who would do anything more anyway? That's what I feel about it - I'm not a tech-dummy, and MANY people I know aren't either (and I'm talking about pretty normal people, not the geek next door) and still there is no way expand the devices in any way even just approaching sophistication? That's just ridiculous...



    Btw: read through Engadgets iPhone launch transcript again - it's quite funny to hear what he promised and what was delivered in the end...





    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

    "9:51am - It let us create desktop class applications and networking, not the crippled stuff you find on most phones, these are real desktop applications."



    Yeah right - focus on "US", hmm?







    I'm so tired of Apple fans that first push the hype to obnoxious dimensions and now, when it doesn't live up to that, tell us to wait because the almighty Apple would of course remedy all the shortcomings the heretics claim there are.

    Without the hype, I would have applauded Apple for the first product - but after they styled it as be-all-end-all device (and the press avidly picked up terms like Jesus Phone), all I can say is I'm utterly disappointed and sick of the excuses that echo all shortcoming reports...



    One more thing to note: It will be the success Apple wanted (after that hype, there's no way it could be different) - so why change it for the EU version (beyond the inclusion of 3G, which I believe will be there)? Never change a winning team, anyone?



    Apple have already stated that they will be adding new features to the iPhone and Apple TV over the next 18-24 months. To prove this they have deferred taking profit from sales of both immediately, instead they will only take profit month by month, as new features are added. They need to do this for accounting rules.



    Many more features and Apps will be added to the iPhone. The hardware will be fixed for quite a while, but new software will be out on a regular basis.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Thanks fot the list.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail;1105605[*


    Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.

    [/b]



    you can add account directly on the phone now. In fact you can only add email accounts via iTunes if they are already setup in mail on the mac.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Thats rubbish.



    I don't buy that Apple-zealot argument of "if it's not there, our deity will add it soon obviously" - because:



    You strike me as the type of person who, when given a wheelbarrow full of gold bars, would complain about the weight.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    I feel that these are all possible, if not inevitable, software updates for the iPhone. Saying that these features are not going to happen because they aren't already on the iPhone after years of development is complete malarky; Apple likes to get things right. They aren't going to let out any software components that aren't ready, and if I've read the MANY reviews online correctly, the software on the iPhone works perfectly. Apple would have crippled their device by letting out more complex software too early, and the fact that Leopard isn't out yet definitely complicated iPhone software development, considering it runs OSX.



    It seems to me that the creator of this thread knows his shit, and bashing his post because you hate "apple fanboys" and the "Simplicity madness" that we apparently all have is completely unreasonable. Everyone has a right to their own opinion of course, but there's no need to be a jerk because of personal bias.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Thats rubbish.



    I don't buy that Apple-zealot argument of "if it's not there, our deity will add it soon obviously" - because:



    a) they apparently spent years on developing the system

    b) it should not take all that much effort to create a different UI (after all, it is running the same system isn't it, so the app core should not have to be changed - MVC after all) for apps that are already available on OS X.

    c) it should take no effort at all to add things like OBEX profiles that OS X already supports. It probably took more effort to take them out



    You sound like someone who knows very little about the software development process.



    The current iPhone clearly is the result of years of effort. Despite all the features you can complain about not being there (I can do that too -- and I now have an iPhone) what is there is done very well for the most part, and the years of effort show.



    When you're developing software like this, if you can't let go of the idea that you need every bell and whistle from day one of your release -- you either never manage to release, or the competition goes blazing past you, eating up market share you could have claimed, while you delay and delay trying to achieve perfection.



    As a software engineer myself, the process sometime frustrates me, but I do understand it. There have been times I've wanted to add simple enhancements or bug fixes, and I've either been told not to, or, having gotten more accustomed to the process, decided on my own not to attempt these things.



    Just as an example, one of costs of software development few people think about is QA testing. If a seemingly simple change has broad impact over a number of different aspects of the final product, like a commonly used feature in many apps, or a critical core routine, implementing that "simple" change can mean your QA people need to regression test practically everything the product does from the ground up.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,414member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail


    Here is what he said:
    • There will be a build in file browser like the new finder in leopard for sorting through files

    • There will be a disk mode

    • The reason that there currently isn't a file browser + way to save files from web is because there isn't a file browser on the phone, and they wanted to release the same one that's gonna be in the upcoming leopard OS, complete with coverflow.

    • There will even be a special version of "iWork" so you can show your keynote presentations

    • So anyway a FULL file browser is coming so you can browse just like windows mobile explorer only in the cool way leopard's file browser is

    • Full spotlight like search is coming too

    • Widescreen keyboard support will be coming in every app, not just safari

    • Copy & Paste, Select Text is coming too (clipboard)

    • Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.

    • Most of the delays in this is because iTunes is the App Windows & Mac users are familar with for iTunes, so Apple didn't want to do a bad interface that had a file browser hacked into iTunes.

    • When Leopard FINAL release comes out, plugging in the iPhone will pop open a special window in the finder that has areas for dragging all your files like a file explorer only more advanced and designed specifically for the iPhone, it will make sure that it works so iTunes knows how much space is for data, and how much is for "iTunes" stuff.

    • Apple will be putting iChat on the phone, very, very soon, before Leopard.

    • Real Applications are coming to the phone shortly.

    • These are all updates that will be software based for the iPhone you already have, so give it a little bit of time. In the meantime enjoy the features it already has.

    • Oh and also there will be Photo Sharing, just like in iPhoto how you can check an option to let other people on the network view your photos.

    • He said .Mac account would eventually sync your accounts to the .Mac server as well from the phone, and so forth.

    • Simplified File sharing when on WIFI networks through bonjour (auto ip discovery) is coming, so once the file system software is up, your buddy in the same room will be able to navigate to his file browser > Network, and grab a file off your phone that you are sharing.

    • Ringtones will be coming very, very soon.

    • The Camera Software will get upgraded soon to have stabilization (software based)

    • Flash is coming eventually, it's just a matter of handling it in a way so when i page has dozens of flash apps running at the same time the page doesn't slow to a crawl, so they have to take the Adobe flash and make some customizations, including for security.

    • Anyway, enjoy the great mobile phone for now, and look forward to all the great stuff coming really, really soon. I can't WAIT for the new file browser so I can store stuff on this device!!

    • Just remember Windows Mobile has been out or a long time, even everytime a new WM phone comes out all the apps that are supposed to work, have to be tweaked or don't fit on the screen or some bullcrap, so realize this is just Apple's very first OS release for mobile Phone. Apple has lots of treats instore for all of you.




    All makes sense, and all is believable.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post


    Apple have already stated that they will be adding new features to the iPhone and Apple TV over the next 18-24 months.



    Do you not find that funny at all? It took them 2 years to make this and now they still havent finished lol As if the iphone wasnt already lacking in the features dept by the time Apple finish "updating" this one who knows what will be out by then haha



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    You strike me as the type of person who, when given a wheelbarrow full of gold bars, would complain about the weight.



    Well I dont know, give me a wheelbarrow full of gold bars and then youll find out. Until then shut up. \
  • Reply 9 of 40
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Do you not find that funny at all? It took them 2 years to make this and now they still havent finished lol As if the iphone wasnt already lacking in the features dept by the time Apple finish "updating" this one who knows what will be out by then haha



    Yeah, I wonder why Apple didn't just release Leopard in 2001. Or the Mac in '77.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post


    I spoke with a very good source, who's an Apple employee very "familiar" with the iPhone project over the weekend, I told him I loved the interface, and all the great subtle little features it has that makes it so easy to use. I then told him I really, wanted a File System Access so I could store files, download images from the web, and generally carry around data, not just load it up from iTunes..



    He said Apple IS absolutely BUILDING this, and it will come in a software update no later than when Leopard ships in two months (there will be updates before this)



    Here is what he said:
    • There will be a build in file browser like the new finder in leopard for sorting through files

    • There will be a disk mode

    • The reason that there currently isn't a file browser + way to save files from web is because there isn't a file browser on the phone, and they wanted to release the same one that's gonna be in the upcoming leopard OS, complete with coverflow.

    • There will even be a special version of "iWork" so you can show your keynote presentations

    • So anyway a FULL file browser is coming so you can browse just like windows mobile explorer only in the cool way leopard's file browser is

    • Full spotlight like search is coming too

    • Widescreen keyboard support will be coming in every app, not just safari

    • Copy & Paste, Select Text is coming too (clipboard)

    • Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.

    • Most of the delays in this is because iTunes is the App Windows & Mac users are familar with for iTunes, so Apple didn't want to do a bad interface that had a file browser hacked into iTunes.

    • When Leopard FINAL release comes out, plugging in the iPhone will pop open a special window in the finder that has areas for dragging all your files like a file explorer only more advanced and designed specifically for the iPhone, it will make sure that it works so iTunes knows how much space is for data, and how much is for "iTunes" stuff.

    • Apple will be putting iChat on the phone, very, very soon, before Leopard.

    • Real Applications are coming to the phone shortly.

    • These are all updates that will be software based for the iPhone you already have, so give it a little bit of time. In the meantime enjoy the features it already has.

    • Oh and also there will be Photo Sharing, just like in iPhoto how you can check an option to let other people on the network view your photos.

    • He said .Mac account would eventually sync your accounts to the .Mac server as well from the phone, and so forth.

    • Simplified File sharing when on WIFI networks through bonjour (auto ip discovery) is coming, so once the file system software is up, your buddy in the same room will be able to navigate to his file browser > Network, and grab a file off your phone that you are sharing.

    • Ringtones will be coming very, very soon.

    • The Camera Software will get upgraded soon to have stabilization (software based)

    • Flash is coming eventually, it's just a matter of handling it in a way so when i page has dozens of flash apps running at the same time the page doesn't slow to a crawl, so they have to take the Adobe flash and make some customizations, including for security.

    • Anyway, enjoy the great mobile phone for now, and look forward to all the great stuff coming really, really soon. I can't WAIT for the new file browser so I can store stuff on this device!!

    • Just remember Windows Mobile has been out or a long time, even everytime a new WM phone comes out all the apps that are supposed to work, have to be tweaked or don't fit on the screen or some bullcrap, so realize this is just Apple's very first OS release for mobile Phone. Apple has lots of treats instore for all of you.



    I probably missed a few things, so if you have questions about features that will be software updated, ask because I only typed what I could remember right now, and we talked about quite a bit of stuff!!!!



    PS You forgot to quote the person who you copied this from on the joke of all forums. Howard lol



    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1191647
  • Reply 11 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    Yeah, I wonder why Apple didn't just release Leopard in 2001. Or the Mac in '77.



    And I wonder why they dont put video recording in the iphone, or MMS or A2DP or any other bluetooth profile except for using a headset.



    And while im at it maybe ill wonder why it can handle H263 eocded videos lol Oh and maybe also why most 3rd party 3.5mm headphones dont work in the iphone.



    Do you wonder about those things aswell? lol
  • Reply 12 of 40
    theloniusthelonius Posts: 17member
    The big questions for me would be:



    Most importantly voice dialing



    Next A2DP and general use of bluetooth/wifi for other devices and sharing.



    finally the little things like java based apps, games, more productivity tools (like putty thank you very much)



    Thanks for the corp email support and upcoming btw, that was huge.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    And I wonder why they dont put video recording in the iphone, or MMS or A2DP or any other bluetooth profile except for using a headset.



    And while im at it maybe ill wonder why it can handle H263 eocded videos lol Oh and maybe also why most 3rd party 3.5mm headphones dont work in the iphone.



    Do you wonder about those things aswell? lol



    I'd like you to tell me lol what phone you have now that lol has all the features of the iPhone lol 3.5" screen, 8 gigs, wifi lol plus all these other features lol that you say you want on the iPhone lol. Ta lol.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    I'd like you to tell me lol what phone you have now that lol has all the features of the iPhone lol 3.5" screen, 8 gigs, wifi lol plus all these other features lol that you say you want on the iPhone lol. Ta lol.



    Im using a N90 + K800 but will have an n93i/n95 on Tuesday. Got WIFI, good camera, VGA 30fps video, support for both H264 and H263 video. A2DP am i missing anything?



    3.5 inch screen is nice i admit but its not enough to compensate for leaving out such basis things like bluetooth profiles. I mean you cant even share anything with anyone. How closed of can you be lol
  • Reply 15 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Do you not find that funny at all? It took them 2 years to make this and now they still havent finished lol As if the iphone wasnt already lacking in the features dept by the time Apple finish "updating" this one who knows what will be out by then haha







    Well I dont know, give me a wheelbarrow full of gold bars and then youll find out. Until then shut up. \



    By that standard, no software in the world has ever been shipped "finished".
  • Reply 16 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    By that standard, no software in the world has ever been shipped "finished".



    But there is a difference what others bring out in updates to what these rumors are suggesting.



    Firmware updates are to fix bugs not to implement new things that wernt on the original issue of the iphone. By that rational it may not be fully tested and stable when it is updagted which will lead to more issues. On the other hand if it has bee tested and is fine why wasnt it on this one?



    If this is true then Apple are basically saying they released the phone prematurley.



    In ay case even with that update it still cant record video or send files via BT. lol
  • Reply 17 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    Yes why don't you.



    Noob alert
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Until then shut up. \



    Yes why don't you.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Do you not have any actual points to make? Or will you continue to blindley worship this phone which is superceded even atits time of release.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    But there is a difference what others bring out in updates to what these rumors are suggesting.



    Firmware updates are to fix bugs not to implement new things that wernt on the original issue of the iphone. By that rational it may not be fully tested and stable when it is updagted which will lead to more issues. On the other hand if it has bee tested and is fine why wasnt it on this one?



    If this is true then Apple are basically saying they released the phone prematurley.



    In ay case even with that update it still cant record video or send files via BT. lol



    I think Shetline covered that-- software development is all about trade-offs and deadlines.



    This is Apple's first cell phone, and it is in fact more than that: it's a new handheld platform running a version of OS X.



    Apple is putting a lot of eggs in this basket, and appear to be taking a lot of pains to make sure they get the implementation right, right out of the gate.



    Most people think the features that are implemented are great, and aren't that torqued about the ones that aren't. Most people figure more features will be coming soon, and given the excellence of the iPhone experience as is, think that waiting a little while isn't that big a price to pay for having an iPhone in hand now.



    For you, video recording is obviously a very big deal, but that doesn't make the iPhone crippled or stupid or useless, and it doesn't make Apple foolish or incompetent or thieving.
Sign In or Register to comment.