AmTech: iPhone to become fastest selling Apple product in history

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    IN one of those 'I randomly actually have inside info" postings,

I was (benevolently) led to believe that the weekend total of iphone sales was 150 000. Apple tried to do 200 000, but literally couldn't move enough out the door.

my source used this info for the "launch" which I guess could mean just Friday, but the way the conversation was going, it seemed to mean the weekend.

This explains the stock movement a bit

And Wu consistently makes stuff up.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by panamajack View Post

Here's a prediction: a 3G iPhone will be made available (along with the EDGE version) soon after the EU/Asian version is released.

Job's interview actually convinced me somewhat on their choice to go with EDGE for the time being. Nonetheless, giving North American customers a choice between EDGE and HSDPA would make a certain amount of sense until AT&T's 3G network gets more widespread.

Ditto for any Canadian iPhone release; seeing as HSDPA is only available in the Greater Toronto area, Canucks will probably be better served with EDGE.

According to Engadget:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Engadget

Ottawa and London Ontario, Montreal Quebec, plus Edmonton and Calgary Alberta are all seeing that fabulous HSDPA icon on their handsets. Nothing official out of Rogers Corporate yet, but the word is that bigger centers should be up and running by Q1 2008 with general rollout by end of the year

Doesn't matter as long as Rogers keeps charging $100 for 100 MB, of course.

As for 3G in North America? Over in my roadmap thread I predicted 3G for Christmas (or at Macworld).
  • Reply 23 of 37
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    If the iPhone really has sold in the region of 700,000 units over the weekend, that is nothing short of staggering!

To put that into perspective, let's compare that with some other high profile devices which have been launched recently:

Wii: 600,000 units after 8 days.

Xbox 360: 326,000 units after 8 days.

PS3: 81,639 units after 24 hours.

I tried finding information about the Zune (you know, for fun) and the best I could find was that Microsoft is aiming to sell 1,000,000 by June i.e. 8 months after it launched in November last year.

Yet we still get reputable news sources like the BBC quoting that the iPhone launch numbers haven't been impressive... I dunno
  • Reply 24 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    These figures are complete horse***! They have no inside knowledge of sales at any other locations than the coastal cities... which I'm pretty certain have much higher interest than middle America!
  • Reply 25 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

IN one of those 'I randomly actually have inside info" postings,

I was (benevolently) led to believe that the weekend total of iphone sales was 150 000. Apple tried to do 200 000, but literally couldn't move enough out the door.

my source used this info for the "launch" which I guess could mean just Friday, but the way the conversation was going, it seemed to mean the weekend.

This explains the stock movement a bit

And Wu consistently makes stuff up.

I am sure I must be the only one -- but your post makes no sense at all.

• Reply 26 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

I tried finding information about the Zune (you know, for fun) and the best I could find was that Microsoft is aiming to sell 1,000,000 by June i.e. 8 months after it launched in November last year.

Just over a month ago MS announced that it shipped one million Zunes. Which means absolutely nothing. If it did, Apple could say it shipped 1 million iPhones before they even went on sale last Friday.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just over a month ago MS announced that it shipped one million Zunes. Which means absolutely nothing. If it did, Apple could say it shipped 1 million iPhones before they even went on sale last Friday.

That was people misinterpreting what an MS exec said:

"When we finish our fiscal year in June we'll have sold a little over a million Zunes."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../MICROSOFT.TMP

To find the quote, do a search or read to about a third of the way down.

They probably didn't sell over a million as of a month ago, but they might have three days ago, when their fiscal year ended.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    If Apple releases a 3G model at Christmas time, don't you think those same people who made the purchases that enabled them to reach that mark will be angry enough to create the reverse? They will not want to purchase another phone so soon, even with 3G at the price at current or it might be higher. The Nokia N95 for example is costing over $700.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

"When we finish our fiscal year in June we'll have sold a little over a million Zunes."

They probably didn't sell over a million as of a month ago, but they might have three days ago, when their fiscal year ended.

Funny! The article I looked up to confirm what I had read last month linked directly to that article. I guess I should have gone that extra step.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HHansen726 View Post

If Apple releases a 3G model at Christmas time, don't you think those same people who made the purchases that enabled them to reach that mark will be angry enough to create the reverse? They will not want to purchase another phone so soon, even with 3G at the price at current or it might be higher. The Nokia N95 for example is costing over $700.

These people waited in lines for hours and even days. The 1G iPhone will still have tremendous value and these people will be waiting in line again.

However, I don't think it will happen. We will see new Mac designs and maybe some upgraded (though not revamped) iPods just after the back to school deals end. I don't think we'll see a new iPhone model for the US until Macworld '08.

PS: Here in India the Nokia N95 is going for $900 and the PS3 for $1000 (after converting from Rupees). I'm not sure these prices can be bartered.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

Funny! The article I looked up to confirm what I had read last month linked directly to that article. I guess I should have gone that extra step.

It's an honest mistake. There is also the question of whether sold means the end user has it or sold as in distributors or retailers has taken delivery of that many, in the hopes of finding an end user. For what it's worth, our Office Depot chain has Zunes at a clearance price of US$200 now.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HHansen726 View Post

No one has to upgrade their existing product for the next generation. If they choose to, they are free to do so, though I think it's silly unless there is some necessity. Some Apple fans do seem to have this "need" to upgrade at every generation and complain if the upgrade isn't big enough for them to make it worth it.

N95 is a bit of a different beast, but I think it was said several times on these boards that a lot of smart phones are more expensive than iPhone already. I think N95 is the one that has decent camera elements in it, rather unlike other phones with fixed focus lenses and pinhead sensors. Those improved camera elements do take more space and probably cost a lot more.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Zune Insider states that the article you posted was also misquoted within that article. They even have an audio feed of the interview. I'm not sure if the link you both refer to has been corrected but I thought I'd point it out.

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/...e-players.aspx

Original SF Chroncial podcast :: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfga...entry_id=16912
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

Zune Insider states that the article you posted was also misquoted within that article. They even have an audio feed of the interview. I'm not sure if the link you both refer to has been corrected but I thought I'd point it out.

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/...e-players.aspx

Original SF Chroncial podcast :: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfga...entry_id=16912

The article doesn't acknowledge any corrections that were made, I have not found out what the uncorrected text was. Archive.org doesn't have it and Google cache shows the same text.

Edit:

http://www.zune-online.com/news/zune...n-players.html

It was: "We've sold over a little over a million Zunes".
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Not sure if they can record the sale before it ships, so it might not count as a sale for the June quarter, but this is good news for Apple stock.

I don't see why not. There was still a transaction. They took my money.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    If newswireless.net is to be believed we'll from Apple before the end of the week. Vodafone "will confirm Euro iPhone deal when one million phones are sold" - Thursday?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newswireless.net

However, actual registrations through AT&T - not sales, but completed "activation" of iPhone accounts - showed that by last night, more than 600,000 users were online. At this rate, the magic million will be reached some time tomorrow (Wednesday) - possibly even sooner, say sources, who think that the number of customers who have bought (but still can't use) their iPhones is very high.

• Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am sure I must be the only one -- but your post makes no sense at all.

um. complete sense apparently. As my post said, 150 000 phones.

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...-third-qu.html