Mossberg: Apple working on Adobe Flash support for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An impending software update to Apple's iPhone will include a plug-in for the handset's Safari web browser that will finally let users view Adobe Flash media files, the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg reports.

The technology columnist made the comments in a question and answer piece posted to his web blog, specifically in response to a question regarding the quality of the Apple handset's browsing experience and its current inability to play some web movie clips.

"At launch, the iPhone version of the Safari browser is missing some plug-ins needed for playing common types of Web videos. The most important of these is the plug-in for Adobe’s Flash technology," Mossberg wrote. "Apple says it plans to add that plug-in through an early software update, which I am guessing will occur within the next couple of months."

The columnist also noted having some success in connecting his iPhone to a friend's BMW dashboard system over Bluetooth.

"In my two-week test of the iPhone, I succeeded in connecting it without much trouble to the built-in audio system and microphone on a friend’s BMW. Almost instantly, the over 700 contacts I had on my test iPhone were displayed on the car’s dashboard screen and calls could be made and received through the iPhone," he wrote."

Mossberg added, however, that the iPhone can use Bluetooth to connect only with cars and with wireless phone headsets. "It cannot use Bluetooth to transfer any data to or from a computer, to play music through stereo wireless headsets, or for any other purpose."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    The Flash plug-in, if it doesn't bog things down excessively, is excellent news.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    How come they let Mossberg say so much? Apple specifically states now that you should avoid Flash in their "iPhone development guidelines". They could've omitted that if the flash update was so near.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    tsvissertsvisser Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

The Flash plug-in, if it doesn't bog things down excessively, is excellent news.

this is excellent news... in addition to being able to view flash sites, especially video (good) and advertisements (bad), the other significant factor is that this is probably the preferred method to write applications for many developers, especially if the .SWF file can be hosted locally on the phone's memory. speed should not be an issue. with the latest Flash Player 9, the runtime has increased in speed and efficiency greatly, compared to 8... somewhere on the magnitude of 10 times (guess from memory) for certain features. also, since we are talking about comparing speed against RIA applications running in Safari, the Flash runtime should see parity, if not an advantage to speed compared to AJAX / webkit applications.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    The problem is that there isn't currently a Flash runtime for the ARM processor and if there was, how fast would it really be?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    joy. so the next time i come here to post from my phone i'll be annoyed by those flash ads.

this will be a great addition to the phone. so many sites i frequent that i can't see without flash...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    I'm sure the Flash plugin runs on the iPhone, but if you haven't noticed, Flash on a Mac is a major CPU hog. What a Windows PCs seems to handle without any effort, the Mac struggles along, all the while keeping its CPU cool by accelerating the fan. That would drain the iPhone's battery way too quickly (not a fan, but the CPU usage).

I bet Apple engineers are rewriting the Flash plugin to be small and efficient on the OS X platform. If so, I have no doubt it will benefit Macs, as well, which would rock!
  • Reply 7 of 44
    gumguygumguy Posts: 27member
    The flash will be a welcome addition. BTW my 2007 Aura TL accepted instant link with Handsfree Link AND all contacts were transferred to the cars dashboard from my iPhone. Something I had been unable to do with Motorola phones or Palm Treo's. A very seemless procedure.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

The flash will be a welcome addition. BTW my 2007 Aura TL accepted instant link with Handsfree Link AND all contacts were transferred to the cars dashboard from my iPhone. Something I had been unable to do with Motorola phones or Palm Treo's. A very seemless procedure.

Note that Walt said Flash Video, not Flash in general. It's one thing to support FLV, and another to port the entire plugin to an ARM processor.

I think people are underestimating what a can of worms supporting Flash would be for Apple. Too many complications with all of the poorly written UIs out there. There's no equivalent to rollover on iPhone. No equivalent to drag and drop. And Flash would probably be a MAJOR resource hog and battery drainer.

I can't see Apple convincing Google to convert the entire YouTube catalog from Flash to H.264, and then coming out with full Flash support two months later, anyway. Why help Adobe push a non-standard proprietary file format, when you can sell enough iPhones to force the industry to conform to open standards? Especially when the user experience of Flash on iPhone will probably be mediocre at best for many sites.

I make a lot of money with Actionscript, but I still think promoting Flash in this way is a bad idea for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I hope they improve the Bluetooth support on the iPhone, specifically adding support for:

- Contacts syncing

- Calendar syncing

- Ability to use an NMEA compatible Bluetooth GPS
  • Reply 10 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I want to be able to use the iPhone as a BT remote control, like other phones can do, for various devices. Like Lego Mindstorms.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I make a lot of money with Actionscript, but I still think promoting Flash in this way is a bad idea for Apple.

Flash is big part of my business too, but I've actually changed my position on Flash for iPhone. Previously I posted that I thought it was important to have. Now that I've had a chance to actually use the iPhone, I think it is better to leave it off. Absent Flash, it should encourage Flash developers to actually use swfobject with alt content so users will see an image file instead if Flash is not enabled.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    hohlecowhohlecow Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotek2001 View Post

The problem is that there isn't currently a Flash runtime for the ARM processor and if there was, how fast would it really be?

there is a flash runtime for ARM running on the N770 and N800. you can even play YouTube videos with it (albeit, with slow video refresh, but the n800 has a less powerful ARM then the iPhone). On the N800 its implemented as an Opera plugin.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    xelitexxelitex Posts: 46member
    so what does this mean? will we be able to watch videos off of youtube.com on our iphone? (not the app)...
  • Reply 14 of 44
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    "Google street" needs flash...
  • Reply 15 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Note that Walt said Flash Video, not Flash in general. It's one thing to support FLV, and another to port the entire plugin to an ARM processor.

I think people are underestimating what a can of worms supporting Flash would be for Apple. Too many complications with all of the poorly written UIs out there. There's no equivalent to rollover on iPhone. No equivalent to drag and drop. And Flash would probably be a MAJOR resource hog and battery drainer.

I can't see Apple convincing Google to convert the entire YouTube catalog from Flash to H.264, and then coming out with full Flash support two months later, anyway. Why help Adobe push a non-standard proprietary file format, when you can sell enough iPhones to force the industry to conform to open standards? Especially when the user experience of Flash on iPhone will probably be mediocre at best for many sites.

I agree with you about the YouTube support question. That would seem strange.

But, proprietary or not, Flash is still the most important standard on the web for this purpose. In that sense, it's almost an open format.

Not having some sort of Flash support is a big negative.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Flash is big part of my business too, but I've actually changed my position on Flash for iPhone. Previously I posted that I thought it was important to have. Now that I've had a chance to actually use the iPhone, I think it is better to leave it off. Absent Flash, it should encourage Flash developers to actually use swfobject with alt content so users will see an image file instead if Flash is not enabled.

I don't see the iPhone as ever becoming so important that web developers would switch.

There are several hundred million computers on the internet. Apple would have to sell a hundred million iPhones within a very few years for them to have an impact.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    I hope they're also working on a video-capture app. \
  • Reply 18 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see the iPhone as ever becoming so important that web developers would switch.

There are several hundred million computers on the internet. Apple would have to sell a hundred million iPhones within a very few years for them to have an impact.

I'm not sure if I was clear enough in my earlier comments. I'm suggesting Flash developers should be using swfobject with alt content ALL the time not just because of iPhone. There is no switching involved, it's just the right way to embed Flash especially for IE 7.

m
  • Reply 19 of 44
    gradygrady Posts: 4member
    It would only make sense that you be able to capture video on your iphone that you may or may not want to upload to youtube....
  • Reply 20 of 44
    smqtsmqt Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

that will finally let users view Adobe Flash media files

"finally"?? the thing hasn't even been out more than a week

rolleyes