iPhone: activation hack, more iPhone patents, typing tricks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Let's face it. The Blackberry double space auto period is awesome and Apple had to find a work around. I love the tap and drag over the tap tap space.

I actually never liked the double space for period thing, because I stopped using two spaces after a period as soon as I started using computers. It's a bad habit from the days of typewriters.

Palm actually solved this better with the dedicated period key.

But as someone pointed out earlier, the tap and drag thing is useful if you use other punctuation that doesn't usually get a space after it, like $,&,@, etc. I did notice that apostrophes (') automatically switch back to letters, even without a spacebar tap. Makes sense, as you'll almost never follow an apostrophe with anything other than a letter.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I actually never liked the double space for period thing, because I stopped using two spaces after a period as soon as I started using computers. It's a bad habit from the days of typewriters.

Palm actually solved this better with the dedicated period key.

But as someone pointed out earlier, the tap and drag thing is useful if you use other punctuation that doesn't usually get a space after it, like $,&,@, etc. I did notice that apostrophes (') automatically switch back to letters, even without a spacebar tap. Makes sense, as you'll almost never follow an apostrophe with anything other than a letter.

Why do some people double space after a period and some single space? I double space personally. It just looks better to me.

Also, dont get me wrong about the iPhone's tap-drag-release is wonderful.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Why do some people double space after a period and some single space? I double space personally. It just looks better to me.

Doesn't do you any good when posting in a forum like this. All contiguous sequences of spaces end up getting displayed as a single space.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I've been using the iPhone for two days in Paris. Some observations:

1) I started to get a strong signal as the plane was taxi-ing into CDG; it is on Orange.

2) Call quality is outstanding -- a bit depressing for me as a US consumer, considering how it sucks back home. Btw, when calling the US, the software automatically figures out you are in France and does stuff like country codes, international codes and such. (It also does the same when calling within France, as I found out in making local restaurant reservations).

3) Anyone complaining about EDGE and 2.5 (v. 3)G has not used it (or an iPhone) yet. SJ was absolutely right -- for apps such as email, stocks, weather, maps, and such, 2.5G is a non-issue. EDGE works fabulously in Paris. But the internet IS slower compared to wifi, yet nowhere near as slow as has been mentioned in reviews such as Pogue's. I am coasting, for all my iPhone needs. (Btw, free wifi in the hotel lobby means I get all my surfing done as well).

4) The only problem is -- if that is the word -- I have been getting mobbed. Everyone here at the hotel as heard of the "eephunn". Can't sit at a bar with this thing without getting constant taps on the shoulder; bellboys and concierges and duty managers and ladies at check-in are going nuts over this thing (usually, the younger they are, the more they go nuts). Even Japanese tourists in the lobby are going ga-ga. For all their supposed tech-savviness over here in Europe (granted it's only one country so far), they all do a collective swoon when they start to play with it.

5) My prediction -- This thing is going to be bloody HUGE all over the word.

6) Short Nokia.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've been using the iPhone for two days in Paris. Some observations:

4) The only problem is -- if that is the word -- I have been getting mobbed. Everyone here at the hotel as heard of the "eephunn". Can't sit at a bar with this thing without getting constant taps on the shoulder; bellboys and concierges and duty managers and ladies at check-in are going nuts over this thing (usually, the younger they are, the more they go nuts). Even Japanese tourists in the lobby are going ga-ga. For all their supposed tech-savviness over here in Europe (granted it's only one country so far), they all do a collective swoon when they start to play with it.

On Wednesday, I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Russia, Sweden & Finland. I starting to get a bit concerned about getting "mobbed" too. I just hoped it is not "robbed" instead.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Also, dont get me wrong about the iPhone's tap-drag-release is wonderful.

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to do "cap-locks".
  • Reply 27 of 30
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to do "cap-locks".

Settings -> General -> Keyboard: Set "Enable Caps Lock" to On.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Settings -> General -> Keyboard: Set "Enable Caps Lock" to On.

Or, you can also double-tap the CAPS key (the "up" arrow).
  • Reply 29 of 30
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

I did not know that! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 30 of 30
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

But this only works after you turn it on in the general settings. At least thats how it worked for me.