Apple to patch iPhone battery bug with software update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trragan View Post

My iPhone came with a power adapter; USB cable and dock. More than Apple usually gives bundles with their products, except for the Mac line.

Apple got rid of the power supply with the FireWire cable, I think. I don't mind these cost savings, but I do wish i could still sync via FW.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple got rid of the power supply with the FireWire cable, I think. I don't mind these cost savings, but I do wish i could still sync via FW.

All iphones come with the power supply. Don't know why this seems to be an issue. Yes, if you want to have two cables you need to buy another cable - reasonable. Also, as has been pointed out, if you have an old iphone charger, either FW or USB is works on the iphone.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

All iphones come with the power supply. Don't know why this seems to be an issue. Yes, if you want to have two cables you need to buy another cable - reasonable. Also, as has been pointed out, if you have an old iphone charger, either FW or USB is works on the iphone.

I guess I wasn't clear. I was referring to the iPod's lack of a power supply, lack of FW (it originally came with FW, then with both FW and USB, and then only USB) and the inability to sync via FW.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Memory Effect explains the effect of overcharging. I can't find anything on the partial charging. So I might not be right about the partial charging thing, but I the overchanging is documented.

Most popular assumptions about battery behavior is outdated, memory effect is with battery chemistry that is two or three generations old.

As far as I can tell, the main thing you need to worry about with lithium based batteries is to not overheat them (as in a baking car-sauna) or let them be discharged for too long.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

AN iPhone...AN iPhone...For Gods sake it is a device, an inanimate object, and it is the general name of a device, not a specific one: if for lord knows what reason, you name your iphone....lets just say, chips: then you would say "when chips..." but if it is just a general product, you say "when an iphone..."

I am far from a grammer nut but I see this all over the net and it pisses me off

Clearly you aren't a grammar nut, or else you'd know how to spell grammar.

There's noting incorrect about referring to a product without its article, whether it be iPod, iPhone, iMac, Macbook Pro, etc. It's pretentious, to be sure. But not incorrect grammar. It's just a marketing technique to make something sound more important than it is.

"Say hello to iPhone" sounds more majestic than "Say hello to the iPhone."
  • Reply 26 of 26
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Most popular assumptions about battery behavior is outdated, memory effect is with battery chemistry that is two or three generations old.

As far as I can tell, the main thing you need to worry about with lithium based batteries is to not overheat them (as in a baking car-sauna) or let them be discharged for too long.

Also, you don't want to recharge LI or LiPo soon after discharge as they're still hot and could puff if you're not careful.