iPhone metrics to be focus of Apple quarterly call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

I am so tired of every single thread, no matter the topic, turned into a bunch of people saying that apple "NEEDS" a "headless" tower, a "mid-level" tower, or otherwise noting a "gaping hole" in their offerings. I mean please, look at the real world.

future: LAPTOPS, IPHONE, IPOD, some all-in-ones (IMAC), and a tiny number of workhorses.

The tower model is dead except for the VERY VERY VERY VERY small percentage of computer users who need a powerful machine, which Apple also offers. For the VAST majority of users, laptops are the future. A home computer for the family. BS. Everyone gets their own laptop. That is the direction we've been heading for years. In 10 years, 90+% of all computers sold will be laptops.

the headless idea is stupid. a mid-tower or whatever the hell is even stupider.

Thank God none of you work at Apple. I'd sell my stock immediately.

Excellent post!! Still I'd like to see some sort of home media server produced by Apple. One that could host your iTunes library and Pictures, but has enough capacity. 500GB-1TB should be enough for now. Server could also host your Time machine backups and things like that. Basically it would be a NAS device, but with some added logic. I.E. apache server would be nice.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    trragantrragan Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

That would be earnings, not revenue.

I would love it if they did this, you could have a single mac pro and dumb terminals for all the family computers. The terminals could look like iBooks or iMacs, but with less stuff inside.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I think the real calculation is $600 x 0.5M / 8Q * 41% profit margin = $15M. That is $0.015/share. Not bad for two days...

Oh, and how are you calculating a per share item with out outstanding common shares in your calculation? Just curious. Are you just assuming that 100 Million shares of common are outstanding? I don't know is that correct, I haven't looked at their balance sheet to know.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trragan View Post

Oh, and how are you calculating a per share item with out outstanding common shares in your calculation? Just curious. Are you just assuming that 100 Million shares of common are outstanding? I don't know is that correct, I haven't looked at their balance sheet to know.

864.95M shares outstanding.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Where do you get your profit margin from? Hopefully not from an assumed cost of the parts. Also, that calculation doesn't account for the monthly revenue received from AT&Tfor each iPhone user.

How come with all the cost breakdowns I've seen, no one accounts for OS development costs (it didn't sprout from the Keebler Elves Jobs keeps under his desk), G&A, marketing, R&D, etc. Everyone reports the parts look to cost $X and acts like the commercials magically appear on TV for free, that the idea for the iPhone just appeared completely engineered on Ive's desk one Monday morning and a bug free OS X for ARM processors just magically appeared on network drives. I bet these soft costs are HUGE! Since Apple publicly guessed 10 million units, that would be the lowest number they'd probably amortize these (I'm sure) capitalized costs against, but the R&D amount had to be big on these. This doesn't include the cost of future upgrades, which will be amortized against sales & revenues in order to keep the SarbOx enforcers happy.