Next-gen Xeon specs leaked; iPhone sighting at T-Mobile Germany

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    OK now that this is dead lets get back to processors. "Next-gen Xeon specs leaked"
  • Reply 122 of 137
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not the look.

I was referring to the UI, that has very little to do with looks, it's all about functionality.
  • Reply 123 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

I was referring to the UI, that has very little to do with looks, it's all about functionality.

Ok. There are widely varying opinions about that.
  • Reply 124 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Nope. In explorer there are 'actions' like copy and move within explorer that make it easy to do this. As well explorer has a nice tree to see where some thing goes. Finder is easier to find things compared to explorer but other actions are harder, IMO.

I prefer drag and drop. Less work that way.

Nonetheless, the Finder does have 'actions' much like explorer. You can copy and paste folders, make duplicates and aliases. The only one missing is the 'move' action, but this on the Mac is not needed. In Windows the 'move' action is necessary because working directly with folders and files in Windows is a painstaking process.

In my opinion the tree effect is a pain in the you know what, it gets to be so long as you open folders that you have to scroll up and down, up and down, up and down. Bahhh. Additionally, viewing folders and files in the Finder using the Columns mode is much easier to see where things are at, much easier than explorer.
  • Reply 125 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok. There are widely varying opinions about that.

True.

I like it as is.
  • Reply 126 of 137
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Nonetheless, the Finder does have 'actions' much like explorer. You can copy and paste folders, make duplicates and aliases. The only one missing is the 'move' action, but this on the Mac is not needed. In Windows the 'move' action is necessary because working directly with folders and files is painstaking process.

In my opinion the tree effect is a pain in the you know what, it gets to be so long as you open folders that you have to scroll up and down, up and down, up and down. Bahhh.

How is copy and paste more intuitive than just 'copy' or 'move'? Hard to believe but this is one instance, perhaps the only, where windows is more intuitive than OSX.

I don't want to make a bigger deal out of this than it is because I don't move files around all that much but

when needed explorer can be easier to use for these actions than OSX, IMO.
  • Reply 127 of 137
    Quote:

How is copy and paste more intuitive than just 'copy' or 'move'? Hard to believe this is one instance, perhaps the only, where windows is more intuitive than OSX.

I don't want to make a bigger deal out of this than it is because I don't move files around all that much but

when needed explorer can be easier to use for these actions than OSX, IMO.

No one is making a big deal out of anything, we are just having a friendly discussion.

But where did "intuitive" come from? We where talking about functionality.

What do you mean by "How is copy and paste more intuitive than just 'copy' or 'move'?"
  • Reply 128 of 137
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

No one is making a big deal out of anything, we are just having a friendly discussion.

But where did "intuitive" come from? We where talking about functionality.

What do you mean by "How is copy and paste more intuitive than just 'copy' or 'move'?"

Well I don't want to overstate the benefit of explorer over finder in the big picture. I didn't the discussion was getting angry or personal.

If you move a file in win, you click the file hit "move", then pick the location and it's done. With OSX you select the file hit copy from the menu bar(not necessary in win, all done in explorer) then got to the location and paste. I find it more cumbersome in OSX than windows.

My 2 cents
  • Reply 129 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

It's nice that you haven't had any difficulties with Finder. The problem is, a lot of people seem to have found a lot of inconsistencies and problems with the way it works, and it's often with the people that push finder farther, handle more files, with bigger projects and maybe more complex heirarchies. The fact that the current finder can't handle disconnects of network shares is a major one. If you never use network shares, then you would never see this. Another example, I never really touch metadata stuff, so difficulties in metadata handling would never become apparent to me, but would be apparent to someone that takes advantage of those features.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's nice that you haven't had any difficulties with Finder. The problem is, a lot of people seem to have found a lot of inconsistencies and problems with the way it works, and it's often with the people that push finder farther, handle more files, with bigger projects and maybe more complex heirarchies. The fact that the current finder can't handle disconnects of network shares is a major one. If you never use network shares, then you would never see this. Another example, I never really touch metadata stuff, so difficulties in metadata handling would never become apparent to me, but would be apparent to someone that takes advantage of those features.

If your that concerned about it send Apple an email about it. Use that page at Apple.com and tell them. Maybe they can fit in a few things before the finder goes gold master.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
  • Reply 131 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

If your that concerned about it send Apple an email about it. Use that page at Apple.com and tell them. Maybe they can fit in a few things before the finder goes gold master.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

For one, I think the problems are already well known to Apple, and another, they have actually gotten around to fixing the big ones for Leopard.
  • Reply 132 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

For one, I think the problems are already well known to Apple, and another, they have actually gotten around to fixing the big ones for Leopard.

Then pipe down Nancy.
  • Reply 133 of 137
    Quote:

Well I don't want to overstate the benefit of explorer over finder in the big picture. I didn't the discussion was getting angry or personal.

If you move a file in win, you click the file hit "move", then pick the location and it's done. With OSX you select the file hit copy from the menu bar(not necessary in win, all done in explorer) then got to the location and paste. I find it more cumbersome in OSX than windows.

My 2 cents

OK. I wasn't angry, I was just curious as to why you feel explore is better than the Finder. Now I see why, we have different work methods. I find it easier to just drag and drop a file. If I want to move a file, I can see the location of where I want to move the file to using the Finder's Column view, so I just pick it up and move it. As I said, I'm not saying you are wrong, I was just curious.
  • Reply 134 of 137
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I see nothing wrong with the finder UI wise.

Have you not seen any of those "What's wrong with the Finder?" threads? There's loads of stuff wrong with it.

Here's a list of twenty-two things wrong-with/that-could-be-improved-in the Finder.
  • Reply 135 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Have you not seen any of those "What's wrong with the Finder?" threads? There's loads of stuff wrong with it.

Here's a list of twenty-two things wrong-with/that-could-be-improved-in the Finder.

I couldn't get past #6 in that list before I decided some of it was ridiculous. Obviously the person that mentioned some of these things has never used the OS, and has no idea how it works.

Having a problem with the icons in the side view isn't a problem unless you assume that is the view function for the entire finder. And also, open all windows in column view works fine on my Mac. WTF are they talking about?
  • Reply 136 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

I couldn't get past #6 in that list before I decided some of it was ridiculous. Obviously the person that mentioned some of these things has never used the OS, and has no idea how it works.

Having a problem with the icons in the side view isn't a problem unless you assume that is the view function for the entire finder. And also, open all windows in column view works fine on my Mac. WTF are they talking about?

Apple loves you.

You're easy to please.
  • Reply 137 of 137
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

That person was me. Humour me. Try reading to the end. I would welcome any further comments you may have.

I've been a Mac user since 1993 and used Mac OS X since Developer Preview 3.

Quote:

Having a problem with the icons in the side view isn't a problem unless you assume that is the view function for the entire finder.

Um, what? I think you misunderstood. I'd like to be able to have only the icons showing in the sidebar, but that isn't workable as then eject buttons don't show up. With names showing, if you mount a volume with a name that's too long to show completely, the sidebar doesn't automatically re-size to show the full name. If you manually re-size it, it then doesn't go back to the original size when said volume is unmounted.

Quote:

And also, open all windows in column view works fine on my Mac. WTF are they talking about?

Good for you. It doesn't work properly on any of the Macs I've worked with, with 10.3 through 10.4.10. Yes, my own file structure most of the time shows in column view, but optical media and most disk images open in other views. Also, try doing a "show package contents" on an application - always opens in "standard" icon view for me if I've not done it before for that app.