Blackberry-type push email service?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Having automatic email checking in the background will put a drain on your battery. How much I couldn't say, but it is there.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

Having automatic email checking in the background will put a drain on your battery. How much I couldn't say, but it is there.

Why? As it stands today, the phone radio is always on and "listening" to the cell tower anyway.

By way of example, here's a summary of how Exchange ActiveSync works (from Steve Mattox's MSDN blog):

"One of the new features in Exchange 2003 is Exchange ActiveSync. Exchange ActiveSync allows you to synchronize your Windows Mobile 2003 Device with your Exchange mailbox over a wireless network without having to cradle the device. The Up-to-date (UTD) feature notifies the device if there is a new item in the Exchange mailbox and the device will automatically initiate a synchronization with you mailbox. This feature gives the user an always on and always current feeling. The other benefits of this feature are better device resource utilization, a more consistent user experience when compared to device expectancies and this operation is done in the background without the device turning itself on."

I don't think push email will burn through battery life any more than syncing every 15 minutes would. Besides, the iPhone already supports push email through Yahoo, right?

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

I don't think push email will burn through battery life any more than syncing every 15 minutes would. Besides, the iPhone already supports push email through Yahoo, right?

--DotComCTO

Agree'd. We have found through testing that when Active Sync it turned on we get better battery life than when set to do a pull every 15 minutes.