How safe are the Olympics in Beijing?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Beijing announced today that it will use rockets to prevent rainfall during the Olympics next year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070717/...nx3Z3DmDzMWM0F

This follows numerous reports of interesting concoctions making their way into the food chain and health-care products.

How safe are the Olympics going to be? Is anybody planning on going?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Olympics in Beijing, World cup in South Africa. . . This will be a few years of low attendance to major sporting events.

More of the problem with Beijing is that the air is so polluted that the endurance athletes will have a very difficult time.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Yeah, the air is pretty bad.

Bad air, bad water, bad food... wonder if there are any dangers in the construction of the facilities; they were behind schedule at one point and now they are finishing ahead of schedule (I think I read that somewhere).

What if no other countries decide to show up? China takes a clear sweep of gold, silver and bronze in every category, including reckless endangerment.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Olympics in Beijing, World cup in South Africa. . . This will be a few years of low attendance to major sporting events.

More of the problem with Beijing is that the air is so polluted that the endurance athletes will have a very difficult time.

You do realize that the government is literally shutting down factories near the Olympic facilities? This is really amazing.

If you were curious about China, or would like to see the most spectacular Olympics ever produced, I have a feeling this one will be the one to see in person.

As for the food, I can personally attest to the horrific taste of real Chinese food. It's amazing the population hasn't revolted.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You do realize that the government is literally shutting down factories near the Olympic facilities? This is really amazing.

If you were curious about China, or would like to see the most spectacular Olympics ever produced, I have a feeling this one will be the one to see in person.

Shutting down a few factories is like putting a band-aid on a gushing artery.

Whatever. I don't support China, so I won't be going. As for "the most spectacular olympics ever," I'd really have to care about that, too. The modern Olympics are a farce. Everyone is doping, and it's not exactly an amateur event. The Olympics are just another revenue-generating sports-entertainment event, which as far as I'm concerned is fine, but if I had to choose I'd rather go to the more honest Euro 2008. Nicer location, less to worry about, better athletes, more fun.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Shutting down a few factories is like putting a band-aid on a gushing artery.

Whatever. I don't support China, so I won't be going. As for "the most spectacular olympics ever," I'd really have to care about that, too. The modern Olympics are a farce. Everyone is doping, and it's not exactly an amateur event. The Olympics are just another revenue-generating sports-entertainment event, which as far as I'm concerned is fine, but if I had to choose I'd rather go to the more honest Euro 2008. Nicer location, less to worry about, better athletes, more fun.

AFAIK China has not been subject to terror events, so safety is not really an issue (other than concern about being run over by their nutjob drivers... which could also just as easily happen to you in Europe)...

Why play it safe? China is an amazing place to visit despite it's problems, and besides, I guarantee you it's nothing like what you think it is. Not by a long shot.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I'm pretty sure that the silver iodide is also going to be used to clean the air by washing the particulate matter out of the air.

@ splinemodel: they aren't closing down just a few factories, they're moving, AFAIK, at least 500 factories out of the Beijing area. And they're banning all motor traffic through the Olympic stadiums during the Olympics. So Beijing is really trying to look good for the Olympics.

I hope it goes well for Beijing, b/c w/o the Olympic boost, Beijing will have a really difficult time trying to catch up socially and environmentally.

If ur going, bring short-sleeve shirts, and don't drink the tap water (obviously).
  • Reply 7 of 25
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

As for the food, I can personally attest to the horrific taste of real Chinese food. It's amazing the population hasn't revolted.

You have to be kidding - I have only been to southern China, but the food there was fantastic. Also, Anthony Bourdain seems to have had a great time there eating on his travel show.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Chalk outline of someone run over by a Chinese tank in Tiananmen Square:

• Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

You have to be kidding - I have only been to southern China, but the food there was fantastic. Also, Anthony Bourdain seems to have had a great time there eating on his travel show.

Mr. Bourdain was not invited to the "wonderful" restaurants I visited. Absolutely stomach-curdling food.

General recommendation for Beijing visitors: Eat at your hotel. Don't drink anything but bottled water (also use the bottled water when you brush your teeth too). Keep a stash of energy bars and/or meal-replacement shakes to keep from losing too much weight.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

Chalk outline of someone run over by a Chinese tank in Tiananmen Square:

BRILLIANT!

• Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Why play it safe? China is an amazing place to visit despite it's problems, and besides, I guarantee you it's nothing like what you think it is. Not by a long shot.

I go there on business from time to time. I have not fallen in love with the place, if you haven't figured that out already. I have nothing against the Chinese people: just filthy Chinese cities, the fact that I cough-out goop for weeks after going there, and on top of that the oppressive Chinese government -- truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    The Chinese government is beginning to get serious... maybe:

Some companies are being forbidding from exporting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070720/...ALwK10Ikys0NUE
  • Reply 13 of 25
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

I go there on business from time to time. I have not fallen in love with the place, if you haven't figured that out already. I have nothing against the Chinese people: just filthy Chinese cities, the fact that I cough-out goop for weeks after going there, and on top of that the oppressive Chinese government -- truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.

OTOH, many large well respected US construction, infrastructure and environmental management companies are heavily involved in the construction and oversight of Olympic facilities, transportation sysytems(Beijing Transport) and air & water cleanup. Can you say Ka-Ching?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

OTOH, many large well respected US construction, infrastructure and environmental management companies are heavily involved in the construction and oversight of Olympic facilities, transportation sysytems(Beijing Transport) and air & water cleanup. Can you say Ka-Ching?

What does this have to do with any of my issues with China? In 30 years, it might be a great place. It's not there yet.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Chinese government is beginning to get serious... maybe:

Some companies are being forbidding from exporting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070720/...ALwK10Ikys0NUE

The thing about China... you never really know who is behind what company over there. It is one gigantic shell game.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

What does this have to do with any of my issues with China? In 30 years, it might be a great place. It's not there yet.

They're going to make the air quality much better before August of 2008. Count on it. The use of Cummins natural gas and "clean diesel" engine buses in Public transportation are already replacing most of the older polluting leaded gasoline and antiquated diesel engine buses.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

They're going to make the air quality much better before August of 2008. Count on it. The use of Cummins natural gas and "clean diesel" engine buses in Public transportation are already replacing most of the older polluting leaded gasoline and antiquated diesel engine buses.

Wow. That must account for their threefold rise in stock price (CMI) in 1 year... I'll look into this one more...
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Wow. That must account for their threefold rise in stock price (CMI) in 1 year... I'll look into this one more...

It's a great company and stock.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

That is pretty amazing. Might make going during the Olymipcs worthwhile even if you aren't really into the games.

Quote:

I've been told by some Chinese that the chinese food in Taiwan is better than in China because they have both traditional styles with far better ingredients (as in the ingredients in China are none too great) as well as fused a lot of cuisines from different parts of China. I guess a side-benefit of a bunch of refugees from all over.

Vinea
  • Reply 20 of 25
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

LOL...

Actually, the northern food (Pekingese) is pretty darned good... even the cheap stuff, which is mostly accented with pickled foods and vinegar.

Which is in contrast to southern food (Cantonese), which I hate. It's all smothered with oily sauces, no spices, no vinegar, and oil, oil, oil... oh, and way overcooked veggies.

Spicy Szechuan (Western Chinese) food is good.

You're in Hong Kong but hate cantonese food? That must suck a bit.

Vinea