Apple may turn iPods, iPhones into wireless iTunes remotes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabster View Post

Isn't Salling clicker doing roughly the same thing with phones and PDAs?

Yes, but with bluetooth so the chances of it working more than ten feet away are slim.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Yes, and the only apparent difference is that the (non-existant) wireless iPod and the iPhone are closed development platforms ... otherwise someone would've already done it (as they already have for other devices).

This is just the week of Apple applying for and getting patents for things that have already been invented years ago (at least as far as AppleInsider news goes). Is it just me or has Apple really started to reek of corporate greed over the past 6 months?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. has been working on technology that would allow both iPods and iPhones to act as wireless remote controls...

It's not so much a remote control, as it is putting a fully functional iTunes on the iPhone/iPod. This lets an iPhone user:

(a) browse shared iTunes libraries

(b) share his mobile library with other iTunes users

(c) send sound to a remote airtunes device

Furthermore, iTunes + AppleTV may be enhanced so movies may be sent to a remote AppleTV, turning the AppleTV into an "A/V Airtunes".
  • Reply 24 of 31
    jkovachjkovach Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba451 View Post

otherwise require the purchase of specialized equipment such as zone controller units and zone players.

(emphasis mine). That's an interesting choice of terms, given that those are the names of the components of a Sonos system.

I have a Sonos setup at home. It's expensive, and has its own share of flaws, but is a great way to listen to music. I'd love to see a remote with cover flow, like what a (next gen) iPod might provide.

As a Sonos owner as well, I thought the same thing when reading this. The only issues I've had with my Sonos/iTunes implementation were actually issues with how iTunes stores it's Music Library xml file on my NAS, not the Sonos itself. Also, I'd like Sonos to start playing Podcasts where I left off in iTunes rather than at the beginning, but I knew that was out going in.

I love my Sonos system, and if Apple can replicate it's ease of use and rock-solid stability (YMMV) then they'd have a winner on their hands. Add video distribution and it sweetens the pot. I doubt that Apple would implement a lot of the items Sonos has though...Rhapsody and Pandora via the controller and I'm sure FLAC is out...the splash resistant controller is handy in the kitchen - although the screen is lacking now that I have my iPhone .
  • Reply 25 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grifmx View Post

I used to be a fan of Bose (901's, 802's, etc.) and they still come out with some pretty cool stuff. One year ago I finally sat down and watched their home media demonstration.

The problem with Bose is their "scientific research" BS front, their hi-pressure demonstration & purchase sale technique, and their amazingly hi prices.

Also, their incredibly low fidelity.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

what apple really needs is to open the phone or future video iPod to 3rd party developers. there is absolutely no way that they are going to be able to satisfy all people with a single application. Apple does a good job of making single user / single zone media apps, but they have no historical expertise in the more traditional multi-zone systems. they also don't have historical expertise in mobile phones either, but they did a relatively decent job with their 1.0 effort, so i'm definitely not counting them out of the picture.

That, and IR.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    tsvissertsvisser Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That, and IR.

could easily be done with something like what the Pronto is using with its new ethernet capable touchscreen remote or 3rd party products like Global Cache... with ethernet to RS-232 and IR bridges. if you look at the remotecentral website, there must be around 30,000+ IR drivers for the different consumer electronic devices out there. the problem with dealing with the home remote controls, is that the CE devices can be so flaky... getting all the devices to work together can be a challenge and the support infrastructure required can be daunting. why do you think the Apple TV remote only has Apple commands on it and not the ability to control other manufacturer's TVs? even if they had perfect programmable remote control capabilities, the number of calls they would get with people complaining to them about non-Apple products (their philips and sanyo TVs), is probably more than they want to get into right now.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

could easily be done with something like what the Pronto is using with its new ethernet capable touchscreen remote or 3rd party products like Global Cache... with ethernet to RS-232 and IR bridges. if you look at the remotecentral website, there must be around 30,000+ IR drivers for the different consumer electronic devices out there. the problem with dealing with the home remote controls, is that the CE devices can be so flaky... getting all the devices to work together can be a challenge and the support infrastructure required can be daunting. why do you think the Apple TV remote only has Apple commands on it and not the ability to control other manufacturer's TVs? even if they had perfect programmable remote control capabilities, the number of calls they would get with people complaining to them about non-Apple products (their philips and sanyo TVs), is probably more than they want to get into right now.

While I haven't used one, there are several remote software programs available for my Treo. It's the IR that makes it easy. WiFi is nice, but it then REQUIRES the computer network.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Yeah, Salling Clicker is great. You can control more than just music. Romeo works pretty good too.

Quote:

Oh yeah, for the guy who thinks Salling Clicker only works over BT is wrong. They've added WiFi support.

"Salling Clicker works wirelessly over both Bluetooth and WiFi. Either way, it's a matter of simply selecting the computer to control. If you own a Symbian or Windows Mobile device, we think you're really going to like how Salling Clicker 3.5 automatically finds all computers running Salling Clicker on your network: just select to connect."
  • Reply 30 of 31
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I was thinking man, I wish my universal remote had the same UI as the iPhone. Maybe I won't be disappointed yet!
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

You can do that already on any phone that supports VNC including in a roundabout way the iPhone. Seems like overkill to me though. It just needs a remote iTunes controller that works over Bonjour and wifi. These are ten a penny for controlling iTunes from another Mac already.

The other way would be via Safari on the iPhone. Browse to a web application running on your local Mac and interface with iTunes with Applescript.

As a side point, when are we getting a new Airport Express???? Mine went pop a month or so back and I miss it but I'm not buying another till the add 802.11n

Whoa...whoa... hold on! Having full iTunes funtionality (including searches) and mirrored appearence on a iPhone would be the holy grail for me. You seem to speak of it as something that's common knowledge.

Can you help a brother out and spell it out for me? (I don't think I'm dumb, just a little under-educated in this topic...)

Thanks!