Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 125
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

If this is true, they just spit in the face of Apples' most loyal customers.

1) In what way? And, even then, given Apple's prior history in doing something like this, why did those customers buy?

2) Customers could consider becoming shareholders.

Overall, this is just some inherent creative destruction...... (at a tad fast clip, though).
  • Reply 22 of 125
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I love this part:

Quote:

in which a staggering array of gadgets from the Cupertino-based firm is expected to leave would-be rivals confused and unable to react.

But hopefully it's not a repeat of "shock and awe" -

This makes more sense then some other stories about this phone, except for the rotary thing which I think is a decoy. I can picture a wafer thin nano-like device with full screen display and iPhone like gestures. Minus the wifi maybe. But with iPod features like the current nano and perhaps video.

I like the really thin form factor of the nano and it's rounded edges. But I don't know how small a phone radio can be.

Finally, I'd say Apple competitors are already confused. They (the competition) just don't get it. They're like the American car makers who keep cranking out ugly bulky boring cars of yesteryear while the Europeans and Japanese and just about everyone else get more stylish and nimble. With Apple a lot of the magic is marketing. But they've also delivered goods that shame the rest.
  • Reply 23 of 125
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Uhh... am I missing something?

I come to this site to get dirt, not read regurgitated analyst reports.

I'm not saying I believe this necsisarily... just that it's nice to read a RUMOR once in a while.

Gets my tech-lust blood flowing again.

-Clive

Heh, heh. I understand, but it was a humorous choice of words.
  • Reply 24 of 125
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Ummm, I guess that's cool, but since when did apple become nokia? I want to see some goddamn MACS.
  • Reply 25 of 125
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Er.. how so?
  • Reply 26 of 125
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    1) I think this device sounds great. I really want a device for my Mom who can't really use a cell phone but who could benefit from syncing and keeps asking for an ipod. she would never want the iphone, but something smaller simpler that is phone + ipod would be great.

2) I think even the iPhone could be sold thru a much wider channel. the activation strategy really allows anyone to sell it, even give it as a gift...

3) I don't think loyal customers will be bothered much, most of them want the full function iphone anyway.

4) I hope it is not the UI shown in that patent, that seemed rather painful.
  • Reply 27 of 125
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I don't know, I kinda already feel like the iPhone is an iPod with rudimentary phone features. It was the other features that sold me on the iPhone, but the phone part still feels a bit tacked on to me.
  • Reply 28 of 125
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Further details will be published if and when information becomes available.

As opposed to what? Shutting AI down and starting a knitting blog?
  • Reply 29 of 125
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

As opposed to what? Shutting AI down and starting a knitting blog?

Well, normally they say "We'll never mention this again" at the bottom of their articles A knitting blog would be interesting though

http://www.alternativeknitting.co.uk/
  • Reply 30 of 125
    dzigndzign Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xolox View Post

What about a launch in Canada? I hope this happens within the next few months

Personnally, I hope this happens in the next few DAYS !

Wake up Rogers and give us some half-decent pricing to go with it...

http://www.petitiononline.com/iPhone99/petition.html
  • Reply 31 of 125
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    well I meant that the iphone has like several major functions to it, internet, email, ipod, phone. she does not need all that but it would be nice to have a better UI for her than the typical phone.
  • Reply 32 of 125
    biggsjmbiggsjm Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

so if it's technically not the iPhone that was launched in June, do ALL future (within 5 yrs) Apple cell-phone based products remain under the evil empire of AT&T? Even if it's a smaller/cheaper grade of phone?

Why is AT&T an 'evil empire'?

the "new" AT&T is nothing but four original RBOCs (Soutwestern Bell, Pacific Bell, South Central Bell and Ameritech).

Many don't realize this, but Verizon was part of the "Evil Empire" once too. They were an RBOC (regional bell operating company).

The AT&T that you are referring to (the one that was broken up in 1984) died a slow an painful death. Its demise was final when SBC purchased it in 2003.

I don't think any one of the 4 major Wireless providers is necessarily bad or good. But to the point of Apple working with one of them, I doubt they would release a CDMA-based phone when 95% of the world is on GSM. So that leaves out Sprint and Verizon.
  • Reply 33 of 125
    If this was true, then .... Where is the FCC filling?
  • Reply 34 of 125
    aross99aross99 Posts: 95member
    Apple would sell a TON of these. My kids would be all over getting a phone that would play their iTunes music, and eliminate their need to carry around two devices. They don't care about the extra internet access features, and a lower cost would make it much more attractive.

Get the cost closer to the cost for a video iPod and I think you would have a run away hit.

Better address the txt messaging issues first though (lack of MMS, no repeating alerts for missed messages, etc)...
  • Reply 35 of 125
    I don't believe it. Taking features away from the current model may drop the price marketing wise sufficiently for the masses, however it would seriously reduce its apeal.

I go with them releasing an even better iPhone with video recording capabilities, a camera in the front with higher resolution, GPS, more software applications and the option of turning on a new G3 network chip. This at the same price as the current iPhone.

The current iPhone then becomes the iPhone of the masses at a $150 to $200 price drop.

Maybe my brain is twisted, but this sounds like a more likely approach to spark additional sales both at the high end and the low end.
  • Reply 36 of 125
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Nice reaction. Some folks want a nice phone and audio/video device. Others want a portable laptop in the palm of their hands that is a phone, audio/video player.

It's smart.
  • Reply 37 of 125
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I didn't even realise that the iPhone had "several" approvals to go through. Does this mean that some of the required approvals did take five months and some didn't? Seems to me that the so-called iPhone nano would have to go through the same process. Unless you're saying that Apple didn't submit the iPhone for FCC approval until March, I don't see your point.

The FCC also agrees to keep certain things private until the product is launched or about to be launched. There could be evaluation processes underway that have not been disclosed.
  • Reply 38 of 125
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Still.. I don't see Apple releasing 2 similar products with 2 different ways to make a call (touch-screen dial pad vs touch-screen scroll wheel).
  • Reply 39 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

You're a little late on this rumor. Reuters started circulating it on July 9. It's been pretty firmly quashed by now.

NEW YORK, July 9 (Reuters) - Apple Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) plans to launch a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter that could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player, according to a JP Morgan report.

It has neither been confirmed nor quashed. A JP Morgan overseas analyst made the prediction; JP Morgan US HQ said they did not agree. Because of JP Morgan's overall reputation, even the ramblings of a rogue analyst have been taken seriously and widely reported. More reported, actually, than the subsequent retraction from HQ.
  • Reply 40 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Still.. I don't see Apple releasing 2 similar products with 2 different ways to make a call (touch-screen dial pad vs touch-screen scroll wheel).

The light-feedback scroll wheel patent looks very cool - a comet trail of light dissapearing behind your finger as it circles around. It's the same kind of cool that made the original Nano such a hit.

It's possible that an iPhone Nano would rely exclusively on this type of UI; the more complete iPhone might have an option to go back and forth between the standard keypad and the wheel.