Thinking of converting, need to know the facts

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I'm headed for college soon, and I'm in the market for a new notebook. I've been a Windows guy all my life, but I'm hesitant to switch to Vista. I've tried posting on other tech forums, but all the PC users smear the threads with unfounded points.

So I'm wondering, honestly, what are the pros and cons of using a Mac? Is it worth the extra money, especially since the entry level MacBook is pretty expensive for the specs. Hopefully some other people who've converted can tell me what their experience has been like.

One specific question I have is how well Macs can connect to non-Mac (not the Airports, but something like Linksys or whatever they use at wi-fi hotspots) wireless networks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Just in case you don't know this, Macs run Windows XP, Vista and multiple Linux distros perfectly so if there was a need to switch back, you could.

The entry level Macbook is not at all expensive for the specs, when you consider the weight and size. (Look at Lenovo Thinkpad X60, for instance.)

An increasing number of people actually buy the Macbook Pros meaning to use them primarily in Windows. The level of standardization in Apple stuff (only a couple hardware models) results in the Windows drivers being really solid, unlike in lots of consumer class hardware.

As for the software, I have a background of using DOS, then Windows for 10+ years, and some other operating systems at my school. It took a few weeks of use before I could do everything faster on OS X than on Windows. The thing about OS X is that it combines ease of use - like Windows but easier - and power. Most of the same tools are available than for Linux. It's an excellent development platform.

Nowadays, when someone comes to me asking for a computer recommendation, the flowchart goes like this:

Is gaming important to you? Do you need CAD software for work on a regular basis?

No -> get a Mac.

Yes -> don't get a Mac.

Macs tend to connect to wireless things a lot easier.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    on a side note:

how long to macs tend to last (specifically Macbooks)?

how resistant are Macs to fragmentation?

is there much free software for macs? or do you often have to pay when you need a software solution?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Hey, welcome.

At the moment, the MacBook is not the best value proposition as far as Apple laptops go - it's not at all a bad machine, but if you're looking for up-to-date tech, look at the MacBook Pros. Happily, since they upped the standard RAM on those machines, the base models are perfectly acceptable without any further upgrades.

Macs also come with a good deal of included software that most PCs can't match, except in the form of bloatware. Then there's the ease-of-use, etc etc. You can always boot into XP/Vista if you feel out of your element, but it's definitely worthwhile to learn to use the Mac OS. You'll likely find yourself being much more efficient in the end.

Wireless networks pose no problems - it's all standardized. What you're really paying for with the Mac is the OS, the aesthetics, and the overall build quality.

edit: I've had my Macbook since they launched (May 2006) and it's in perfect condition, aside from a bit of dirt staining around the palmrest because I'm gross. But everything else is tickity-boo. No hardware or case issues to speak of, keyboard works like new, etc. Like any computer, though, your experience may vary.

From what I've read, the Mac OS does minor background defrag pretty constantly, and so you should never have a reason to defragment your hard drive. This is evidenced by how hard it is to actually find a good defrag tool for the Mac.

There's quite a bit of free software for the Mac, and even more fantastic Shareware, generally by small developers for pretty reasonable amounts of money. I can't think of anything I've wanted on this machine that I haven't been able to find. I don't touch my PC anymore except to play Counterstrike: Source.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

At the moment, the MacBook is not the best value proposition as far as Apple laptops go .

Debatable IMO. Look beyond the specs to the bundles software. Not a bad value when you consider that for most uses, it is probably within 10% performance wise to the entry level MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Debatable IMO. Look beyond the specs to the bundles software. Not a bad value when you consider that for most uses, it is probably within 10% performance wise to the entry level MBP.

Well, the Pro gives you a larger screen, Santa Rosa (which offers very significant speed increases even at the same clock speed), 2GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card, which put it over the top as far as I'm concerned. But it does come down to individual need.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Well, the Pro gives you ........, Santa Rosa (which offers very significant speed increases even at the same clock speed), 2GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card, which put it over the top as far as I'm concerned. But it does come down to individual need.

Not true, the bold part anyway. The other points are well taken. But for an entry level Mac the MB is pretty strong as long as you're not a gamer. There it sucks due to the integrated graphics.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Not true, the bold part anyway. The other points are well taken. But for an entry level Mac the MB is pretty strong as long as you're not a gamer. There it sucks due to the integrated graphics.

Point taken.

So, larger screen, more RAM, LED backlighting and better battery life, slightly better CPU performance, and vastly better 3D performance. Whether that's worth the extra $700 is up to you.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    How well does the entry-level MacBook handle all of OSX's animations and flashy icons? Will it be ready for the upcoming Leopard update?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slickhare View Post

How well does the entry-level MacBook handle all of OSX's animations and flashy icons? Will it be ready for the upcoming Leopard update?

My brother in law has a MB and it runs Tiger just fine. While I can't from experience with the Leopard Beat that it runs fine on a MB, I think you can be virtually assured that it will. The MB is Apple's best selling computer, why would they piss off all those users? Apple will want it to run well on a MB, because it will want those users to upgrade. G4 Macs may not run well on Leopard but I think all intel Macs will run it just fine.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I tend to agree, but the MacBook Pro is probably the safer bet.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    It's easy to overestimate the importance of stock RAM and HD, considering how cheap they are to swap later. Refurb/special offer/used markets are definitely worth consideration with Apple laptops.

I found a C2D Macbook three months used with 2GB of aftermarket RAM already added. Paid 750?. I'll put in a 160GB 7200rpm drive at some point, so figure 900? total. A new Macbook is 1100? and a new MBP is 2000?.. and the hard drives in the default configs aren't anywhere near as good. I doubt I could have gotten a MBP of equal age and zero wear at 1800?. So in this instance the Macbook cost half as much as a MBP, and the only thing I'd want from the MBP is the graphics. (Smaller screen is better on the go as it translates to smaller computer to carry, and on the desktop I'm using a HD external screen and the laptop is in clamshell mode.)

Although the Macbook graphics aren't anything to write home about, I note the cost difference in my case is enough to self-build a separate Windows desktop with Geforce 8800 graphics and a Core 2 Duo.

The MBP is a good value, but it's more specialized. Folks should buy it when they need full graphics power and a large screen on the go. Otherwise Macbook trounces it. The MBP grows a little more attractive if you aren't comfortable with swapping memory and HD on the Macbook - both are easy to do though. MBP itself is not designed to allow HD to be swapped easily.

And yes, the Macbook runs Tiger just fine. There's no reason why it would run Leopard worse. OS X upgrades have typically ran a little bit faster than the previous version.

The only paid-for software on my Mac is OmniOutliner and some Blizzard games. Everything else I use is either free or made by Apple and paid for in the price of the hardware and the OS. Some stuff that I use on a regular basis: Adium, Vim, Quicksilver, Safari, Mail, iTunes, iPhoto, Thunderbird, VLC Player, Transmission, Aurora.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Cad work needs a good video and the low end gma 950 in the macbook is to weak and it uses system ram.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Well said Gon.

I have a Core 2 MBP. I love it but I'm addicted to COD 2. I gotta have the graphics card.

That said the MB is a great value IMO. For someone whose just starting getting into Macs, it's probably the way to go.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    If the MB had an expresscard slot and Santa Rosa it would be perfect for an entry level Mac notebook (this generation anyway).

Vinea
  • Reply 15 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Look 'slickhare'.. all you need to know is three things.

You wont need to buy any antivirus software. Macs are very stable. They are also easy-to-use. It's not a should issue, but a why not issue. And it's not a should issue, but a when issue.

And Lord knows, if you really want to use Windows for whatever reason, then you can just boot on over. And then, boot on back
  • Reply 16 of 26
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

So I'm headed for college soon, and I'm in the market for a new notebook. I've been a Windows guy all my life, but I'm hesitant to switch to Vista. I've tried posting on other tech forums, but all the PC users smear the threads with unfounded points.

usually tech forums do get their fair share of fan boys who are ignorant of the other side.

Quote:

So I'm wondering, honestly, what are the pros and cons of using a Mac? Is it worth the extra money, especially since the entry level MacBook is pretty expensive for the specs. Hopefully some other people who've converted can tell me what their experience has been like.

Operating system:

Pros:

-Much better designed operating system and software.

-OS very rarely has any kind of problems

Cons:

-No word processor/ light works suite standard. Pages in Apple's $80 iWork suite is much better as a page layout app than a word processor

-Missing some media center functionality compared to windows.

-Apps can be a little hard to get to for those used to the start menu (yes guys, I know about dragging the applications folder to the dock, this switcher does not)

Hardware:

Pros:

Easy to carry compared to 6.5lbs 15" notebooks

Fast CPU for price.

Cons:

Pretty expensive for entry level

Screen may be too small for those wanting a general purpose notebook

Slow GMA graphics.

Slot loading drive incompatible with 3.5" camcorder DVDs

Flash card slots sacrificed for vanity

No expresscard slot.

Apple's limited hardware selection and some strong biases can give its excellent operating system some trouble sometimes, but I think the benefits outweigh everything else.

Quote:

One specific question I have is how well Macs can connect to non-Mac (not the Airports, but something like Linksys or whatever they use at wi-fi hotspots) wireless networks?

I have never not been able to connect to a network with my iBook. It will automatically search for networks and ask if you want to join.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

One thing to consider.

You should compare the price of the macbook that you want vs the leftover models of the previous generation of MacBook Pros. I know the two higher cost Macbooks cost 1300 and 1500 dollars. Well, I Just bought (with rebates) a brand new MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz for 1550 which also comes with a free notebook case and a free printer (depending on the model you choose) in addition to free shipping and a 144 savings from not paying any taxes.

This site does a fairly good job of tracking prices.

http://www.pcprices.net/macbookpro.shtml

I used it when I was looking up a place to purchase my computer.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Well i'm pretty much sold, so I'll be converting soon if all goes well. but I have one more question:

How easy is it to clean up OSX? I'm not sure about the technical terms to describe what i'm talking about but i'll try and explain. In Windows, when you uninstall something, or delete a file, it's not quite gone, little remnants of the files and/or program linger on your system, clogging up your harddrive over time, and also the system fragments as you try and delete files to clean up your system. So in OSX, does Delete really mean Delete? or do you have to go into some subfolder hidden deep in your system to clean out everything? or does OSX run cleaner?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Well i'm pretty much sold, so I'll be converting soon if all goes well. but I have one more question:

How easy is it to clean up OSX? I'm not sure about the technical terms to describe what i'm talking about but i'll try and explain. In Windows, when you uninstall something, or delete a file, it's not quite gone, little remnants of the files and/or program linger on your system, clogging up your harddrive over time, and also the system fragments as you try and delete files to clean up your system. So in OSX, does Delete really mean Delete? or do you have to go into some subfolder hidden deep in your system to clean out everything? or does OSX run cleaner?

You can just drag files to the trash, empty and they are gone. To delete an app you drag the apps icon to the trash. Apps are slightly different in that a .plist or property list file remains. These files are used to store user preferences. So if you ever decide to install the same app on the same computer again you can have the same settings as before with no effort. The data they take up isn't worth ever thinking about. Although if you really want them gone you can go get them too. There's a few apps out there for about $12 that can do all this automatically, and personally I do use AppZapper. Defragging? What's that?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Even if uninstall is a simple drag in the Trash, you don't need to uninstall stuff as often in OS X.

If an application manages to get itself in really bad shape by itself, or if you use plugins and addons on it, and adding those things messes it up - I mean a situation like where it crashes as you start it, so you can't fix the settings back - it is easy to go in your Library which holds all your settings and destroy all that app's settings. Next time you start up the app, it sees there are no settings files, so it creates default ones and for all purposes it's like you just installed that app. With rare exceptions, you can just as easily move the settings on OS X between different computers and they work.

Also, one app on OS X does not mess up another app. Windows apps can do that by overwriting one another's DLL files among Windows system files and it's also possible for them to corrupt the main Windows registry, though I don't know how that happens.