iPhone Review Series: iPhone vs. BlackBerry 8700

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    I am sorry but i just do not get the point of this article, you are comparing a phone designed for consumer use with a phone designed for business use. The excuse that it is designed to help people who may be thinking of migrating from a blackberry 8700 to an iPhone has overlooked one very important thing...

The vast majority of blacberry customers are corporate customers and the majority of these people do not supply their own phones but use work supplied blackberry. The people responsible for purchasing decisions with regard to the corporate communciations portfolio are extremely unlikely to be buying an iphone to replace Blackberry, not for a long time yet anyway.

The only people who are likely to move from Blackberry to iPhone are the people who own one for personal use or are self employed, this is a small proportion of Blackberry users.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Actually, you can mod the Jetta to have all those things.

Unfortunately, I fried my iPhone when trying to weld the steering wheel on. However, it did function quite well with a 2.5-liter engine stuck to its back.

I hope it is running on unleaded! Apple have a greener image to maintain now, you know...
  • Reply 43 of 90
    The one issue that was not addressed in the otherwise good review was audio quality of the iphone vs. the blackberry? Doesn't anyone use cellphones to talk anymore? And what about Verizon vs. AT&T service? I have used Sprint and AT&T with a Treo and I find the Sprint service (which is often badmouthed) to be of better quality and consistency than AT&T.

Acousticat from NJ
  • Reply 44 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anawrahta View Post

How is lengthy amounts of typing on the iPhone compared to your BB???

Not at issue. Typing on the iPhone is a breeze after a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

How is lengthy amounts of typing on the iPhone compared to your BB???

I think there will always be differing opinions on this type of thing based on personal preference and what certain people become used to. I think typing long messages on the T-Mobile Sidekick with its horizontal keyboard is easier than typing long messages on vertical keyboards. But once you've used the vertical keyboard long enough you get used to it.

With the iPhone its easier to type long messages in the horizontal keyboard. In this mode the buttons are larger than they are on the Blackberry. At this point I can type horizontally without looking at the keyboard because the keys are always in the same place. The vertical keyboard is more difficult because the buttons are smaller. Since you cannot feel the button you have to be more purposeful about your target. The letter you hit flashes above your finger you can always see if you hit the right or wrong letter.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not at issue. Typing on the iPhone is a breeze after a couple of weeks.

User experiences will vary, but I played with an iPhone for a few minutes and almost instantly felt at home with the "keyboard". It's much better for me than just about any other handheld device (save for game units like GBA) because the keys aren't so freaking stiff. Hopefully v.2 will be available by the time I can justify buying one.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:

Hopefully v.2 will be available by the time I can justify buying one.

Lately when I've heard people say this I ask them what would they want in the second version. Since the entire UI is software there is little they could add to v.2 that they could not add now.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acousticat View Post

The one issue that was not addressed in the otherwise good review was audio quality of the iphone vs. the blackberry? Doesn't anyone use cellphones to talk anymore? And what about Verizon vs. AT&T service? I have used Sprint and AT&T with a Treo and I find the Sprint service (which is often badmouthed) to be of better quality and consistency than AT&T.

Acousticat from NJ

The audio quality is equal between the phones if you ask me. I wish both of them had a louder ear piece though (I am around loud noises during parts of the days).

If you mean Service by how they treat me, they are the same but it seems I can get in and out of the AT&T store faster. Verizon is king in my region so Service as in coverage area AT&T is behind.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This can depend on a few factors. Was the iPhone using EDGE or WiFi? Was the web page already cached in your Treo?

But lets say it is true and the Treo's browser is currently faster than Safari on iPhone. The advantage of the iPhone is that this is just the beginning. There is a tremendous amount of development going into Webkit and Safari on iPhone will be improved.

The iPhone was using EDGE, which was the purpose of the comparison. As EDGE is about as available as 3G on my Sprint service, anything else wouldn't be meaningful. WiFi is far too spotty to be generally useful. Not cached, a new page for both. Besides a cached page is an old page.

I'm not saying that there won't be improvements on the iPhone. I've continually said otherwise.

But we have to compare what we have now, not what might be here sometime down the road. After all, wireless services will be hitting several hundred Mb/s, we surely can't compare a service today to that either.

As you've read, I'm waiting untol 3G and official support for third party software is available for the iPhone. Sure, I'd love GPS as well.

I agree that this is an evolving project. But, we all have our requirements. They are valid for everyone, no matter what they may be.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Good point.

It's actually still valid.

If the 150kb/s (max) service is about equal to the 800kb/s (max) service in a number of attempts, then you know that there is a good possibility that it is doing well, whereas the "faster" service isn't.

If the faster service is noticeably faster, then you can see the difference when conditions are more favorable to the faster service, if the slower one is performing as fast as you've experienced it to be.

The same thing would be true from the same carrier. The 3G and slower services are running on different hardware (on the carrier end), using different software. The carrier might have good speeds on one of those services, and good coverage, but poor service on the other service, as well as poor service.

Performing well on one doesn't mean that performance on the other is automatically equal, and often isn't.

All that you can do is to try it a number of times, and see what happens.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:

Lately when I've heard people say this I ask them what would they want in the second version. Since the entire UI is software there is little they could add to v.2 that they could not add now.

I don't understand that Teno. Are you saying that Apple can't add more to a v.2 than they could add to this, as far as software goes?
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:

Are you saying that Apple can't add more to a v.2 than they could add to this, as far as software goes?

The only natural way I can see software being added to v.2 that could not be added to v.1 would be because of additional hardware: GPS, video recording.

With all hardware being equal the only reason I can see v.2 getting software that v.1 doesn't is an artificial way to sell v.2.

Apple could do this but it doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:

The only natural way I can see software being added to v.2 that could not be added to v.1 would be because of additional hardware: GPS, video recording.

With all hardware being equal the only reason I can see v.2 getting software that v.1 doesn't is an artificial way to sell v.2.

Apple could do this but it doesn't make much sense.

If v 2 is an OS upgrade, as we get with our computer OS, tgen extra abilities could make much improved, or new software possible.

After all, software that exists now, in some cases, couldn't be written for earlier versions of the OS, or, at least, the superior features wouldn't be there.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:

If v 2 is an OS upgrade

What would prevent an OS upgrade in v.1?
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:

What would prevent an OS upgrade in v.1?

I'm a bit confused here.

My assumption was that, from what you were saying, that v1 and v2 referred to OS upgrades, not device upgrades.

You were talking about the hardware being equal in the v1 and v2. That doesn't leave any room for change in the hardware, so you must have been talking about software.

If not, I really don't see how we can have a v2 phone without, as you said:

Quote:

additional hardware

But, then you said:

Quote:

With all hardware being equal

It wouldn't be a v2 device if that were true. It would be the exact same device.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:

It wouldn't be a v2 device if that were true. It would be the exact same device.

That's essentially the crux of my point. The majority of iPhone's functionality is software. Without significant hardware changes there is little a v.2 could do that v.1 could not do with a software upgrade.

Without hardware changes the only reason v.2 would come with software that v.1 does not is to purely make a v.2. Without hardware changes v.1 and v.2 are the exact same device with v.2 having newer software. Apple will have only created an artificial barrier to have a v.2. Which makes little sense.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:

That's essentially the crux of my point. The majority of iPhone's functionality is software. Without significant hardware changes there is little a v.2 could do that v.1 could not do with a software upgrade.

Without hardware changes the only reason v.2 would come with software that v.1 does not is to purely make a v.2. Without hardware changes v.1 and v.2 are the exact same device with v.2 having newer software. Apple will have only created an artificial barrier to have a v.2. Which makes little sense.

My understanding of Apple's policy for the iPhone, is to update, or upgrade the software, I would imagine, including the OS, to, as they said, add features, fix bugs, etc.

You don't have to upgrade the hardware to do that.

In most phones with a touch keyboard, the keyboard is fixed, it can't be changed.

But Apple can look at how people are reacting, and re-do it if they wish. Going to horizontal in all programs. That would be adding a feature.

Obviously, features that require new hardware can't be added to older models, just like computers, but otherwise, sure.

Apple could add target disk functions like the iPods have now. There could be any number of things the hardware supports that Apple hasn't supported as yet. We don't know.

Just remember that newer OS's add functionality to current hardware.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    This is THE comparison that so many of us Blackberry users were hoping for.

Thank you for a detailed, careful analysis.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    We have to admit that is the first of a kind, and nobody is perfect. So iPhone still will shake the World, no doubt...Blackberry is great, functionality is amazing, but Apple is Apple, The name speaks for itself, i choose Apple iPhone...
  • Reply 60 of 90
    alek_2alek_2 Posts: 21member
    iPhone is version 1.0 and for that only is a fenomenal product; If they improve it over time

like an iPod it is really going to kill all over the world. Right now I rather opt for Blackberry - you can take it literally anywhere and have your email delivered realtime...