AT&T: 146,000 Apple iPhones activated in first two days

Comments

• Reply 101 of 132
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    No matter what your position on the recent iPhone"math" and the company in general, listen to the conference call today at 5pm EDT (2pm PDT).

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq307/

For those who have never listened to a CC, it is a real education. In Apple's case, It is highly structured and well orchestrated. If it goes as usual, Peter Oppenheimer , Chief Financial Officer, will lead the call with assistance from Tim Cook, Chief Operating Officer and other lower ranking employees. Do not expect SJ to be on the call. For large companies, it would be highly unusual for the CEO to be part of the presentation. . The key analyst consensus numbers are : Top line revenue of $5.32 billion, bottom line profits of $654 million, or 72 cents a share. After going through the quarterly financials in detail a Q&A period will follow wherein selected analysts can ask questions, usually by phone. Some will ask "puff ball" questions while others will ask tough ones that may or may not be answered fully. Apple typically provides little, vague or no guidance for upcoming quarters i.e. they practice UPOD, Under promise & over deliver. Some analysts may try hard to force Peter and Tim to predict upcoming sales in different categories, for example, iPhone sales in the UK next December (yeah, good luck with that one).

If you miss the CC, the webcast requiring Quick time will be available on the Apple site afterwards.

EDIT: As of 8:30 am, AAPL looks to open @ about $138.
  • Reply 102 of 132
    The trading in AAPL is fast and furiuos in early morning trading. Huge volume and lots of 1000+ block trades. Fasten your seat belts as this is going to be a wild ride today culminating with the conference call.
  • Reply 103 of 132
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

As Q2 only had 30 iPhone selling/activation "hours", 146.000 in 30 hours equals a rate of 1.35 iPhone activations per second!

If they continue at this rate. Q3 will sport an amazing number of 10.5 Million iPhone activations and that would mean the goal for the end of 2008 is already reached.

I would say these numbers are already very impressive.

Why not just use the first hour or so, when 50% of the total was probably sold to everyone waiting in line? Say, 50,000 in the first hour. That works out to 13 per second! At this rate, they sold 100 million iPhones in Q3! Wooohooooo!
  • Reply 104 of 132
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb;

Nice maths, i am sure on your planet that all makes complete sense.

However those of us on Earth would understand that the huge demand in sales during the first week were mostly caused by Apple Fanboys who bought the phone without waiting to see how good it actually was or performed and would have queued all night to buy a empty box if it had an Apple logo imprinted on it. It is natural that after the first week and all the excitment has died down that sales would return to normal. Your calculations have totally failed to take this into consideration.

I would imagine that if they managed 150k activations in the first 2 days, they may well have got through another 300k the following week, I would see that figure drop dramaticly after that, maybe even 50k a week would be more likely.

The Math was done just to give you marsians an idea of the performance in the first 30 hours. Of course it will go down in the weeks that follow, but one million in the next quarter should be possible
  • Reply 105 of 132
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

The Math was done just to give you marsians an idea of the performance in the first 30 hours. Of course it will go down in the weeks that follow, but one million in the next quarter should be possible

Martians has a T, not an S.

And did you think anyone didn't understand that even 100,000 iPhones in the first two days is a lot?
  • Reply 106 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

No matter what your position on the recent iPhone "math"...

Believe it or not, the word "maths" is also correct, but not recognized as such in the US.
  • Reply 107 of 132
    Although Apple is amortizing the iPhone revenue over 24 months, I assume they will recognize immediately the income from accessories purchased with the iPhone such as cases, headphone adapters, etc.

Also although they recognize the revneue over 24 months, that is another $250M sitting in the bank earning interest.

Eventually they will start selling iPhone in Canada / Europe / South America / Asia. More revenue.

Also I would expect an uptick in revenue from the iTunes store, esp for video from both iPhone and AppleTV. More revenue. ( I know that I have personnally started making video purchased recently.)

I assume Apple will eventually come out with games for the iPhone and ringtones. They've got 500,000+ iPhone users who would probably spend $5/per game.

Some percentage of new iPhone users may buy a Mac.

Also, when Leopard comes out, that revenue should go straight to the bottom line.

With more stores opening and leveraging BestBuys locations, that should also drive some incremental revenue.

Future looks bright, gotta wear shades!
  • Reply 108 of 132
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    One more hour, guys, and it's showtime!!
  • Reply 109 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

One more hour, guys, and it's showtime!!

2 hours. You're getting ahead of yourself.

• Reply 110 of 132
    I'm in NYC. The fireworks begin for me at 4:00 pm when "After-hours" activity begins!!

40 mins to showtime!!

• Reply 111 of 132
    Quote:

I'm in NYC. The fireworks begin for me at 4:00 pm when "After-hours" activity begins!!

40 mins to showtime!!

Hold on to your knickers!

137.54 ....
  • Reply 112 of 132
    The last trade of the day was again a huge buy of 73253 shares at ~$137.10.
  • Reply 113 of 132
    AAPL stock halted.

As of 4:28, no reports released yet.

PM activity was around $138.40
  • Reply 114 of 132
    Report just released. Impressive numbers for Q3. Stock still Halted.

CUPERTINO, Calif., July 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2007 third quarter ended June 30, 2007. The Company posted revenue of $5.41 billion and net quarterly profit of $818 million, or $.92 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $4.37 billion and net quarterly profit of $472 million, or $.54 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.9 percent, up from 30.3 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 40 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple shipped 1,764,000 Macintosh® computers, representing 33 percent growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous company record for quarterly Mac® shipments by over 150,000. The Company also sold 9,815,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 21 percent growth over the year-ago quarter.

"We're thrilled to report the highest June quarter revenue and profit in Apple's history, along with the highest quarterly Mac sales ever," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPhone is off to a great start -- we hope to sell our one- millionth iPhone by the end of its first full quarter of sales -- and our new product pipeline is very strong."

"We are very pleased to report strong financial results including cash flow from operations exceeding $1.2 billion for the quarter," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2007, we expect revenue of about $5.7 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $.65."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q3 2007 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime®, Apple's standards-based technology for live and on-demand audio and video streaming. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PDT on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq307/ and will also be available for replay.
  • Reply 115 of 132
    mpls244mpls244 Posts: 61member
    270,000 sold per Apple's numbers. Just under 2x the activations reoprted by AT&T
  • Reply 116 of 132
    5:55 pm

In PM activity: AAPL @ $151.

Buyers to Sellers ratio is 3:1

Tomorrow stock will be up big because number of buyers will increase. All analysts will up their price targets. Also note that Apple said their "new product pipeline is very strong."

For those of you who've been holding back on AAPL - Still NOT LATE to hop on the money train!!

• Reply 117 of 132
    Just finished listening to the conference call. AAPL gives new meaning to the term UPOD. They are guiding 65 cents eps for the next quarter which no one on planet earth believes.Also, they just won't divulge financial breakdowns of their line items. This frustrates the hell out of the analysts. THe most often used phrase was " we'll provide more guidance on that when we report in October (NOT!).
  • Reply 118 of 132
    Quote:

AAPL gives new meaning to the term UPOD. They are guiding 65 cents eps for the next quarter which no one on planet earth believes.

They've been known for UPODing. But it's kinda understood by one and all that those numbers are just sand-bagging. Hence analysts set their own estimates which are higher than Apple's forecast.

Nevertheless, all's well that ends well!
  • Reply 119 of 132
    Quote:

They've been known for UPODing. But it's kinda understood by one and all that those numbers are just sand-bagging. Hence analysts set their own estimates which are higher than Apple's forecast.

Nevertheless, all's well that ends well!

On this CC, they took UPODing to a whole new level. They are the masters.
  • Reply 120 of 132
    Quote:

On this CC, they took UPODing to a whole new level. They are the masters.

"Masters of UPOD"

Sounds like a nice movie title