Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 244
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socokid View Post

No way in hell would a keyboard like this fly. It's a photoshop job no doubt.

I really doubt it's a total Photoshop job. I think it's a lot easier to mock a dummy keyboard in real material than it would be to push pixels around to make that to make that many different views. Someone that would use Photoshop to make a small object like that and make that many pictures look that good could stand to take a shop class and in the long run, save themselves time. At least, it's not a Photochop job that I can tell, I didn't notice any mistakes that would tip that off.

Quote:

I can already see the carpel tunnel lawsuits... flat keyboard? You guys are kidding, right? There are very real, very good reasons dektop keyboards are the way they are. Angled, stepped, heavy enough to not move, etc... The necessity for them being flat on a laptop is also blindingly obvious.

It's NOT a flat keyboard. You aren't paying enough attention to the pictures, it's thicker at the back, it has to be to handle that USB connector on both sides. Some notebooks are angled.

Quote:

Some of you guys really need to think a little before suggesting this piece of junk is actually going to make it to market, let alone a real image. I would return my Mac if it came with a keyboard like that.

You know, you don't have to use the included keyboard. For the most part, I've never used any keyboard or mouse included with any computer maker's desktop. I don't see why the entire computer has to go back because of one inexpensive input device that's completely optional to use, as well as cheap and trivial to substitute. There is no one size fits all.

Quote:

Mark my words.. no way in hell. jeez you guys...

We'll see. It might be interesting, but your reasons for thinking is bad are so far incorrect.
  • Reply 242 of 244
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shatteringglass View Post

If you knew anything about ergonomics, you would know that it is much better to have your keyboard at a flat position or negative angle than to have an angled keyboard that curves up. Forcing your fingers to strike keys on an upward-sloping plane is just asking for a RSI.

Exactly. And as an industrial designer I can also add that as much as some people don't like the flat keys on this keyboard design (and the MacBook's), this design is a perfect segue into one day seeing a virtual/on-screen keyboard. I personally love the design of this keyboard ... it has Apple's fit and finish on it and screams Mr. Ive's aesthetics. I have no doubt that this is very, very close, if not exactly, what we'll all be treated to next Tuesday.

And I can't wait to see the associated iMac.

PS. A new mouse would be nice as well.
  • Reply 243 of 244
    This design reminds me of the original designs of B&O stereo equipment from the 80's. Very nice...
  • Reply 244 of 244
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socokid View Post

No way in hell would a keyboard like this fly. It's a photoshop job no doubt.

I can already see the carpel tunnel lawsuits... flat keyboard? You guys are kidding, right? There are very real, very good reasons dektop keyboards are the way they are. Angled, stepped, heavy enough to not move, etc... The necessity for them being flat on a laptop is also blindingly obvious.

Some of you guys really need to think a little before suggesting this piece of junk is actually going to make it to market, let alone a real image. I would return my Mac if it came with a keyboard like that.

Mark my words.. no way in hell. jeez you guys...

I marked your words, here you go. Maybe you should learn not to speak in absolutes? And may be learn how to scrutinize images? Heck, you were flat wrong on the keyboard not being angled. I tried one out and it doesn't slip around like you implied it would.