iPhone: class-action battery lawsuit, mass AC adapter failures

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

But in this case its a $500 - $600 dollar device. I doubt many people will toss that into the trash simply because the battery ran out.

That value that you mention is only at the beginning of the life cycle, the purchase price. Since junking a device is at the other end of the life cycle, the initial cost is irrelevant. As it ages and is used, the device's value will go down. When it's only worth $100, the cost of the replacement service becomes an issue.

Quote:

Most people aren't going to go through all of that. Pretty much all mobile phone providers offer mail in phone recycling, most phones still end up in the garbage.

I can imagine that, but I wonder how much it's a publicity issue, because I've never heard of that kind of program from any carrier or phone maker. The closest I've seen for device or battery recycling was a drop box at Radio Shack or Best Buy. I've heard of Apple's iPod trade-in, but that was here, I don't think I've seen it at their store or on their site without some digging.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

That value that you mention is only at the beginning of the life cycle, the purchase price. Since junking a device is at the other end of the life cycle, the initial cost is irrelevant.

You are right with a phone like the Razr. That initially cost a lot of money and now can be obtained for free. You can easily toss your old one and get a new free one.

The iPhone isn't likely to follow that same course. The cost of the next version may or may not be less than the current version. And even if it does go down it won't be a significant reduction.

The iPhone is basically a blank slate open for just about any software developed for it. I imagine the iPhone will be useful for a long time. Other than the failure of one of its hardware components, there will be less reason to throw away an old one for a new one.

Quote:

I can imagine that, but I wonder how much it's a publicity issue, because I've never heard of that kind of program from any carrier or phone maker.

Sprint's been recycling its phones at least since 2005. I've recycled my last two phones through them and just mailed them a phone when I switched to the iPhone.

ATT and Verizon's recycling programs

I agree with you that these companies do little to advertise and encourage people to recycle their phones. They could do a much better job.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Then the answer is "no I'm not a lawyer, and I'm just talking out my ass".

Vinea, Vinea, Vinea, i don't know about you but it's physically impossible for me to talk out of my "ass"... what kind of "ass" do you have?. I slept at a holiday inn last night again and solved the national debt (i'm about to rush down to dc and let the congress know). Of course, i could have asked a lawyer before posting (i have a few in my family).. maybe i studied law but decided to switch majors or i could be a member of a family of lawyers (not saying any of this is true, just throwing out the possibilities).. or i really could be a lawyer but feel smarter for sleeping at holiday inn (i don't know about you but any lawyer who sleeps at any other place than a holiday inn while traveling, is a lawyer i don't trust.. i mean, how smart could that guy or woman be?)..

The truth is.. after sleeping at a holiday inn repeatedly, I have become one super smart person. I am simultaneously studying for the bar exams in all states currently.

Ok enough with the holiday inn (i have to send them a bill for advertising).
  • Reply 104 of 109
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Please what?

Some people here are griping about greedy and immoral lawsuits. It has nothing to do with attacking or defending apple.

Boy, do i have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. Cashier check only please.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are right with a phone like the Razr. That initially cost a lot of money and now can be obtained for free. You can easily toss your old one and get a new free one.

The iPhone isn't likely to follow that same course. The cost of the next version may or may not be less than the current version. And even if it does go down it won't be a significant reduction.

The iPhone is basically a blank slate open for just about any software developed for it. I imagine the iPhone will be useful for a long time. Other than the failure of one of its hardware components, there will be less reason to throw away an old one for a new one.

Still, the basic fact is, stuff depreciates. Apple products are no exception. Maybe the depreciation isn't quite as fast as competitors, it's still pretty fast, and faster than you would seem to admit. iPods might last a long time too, and still perform their intended function for quite some time, but previous generations sell at a very low price.

Quote:

Sprint's been recycling its phones at least since 2005. I've recycled my last two phones through them and just mailed them a phone when I switched to the iPhone.

ATT and Verizon's recycling programs

I agree with you that these companies do little to advertise and encourage people to recycle their phones. They could do a much better job.

I tried to look up Sprint's page on recycling, it ended up being a link to some odd community involvement project with no mention of recycling.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    BFD my moto v551 is 3 years old and never changed the battery, soooooo what

the ONLY battery i've changed that's an apple product was my old ibook g4 only because it was on ebay for like 10 bucks and that was 6 months after my MB purchase.

you don't understand class action suits are about the lawyers making big bucks e.g. there was a multimillion dollar class action suit against blockbuster becasue of late fees. i got a $3 coupon and the lawyers 35 million.

it has nothing to do with reality its just about money......satisfy the conditions for class action, rake in the money oh yea you get a coupon. it's lawyer welfare from business.

it's about the money, not the battery.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I tried to look up Sprint's page on recycling, it ended up being a link to some odd community involvement project with no mention of recycling.

The way I found out about it was by asking. In the Sprint store they give you a sealable bag for your old phone and charger which you mail in to Sprint.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    While many users of iPhone demands from Apple to make replacement of iPhone?s battery more accessible (today every user have to pay for battery replacement 79$ in Apple?s service centre), company Brando has released on market Superheaped iPhone?s Battery Replacement kit - last achievement of modern high technology.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Vinea, Vinea, Vinea, i don't know about you but it's physically impossible for me to talk out of my "ass"...

Heh...you continue to disprove that assertion.

Vinea