Customize Your Dorm

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Surround sound is for nerds. Just give me two honkin' speakers.

Bro, you have no experienced surround sound then. It is truly amazing. Best of all, I got everything for free!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Watch Blackhawk Down in surround sound and report back. It can leave you shell shocked in a way a straight speaker system can't (I have tried it both ways). If surround is done right, then it can really be impressive.

I had surround sound for a while. The only time I ever thought it was cool was while watching big soccer matches. For watching movies, I find it annoying, and I detest subwoofers. Regarless of the sound, I know I'm not there, and I don't really care. Surround Sound, in a word, is cute. The two honkin' speaker setup, on the other hand, is hot
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:

The English language is oft abused by native speakers and the problem is increasing.

I hear you. Just look at this:

Quote:

I remember back in college we had to Mac Pluses set up with Strategic Conquest on each.

• Reply 24 of 37
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

I have a 6.1 surround sound system in my place now. lesbian incesting stripper twins not regarded, I think I might just win.

Just wait a few weeks... I got me a 7.1 system, dual monitors (one HDTV projector) and 3TB of storage. Lesbians never looked so good. (Ok, I admit I am lacking in that department.)

Film/Video schools are awesome.

I like some of the ideas here. Keep them coming.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by december View Post

I hear you. Just look at this:

Wow. You found a typo. Pat yourself on the back. You will find many typos and other errors on AI simply because it is an informal forum sitting where strict adherence to grammar rules does not apply. If you want to fix all the errors, knock yourself out, but you won't last long. In another of my posts, I discussed this very point, but you obviously didn't read that far. Have you double checked your recent posts for grammar? We all make mistakes. So what.

Typo fixed. Get a life and contribute to the conversation, which in this thread is about dorm rooms.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    I found this (sort of) old picture buried on my HD. It is from my junior year of college, I think right after 1st semester finals (late January-ish). You can figure out the year by some of the technology in the room.

The iMac was not mine. I had volunteered to run it as a fileshare for one of the magazines I worked on in college. The Red Bull, however, was mine. As I said, it was right after finals and it was a loooong week. I handn't made it to the recycler yet.

That room was about 135 sq ft, if I remember correctly. Not pictured are a window, a dresser, a small bookshelf, and a green reading chair. The second picture is an early photograph taken after the building was completed. I lived in the room circled in red roughly 123 years after completion. Given that, if you're clever you can figure out when I was a junior in college.

• Reply 27 of 37
    Sleuthing!
  • Reply 28 of 37
    My room back in college came with a pre-installed ghost from wars past; supposedly the dorm was built near a cemetery from the civil war and some old soldier would walk the halls from time to time. Sure helped on those long lonely nights while pulling an all-nighter to finish a game/er, term paper.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

My room back in college came with a pre-installed ghost from wars past; supposedly the dorm was built near a cemetery from the civil war and some old soldier would walk the halls from time to time. Sure helped on those long lonely nights while pulling an all-nighter to finish a game/er, term paper.

Fortunately I didn't have that problem. Plus, no civil war battles nearby, but there was a revolutionary war battle nearby. Did you ever see the ghost?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

I found this (sort of) old picture buried on my HD. It is from my junior year of college, I think right after 1st semester finals (late January-ish). You can figure out the year by some of the technology in the room.

The iMac was not mine. I had volunteered to run it as a fileshare for one of the magazines I worked on in college. The Red Bull, however, was mine. As I said, it was right after finals and it was a loooong week. I handn't made it to the recycler yet.

That room was about 135 sq ft, if I remember correctly. Not pictured are a window, a dresser, a small bookshelf, and a green reading chair. The second picture is an early photograph taken after the building was completed. I lived in the room circled in red roughly 123 years after completion. Given that, if you're clever you can figure out when I was a junior in college.

2003!

the 1880 in the image title kinda gives it away.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

2003!

the 1880 in the image title kinda gives it away.

Good sleuthing. I uploaded the image after naming it, and was too lazy to change the filename. I was a junior from 2002-2003, to be exact. The dorm itself was built in 1879. No idea when the photo was taken, but 1879/1880 is a good guess.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    I never did, but the guy across the hall seemed to every night: he would go running up and down the halls screaming.

...Or maybe that was due to other factors, such as his roommate, who was a certified nutcase hippy transposed from the 60s whose alternative life-style left few alternatives for anybody who roomed with him.

Other people saw the ghost as well, but it never really haunted anybody; rather, it kept to itself and its lonely patrol along the halls, passing quietly in and out of my door whenever it was open (which was most of the time).
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

Other people saw the ghost as well, but it never really haunted anybody; rather, it kept to itself and its lonely patrol along the halls, passing quietly in and out of my door whenever it was open (which was most of the time).

I always find it interesting when people tell me that ghosts don't exist. Clearly, they do. Maybe what it is that makes up a ghost is something other than a dead spirt (who knows), but based on the limited data we have, the dead spirit answer is often the most logical one.

Very weird.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

Wow. You found a typo. Pat yourself on the back. You will find many typos and other errors on AI simply because it is an informal forum sitting where strict adherence to grammar rules does not apply. If you want to fix all the errors, knock yourself out, but you won't last long. In another of my posts, I discussed this very point, but you obviously didn't read that far. Have you double checked your recent posts for grammar? We all make mistakes. So what.

I had already typed up how you would be excused given your country of residence, but then I thought that'd be obvious and that the smiley would signify my non-seriousness enough.

Quote:

Get a life and contribute to the conversation.

Huh? How would those mix?

But thanks for the heads-up. I choose the former; goodbye.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Another thing I wanted in my room was one of those big hands that are used in cartoons to bump people out of the way.

Or just an ejection stage on the floor.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

I always find it interesting when people tell me that ghosts don't exist. Clearly, they do. Maybe what it is that makes up a ghost is something other than a dead spirt (who knows), but based on the limited data we have, the dead spirit answer is often the most logical one.

Very weird.

Have you actually seen a ghost...sorry to derail the topic, but I haven't encountered people who believe in ghosts...ever!

To reply to the topic, being in the UK I'm a bit envious of dorm life in US Colleges - not so much of your costs though! My newest addition to my 'room' is soon to be a MacBook, what I really want is to get a lava lamp at some point.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael528 View Post

Have you actually seen a ghost...sorry to derail the topic, but I haven't encountered people who believe in ghosts...ever!

I can't say that I'm sure I've seen a ghost, but I've witnessed an event that was otherwise hard to describe, and which seemed to indicate the presence of a deceased spirit.