Apple's first iPhone software update to arrive shortly

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by othello View Post

apple may think it can sell EDGE/GSM to europe, and sure they will sell a few iphones to the mac faithful. but they won't get any series traction unless they release a 3G version.

if this software update does bring MMS support, then the network speed is the only issue remaining for european adoption IMHO

It's hard to say. iPod started out relatively small and somewhat limited in capacity, but Apple did keep improving the device. They basically chose to go with less capacity to get a small device and let technology expand their capacity as time goes on. Maybe Apple will still offer EDGE, and then upgrade as the various chips mature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Internet Radio - this would be a nice feature, even if it was over wireless only, not EDGE. Within the next few software updates, but probably not the next one.

EDGE isn't wireless?

Quote:

MMS - this is required from a phone these days, although I think there was a lot of integration with the photo library on the iPhone and other things required. Might be too buggy for the next update, but will come in the one after that.

I wonder if Apple is trying to segment themselves away from other devices by not putting in this type of feature. The "Apple Way" seems to be conducive with just providing photo sharing over email, compatibility with competing phones be damned.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

... I can't set an appointment in Calendar for 8:01.

Why don't you just set the calendar to arrive a minute earlier, and obviate the problem?

• Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

As long as they are releasing it every four to six month in a different region, they cannot avoid this problem if they don't want to hold of the 3G version until a year after they've released it in Asia.

and Asia is probably even less forgiving than Europe if faced with a non 3G version.

Actually Asia?or at least the parts of Asia where Apple actually moves product?requires UMTS, full stop. Japan and South Korea, in other words, and 3G penetration in the other high per capita GDP areas of Asia is way above the 15% in Europe.

Oh and I really hope that Apple sticks to a reasonable 6-8 month new iPhone cycle (but with software identical, discounting hardware features, for 24 months from each new model), I can't see any other way to compete in the telecommunications market.

3G American/European/Asian iPhones[1] by Macworld/spring 2008?preferably Xmas 2007 for Europe?, 3G world iPhone by Xmas 2008. Upgrades of storage, camera, screen resolution, and other hardware features (i.e. GPS and an e-cash near field contact chip for Japan) with each new model.

[1] Different models because you need different UMTS bands for North America (850/1900) and the rest of the world (2100) and Australia uses all three of them. A decently sized tri-band UMTS chipset probably won't be out for until mid 2008.

Also people should note the 3G model will have to be bigger if Apple chooses to follow the laws of physics so all this 'they can't fit a 3G chipset in an iPhone' is technically true, they'll make it a little thicker.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

How about allowing the Camera to be used to record video. I don't know if this is a software limitation or not. But seeing how they pushed the Youtube intergration, it would be a nice feature.

Software limitation, but the video would suck since the camera isn't the best. From everything I've heard Apple simply doesn't 'get' social networking. There are a lot of very cool missed opportunities with social networking and the iPhone, and I don't even particularly like social networking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

EDGE isn't wireless?

(About MMS -Ed.)

I wonder if Apple is trying to segment themselves away from other devices by not putting in this type of feature. The "Apple Way" seems to be conducive with just providing photo sharing over email, compatibility with competing phones be damned.

He meant in bandwidth terms, but I think EDGE would do okay with Internet Radio with some caching. To be fair it doesn't handle OTA podcasts and iTunes store yet (or rich client RSS, sigh), so it might be a little while.

Lots of people's phones have only MMS and no email, so it's kind of silly of them not to provide it but I see your point.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    pjdrsdpjdrsd Posts: 1member
    Just plugged into iTunes, hit check for update just for grins, and got a notice that 1.0.1 is available. no idea what it is, but it is still downloading... let the complaining begin!
  • Reply 25 of 28
    riptideriptide Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjdrsd View Post

Just plugged into iTunes, hit check for update just for grins, and got a notice that 1.0.1 is available. no idea what it is, but it is still downloading... let the complaining begin!

It's rubbish.. They may have fixed bugs with basic functions that didn't but should have worked at launch except the critical issues of ringer and ear-piece volume. Still no basic features such as ability to text multiple recipients etc. simultaneously. I'm pissed. Apple doesn't even acknowledge (from what I can gather ) what they have updated or fixed. Does anyone else regard this as simply arrogant?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Apple doesn't even acknowledge (from what I can gather ) what they have updated or fixed. Does anyone else regard this as simply arrogant?

You mean like this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306173

And as far as new programs and features, it has been barley as month. Geez...updates will come.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Actually, Riptide, as we've all read in the papers, an ex-NSA computer expert and a couple other "Security Evaluators" were able to crack enough iPhone code to possibly cause concern for iPhone users that were surfing the web at a local Wi-Fi hot spot. Unlike Microsoft, who would have taken 90+ days to address the issue, Apple addressed it in within days, quite possibly with the patch you just downloaded.

Gripe all you want, but I'd say you're in the best camp possible.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

Actually, Riptide, as we've all read in the papers, an ex-NSA computer expert and a couple other "Security Evaluators" were able to crack enough iPhone code to possibly cause concern for iPhone users that were surfing the web at a local Wi-Fi hot spot. Unlike Microsoft, who would have taken 90+ days to address the issue, Apple addressed it in within days, quite possibly with the patch you just downloaded.

Gripe all you want, but I'd say you're in the best camp possible.

Great first post!