Subtle refinements, major fixes slip into iPhone update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

The most important thing that Apple and ATT will soon fix is, let's face it, the price. When this phone comes down to $300-400 dollar range it will sell tons. Especially when people see the $59 plans with unlimited internet. And Apple will still make tons of profits at that price, especially with a $200 ATT kickback and a $300 wholesale cost. It goes like this, sell a bunch at $100 over cost. Get $200 from ATT, then continue to collect $9/month/subscriber. Not to mention the increase in sales at the soon to be 2nd largest music seller on the planet iTunes Music Store.... Oh, and they might buy a Mac too!

You're presuming a bunch there.

a) the iPhone costs $300 wholesale

b) they're getting a $200 kickback

Both are suppositions.

The only thing we know is the iSuppli takeapart estimate but in that they estimated the cost of the OS at $7! Apart from that, there's no cost of R&D, marketing, distribution or anything like that. It's just raw component costs. There's more to costs than just components.

As for getting $200 back from AT&T, that's just a guess as neither Apple or AT&T will disclose any details of their commercial terms.

I presume Apple would only get the kickback when selling an iPhone in their store, just like any other company selling a phone contract would. Or do you not have independent phone sellers in the USA? It's normal for the UK.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Talking to people it's noticably louder, but I wish they made the ringer louder. If they did make it louder then its still not working and I am deaf.\
  • Reply 23 of 25
    My updating process went flawlessly. However, I have noticed no differences. None. Must be just me..... \
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stunkcrunk View Post

the update seriously improves safari's tendency to crash. the maps app seems much more stable especially when traffic monitoring is turned on.

a note on maps...

i travel frequently and in the past resorted to gps to find my way around. recently i found that gps is absolutely worthless in cities like new york, boston and chicago (or any place with lots of tall buildings) if you're relying on it, plan to pull over wait *forever* or in a clear parking lot. if apple does add gps to iPhone, let's hope maps works without it. gps machines will not work without a signal. in the city (or any inhabited area) gps is unnecessary. the maps solution is much better.

cheers.

Took my wife to LAX for a flight to OZ last night. After checking in, we looked up some restaurants on the iPhone and set forth. For whatever reason (not too many tall buildings near LAX) the GPS and satellite radio became erratic and in frustration, we went back to iPhone, got directions and followed them, abandoning the GPS altogether.

Finally, the GPS worked as we got closer to the restaurant in Redondo Beach but by then, iPhone had performed its task and the GPS became an interesting comparison to see if the directions were the same- they were!

Anyone have an explanation for the satellite link to be so bad around LAX???- this instability remained for some 5 miles on the 105. I had not noticed this previously on the 405, even near the airport.

cheers
  • Reply 25 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Where the heck is the time sync coming from - (AT&T)? because mine is way off. time.apple.com and my cable box are in sync but both are about 2-3 minutes ahead of my iPhone's time.

Edit: It appears that it is like the Mac in that it keeps it's time internally until you go to the clock app and leave it open for awhile. I watched it jump ahead 2 minutes to the correct time. I was thinking it was more like other cell phones that kept in sync with the cell tower time, but I guess not.

My iPhone clock is just wacked. It updated this morning to the correct time but is now off by 2 minutes and 45 seconds and refuses to update.