Apple releases iTunes 7.3.2, extends font deal with Microsoft

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I think it's quite funny. Arial and Verdana is next to unusable on Windows because of the stupid font rendering, but look much better in OS X:

Everything seems to default to Lucida Grande on the Mac anyway?

/Adrian

Only in MS Word...arial seems fine in Adobe apps on Windows
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

If the W3C got their act together they could come up with a standard wrapper around TTF that could work over the net...

I don't think the font foundries would ever accept that. A proliferation of font scraper software would be the inevitable result. The mere loading of a page would give a visitor a local copy of the font that could be teased out of the cache (conceptually). Browser plugins would negate any sort of encryption for font DRM.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    I think it's funny. Microsoft refused to pay the type foundries the right to use their fonts (font designs are not trademarked, but rather their names are) when they first started. Apple on the other hand did, paying for the use of Helvetica and Times for example. Just a small example of the differences in these two companies. Now we have Apple having to pay twice - one fee for the original designs and another fee to Microsoft for their cheap knockoffs of the originals. Classic.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

How many revisions since 7.0 and STILL they haven't fixed the Movie/Get Info bug!

GET INFO on a movie clip (not TV) results in nothing. It only works if I select multiple clips.

Is this for iTunes movies?

Works for movies that I have imported but obviously I don't have access to iTunes movies, being from the UK!
  • Reply 45 of 46
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Is this for iTunes movies?

Works for movies that I have imported but obviously I don't have access to iTunes movies, being from the UK!

I don't have access to the iTunes movies either, being from Canada. I meant the "movies" section on iTunes, under Library.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Wow, didn't realise Arial and Verdana were almost identical...I'm gonna ditch Arial, TNR and Verdana now that I know they're evil! I can't see why Apple really needs them if there are equivalent fonts with the same shape/spacing that can be used instead.