Can you read this?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
[

One of our fellow members suggested that I submit this, so blame him if this offends you - not that I'm going to reveal his identity. I just want to be off the hook and not get flamed.

I received this in an e-mail a few days ago. Being a teacher trying to get students to use correct grammar and spelling, this was a comeuppance (I'm not sure if that's spelled right or not).

>Only great minds can read this

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can i cdnuolt blveiee taht

>I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the

>hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't

>mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is

>taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a

>taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn

>mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    old news.

and whatever.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Wow (Kate Bush)
  • Reply 3 of 38
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Wow (Kate Bush)

Who's Kate Bush?
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I will accept responsibility for suggesting the thread. The English language is oft abused by native speakers and the problem is increasing.

Spelling is an interesting thing, as is the new abbreviations slipping into the language thanx to text messaging.

Will oddities in text msgs begin supplanting traditional spellings?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Who's Kate Bush?

A singer -- and a pretty Crispy Critter at that.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

A singer -- and a pretty Crispy Critter at that.

Love to see you use that line on women.

"You are one FINE crispayyy critttaaa..."

*makes chomping noise*
  • Reply 7 of 38
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Love to see you use that line on women.

"You are one FINE crispayyy critttaaa..."

*makes chomping noise*

Crispy Critter is what EMT and hospital ER's call a burn victim but only to each other.

How does that apply to Kate Bush or do you have another meaning?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Pretty sure it's his way of expressing his admiration for the girl.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Crispy Critter is what EMT and hospital ER's call a burn victim but only to each other.

How does that apply to Kate Bush or do you have another meaning?

Back in the **ehem** 80s she was doing some preeetttty far-out stuff, musically. Some of her work makes Bjork sound like Doris Day.

(But she's a dish, no doubt about it.)

I think today the phrase would be something like... "da bich 'be tripin' 'an shit"
  • Reply 10 of 38
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    The conclusion of that statement is incorrect.

Nick
  • Reply 11 of 38
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Yeah Kate Bush is indeed a Crispy Critter.

Universally hailed as such and with a bod to match.

With particularly fabulous tits. Even better than mine. Not that I hold it against her.

People will say "don't you know nuffink" if you don't know who Kate Bush is and that she's gorgeous. Just as they will look bored and about the spelling thing because it's been around since the time of the cavenerds.

But everybody finds it interesting the first time they come across it because it is. So don't let it bother you too much.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    To answer the question, yes, I can read it.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

[

One of our fellow members suggested that I submit this, so blame him if this offends you - not that I'm going to reveal his identity. I just want to be off the hook and not get flamed.

I received this in an e-mail a few days ago. Being a teacher trying to get students to use correct grammar and spelling, this was a comeuppance (I'm not sure if that's spelled right or not).

>Only great minds can read this

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can i cdnuolt blveiee taht

>I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the

>hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't

>mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is

>taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a

>taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn

>mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Apparently, this is not based on any such research at Cambridge, though this text did pique the interest of a researcher at Cambridge who came across the text a number of years ago.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I'm assuming you can't read it then because there's nothing in it that's offensive.

Sebastian

As a resident of San Francisco, I imagine you must be aware that some people can be "offended" by some truly benign matters of fact.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Null.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

As a resident of San Francisco, I imagine you must be aware that some people can be "offended" by some truly benign matters of fact.

Many Americans seem to be able to be offended by practically anything these days.

What happened to the old adage, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"???
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Null.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

People will say "don't you know nuffink" if you don't know who Kate Bush is and that she's gorgeous. Just as they will look bored and about the spelling thing because it's been around since the time of the cavenerds.

But everybody finds it interesting the first time they come across it because it is. So don't let it bother you too much.

It's actually a very interesting thing that shows a lot about how our brains deal with linguistic input, and why perhaps an alphabet-based language may be less effective/efficient than a logogram-based language (as in Chinese). We spend a lot of time learning spelling, and in English it is complicated by the historical background of the language, but our eyes tend to view clumps. Could a logogram-based writing system be a more efficient way of communicating ideas?

Discuss either way.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It was all a lie.

Sebastian

I find that offensive. You are insinuating that my grandmother lied to me??!! My church? My school kindergarten teacher?

The entire foundation upon which my life was constructed has been shattered.