The UltraPortable

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    I played on one of those Sonys today. Bloody awesome machine.

Apple is lagging behind in design and better do something about it.

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/de...px?EDC=1270239
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Those
  • Reply 43 of 45
    I want a Duo size and Duo Dock. One with a Flash HD 64 GB. But a Duo Dock a big one with more ram and monitor stand etc., with a superdrive built into the dock, stripped from the duo. Completely stripped. No other HD either, No FW just one usb port and video out port. FW and FW 800 on the dock, extra USB on the dock, audio on the dock. I think you get the idea. Those were some really great models as far as small too.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Escher View Post

I'd buy one of the Apple subnotebooks that Splinemodel describes in a heartbeat. If it had to sync with a desktop that would be the perfect excuse to get a new iMac at the same time.

Me too.

For me the value proposition here is extreme mobility, and not really full functionality. When I go on business trips, I don't usually crack open photoshop or do any "heavy lifting." Mostly, I just review documents, use the internet, email, etc. WiMax (or even 3G) integration would be a real killer-app, too.

The other nice-to-have would be very good battery life, as another annoyance of business travel is having to pack 5 extra batteries. Using a full-out OLED would allow the designer to cram a ludicrous amount of LiPoly thin-film batteries behind the display, where the backlight normally resides, without impacting cooling of the chips in the other half.

A design challenge is in the pointing device. I'm imagining a machine that is small enough that the designer will have to be creative in positioning a trackpad, or potentially use other methods all together (multi-touch?).
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Me too.

For me the value proposition here is extreme mobility, and not really full functionality. When I go on business trips, I don't usually crack open photoshop or do any "heavy lifting." Mostly, I just review documents, use the internet, email, etc. WiMax (or even 3G) integration would be a real killer-app, too.

The other nice-to-have would be very good battery life, as another annoyance of business travel is having to pack 5 extra batteries. Using a full-out OLED would allow the designer to cram a ludicrous amount of LiPoly thin-film batteries behind the display, where the backlight normally resides, without impacting cooling of the chips in the other half.

A design challenge is in the pointing device. I'm imagining a machine that is small enough that the designer will have to be creative in positioning a trackpad, or potentially use other methods all together (multi-touch?).

All I have to say is, hell yes. That is what a ultra portable should be.