New iMac or MacBook for student

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    For now I'll get the MacBook and in some years when this is my profession I'll upgrade, but for my age,skills, and experience, I'll stick with the macbook.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TSuellentrop View Post

For now I'll get the MacBook and in some years when this is my profession I'll upgrade, but for my age,skills, and experience, I'll stick with the macbook.

Good choice. The MacBooks are still great machines.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Should I upgrade from the Apple website or buy it base and go to somewhere like newegg. Can I upgrade at all from the B&M Apple Store? And will there be a chance if i go B&M it won't have iLife '08? What are they going to do with all the macs of all kind they had in stock Monday?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

I am interested in getting a mac and can't decide between the two. I am entering this school year as a Senior so I have a year until I go off to college. I am interested in video production, Photoshop, animation, and web design so a mac is the clear choice. What I'm unsure about is whether I go with the more powerful and larger screened iMac or if I go with the portable MacBook for when I go off to college. I'm unsure where I'm going so I'm not sure if I will actually be traveling a lot or not. I know I want go into a carrier in the fields listed above. This is all on me and I want to spend around $1,500 - $1,600. Any suggestions?

This is easy: Macbook. You WILL be in situations where you wish you could bring your iMac with you if you go iMac. And the Macbook is a great portable little notebook that is highly underestimated by many. Enjoy it. I adore mine.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Are there any college students out there that are in the same boat I am? If so where do you go?, what are you studying?, what did you choose?, and how did it work out?

I'm not in an american college but it's basically the same thing in canada D:, i'm getting the black macbook. i'pm tired of desktops. mine doesn't even work anymore, but that's because it was a dell D:
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Should I upgrade from the Apple website or buy it base and go to somewhere like newegg. Can I upgrade at all from the B&M Apple Store? And will there be a chance if i go B&M it won't have iLife '08? What are they going to do with all the macs of all kind they had in stock Monday?

Thanks for the input but can anybody help me with my questions above?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I would upgrade at the Apple website for the ram. It's not that much of a savings. BTW, there are refurb 2.2 ghz MBPs at the apple store for $1699. Come with 2 gbs of RAM stock. That's a good value IMO.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I would upgrade at the Apple website for the ram. It's not that much of a savings. BTW, there are refurb 2.2 ghz MBPs at the apple store for $1699. Come with 2 gbs of RAM stock. That's a good value IMO.

It's a good deal just out of my range. I think I will upgrade the HDD and Ram from Apple. It seems you really save the money with the more expensive machines but the difference seems minimal and you're assured quality product. Can I customize at an Apple Store or does that have to be online?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Can I customize at an Apple Store or does that have to be online?

Pretty sure you can customize at the Apple store. I bought mine online so not 100% sure.

PS thee are refurb Macbooks there as well. The money you save on the machine will pay for Applecare which is a good idea with a laptop. Give it a look.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I saw I can get Final Cut Express HD for only $150 with the edu discount. How would the performance be on a MacBook?
  • Reply 31 of 32
    I just read this so I think I'll be fine.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

I just read this so I think I'll be fine.

Yeah, nice link. You'll be fine with a Macbook. Just get 2 gba of RAM. Macs need RAM, moreso than windows machines. Don't skimp here or you may be disappointed.